Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, when I bought my car from the dealer the tire pressure was 32 psi. This morning when I got in my car the warning came on since they dropped to 28 psi. Our overnight temps have dropped down in the 40's just the past week!

Anyway. I checked the stock tire pressure max listed on the tire and was surprised to see it says 51 or 52 psi!!! Man, that seems high! I reset my tires to 32 psi. Are most of you running around 32 psi?

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Okay, when I bought my car from the dealer the tire pressure was 32 psi. This morning when I got in my car the warning came on since they dropped to 28 psi. Our overnight temps have dropped down in the 40's just the past week!

Anyway. I checked the stock tire pressure max listed on the tire and was surprised to see it says 51 or 52 psi!!! Man, that seems high! I reset my tires to 32 psi. Are most of you running around 32 psi?
30-32 here

·
Registered
857 Posts
32 psi seems optimal here. I ran with 38 on the front F1's for a few weeks and they began to cup. Ugly. Lowered the pressure to 32 and they haven't become worse.
It is not uncommon to see your tire pressure drop like that due to cold weather. When I was running around last winter with the car, I would see the pressures go from 30-32 down to like 26 or less when the temperature dropped 20 or more degrees. It isn't easy to keep up with having to inflate or deflate tires all that often, but considering the cost of the things, you probably want to put in the effort.

·
Registered
351 Posts
That often happens in the winter. No need to go out a fill 'em back up. Take a five minute drive and recheck your pressures. Then take a reading later in the afternoon when the temp has come back up. You'll likely be all good.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Tried that the first time the temperature dropped off, but nope! The pressure obviously came up after driving some distance due to the air inside the tire warming, but I still had to add air.
Then again, when the temperature climbed back up to semi-civilised temperatures, my tire pressure was wayyyy up. Thats when you need to bleed off some excess air. It is a PITA, but its a small price to pay in order to save excess wear on some rather pricy tires.

·
Registered
857 Posts
You may also notice where I reside. It is not uncommon to see a 20 degree celcius (36f) swing in air temperature in one day.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Agreed; My tire pressure warnings were on each morning I started out (temp. in the 30's or 40's), but came back up after the tires warmed. Just to make sure, though, I put some air in them to keep them at 33psi. I got sick of the warnings.

I too saw that the max psi rating is 51psi. What would happen if you inflated them to even close to that number?

·
Registered
351 Posts
It would BEE (heh heh) one hell of a rough ride and dangerous to run them that high. I'm in SoCal and the temps do swing, but they don't get that low. Last winter I didn't have to do any adding or bleeding whatsoever. Getting 'em filled with Nitrogen might help you out a bit.

·
Registered
660 Posts
36 PSI all the way around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts