Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
08 Charger "snap" noise warming up & cooling down

Im new here so hang in there w/ me, not sure if this is the right place for help questions. Im the original owner of an 08 3.5L H.O. 46000 mile Charger. Had new [upgraded version-part#ends with AC] rocker assemblies replaced,both sides, 3 weeks ago at the dealer[due to the usual Charger trademark tap]. Oil changed every 3000 miles by dealership. Noticed a 'snap' noise after this,while the engine is warming up. It only does it for the first 3-4minutes,once every 40 to 50 seconds,then goes away. Sounds like 2 marbles or rocks being lightly tapped together,once. But..it also does it when the engine if off,and cooling down,in the same sequence! It runs smooth & powerfull,no idle hiccups or misfires,no codes! Dealer claims the noise is normal/common with the new upgraded rocker assemblies['thats the trade-off'].They cant find anything otherwise,that would cause this! They even flushed & changed the trans fluid after this to see if this would change anything..it didnt. With a 2000 road trip coming up,extened warranty running out, in 2 weeks, they say not to worry,it will be fine! Anyone else run across or heard of this issue?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Im new here so bear w/me. Not sure if this is where I post for help. I'm the original owner of an 08 Charger,3.5 H.O.46000 miles,dealer maintained. 3 weeks ago had both rocker assemblies replaced (upgraded version-"AC" at the end of part number). Post assemblies,developed a "snap" sound,something sort of 2 rocks or marbles being lighty "tapped" together,once. It does it for the first 3-4 minutes of warm-up,once every 40-50 seconds, then goes away. But it also does it in the same sequence..when the car is shut down after driving it and cooling down! No moving parts! It runs smooth,has power,no hiccups in the idle,no codes...nothing but that annoying noise. Dealer even flushed & changed the tran fluid,at MY cost,but to no avail. Dealer claims that this is normal after installing the upgraded rocker assemblies, thats the trade off(snap noise but no tap). 2000 mile,road trip coming up soon,extended warranty running out in 2 weeks,dealer says not to worry, all will be fine. Anyone heard of or ran into this?? Thanks!

·
Registered
318 Posts
My only question would be, if the dealer knew the snap sound would be there since it is normal, why didn't they tell you that first and why did they flush the trans and charge you for it if they knew it was "normal".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats what I dont get. I dont think there should be a snap sound with any replacement part. My thought was that it should sound quiet just like it did the day I bought it. As for the trans, I was there for an oil change & they recommended the trans flush due to the miles. My thought on that, I think they are stumped on this noise and hoped a trans service might solve a mystery. I am bringing it back to them to demand some answers. I think they want to "delay" any way they can so the warranty expires & then they'd be out of the picture. As of today,w/the warmer weather, the snap noise is louder on the cool down. Sounds as if its coming from under the valve covers, like the rockers are "snapping" back into sleep position.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thats what I dont get. I dont think there should be a snap sound with any replacement part. My thought was that it should sound quiet just like it did the day I bought it. As for the trans, I was there for an oil change & they recommended the trans flush due to the miles. My thought on that, I think they are stumped on this noise and hoped a trans service might solve a mystery. I am bringing it back to them to demand some answers. I think they want to "delay" any way they can so the warranty expires & then they'd be out of the picture. As of today,w/the warmer weather, the snap noise is louder on the cool down. Sounds as if its coming from under the valve covers, like the rockers are "snapping" back into sleep position.
I would take some sound vids of the snap sound for sure for proof. Weather inside the car or outside wherever it is most noticeable, and take that to the dealer also. I deal with car dealerships a lot and you need to back up yourself, because what ever they say, they are there to make money and the exception is the dealership that actually looks out for their customers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks - good idea. I did this today,captured the sound & made an appt. for this Friday. Also developed another issue in the few days that I forgot to mention. When they did the trans service they also "flashed" the computer(?). Now, we are noticing erratic shifting when you hit around 25 mph! (Was never there before the "flash"). Hopefully both are minor issues. I have faith in my dealer for now..hoping they do the right thing and keep an open ticket if these are not corrected before the extended expires. Will keep you informed. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Im thinking it may be the exhaust expanding and contracting(warming and cooling) does it sound metallic? Might be more noticeable now that u are keeping an ear open since the replacement.
And i hope the trans didnt get damaged in the "flush"
Just curious as to what transmission do u have, the 5speed with autostick or the regular one with D, 1, 2 etc?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the regular trans on this one. Thats what I thought at first,expanding & contracting but after carefully trying to pinpoint, it seems around the valve cover area. This started after the rocker assemblys being installed but before the trans flush & change. Its going in this Friday. It really does snap loud more so than an expand & contract to the point where you can mistake it for that. The service advisor said that even though the rockers were newly replaced that doesnt mean they still cant be defective.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well....3 days at the dealer w/3 techs all in agreement....exhaust expansion and contracton so dont worry. I ran the business a while ago before getting out, for 26 years & know that this is not what is. I wouldnt have brought it there if thats what it was,I know the difference! I cant come up w/a diagnosis & seems neither can they. Imagine going to the doctors with an illness and they say"dont worry!"

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Some cars do it some dont
I dont think ive ever heard mine do it, if i have then itd have to be very lightly
But i have been next to cars and trucks that sound very loud in this, click click tick tang tick tick tang
Idk what else to tell ya, maybe different material used for exhaust?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts