Charger Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys i'm having trouble removing my shifter, i recently got a shifter bezel from Billet tech i went to install it.
i removed the chrome trim ring from the bottom of the shifter but the shifter wont pull up.. i thought that it should just pull up and that was it.. am i doing anything wrong? my car build date is march 07 so it shouldnt be the screw type..

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
460 Posts
I am interested in how this turns out since I am going to be doing the same thing as soon as my parts come in.

thanks
Brian

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
very interesting...i just switched mine over a month ago and when i popped the chrome piece down the shifter knob slid right off. did you try moving it from side to side...shifter knob wise? maybe it just needs to be loosened up a bit.:smoke:

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
very interesting...i just switched mine over a month ago and when i popped the chrome piece down the shifter knob slid right off. did you try moving it from side to side...shifter knob wise? maybe it just needs to be loosened up a bit.:smoke:

nothing seems to work.. my charger is a road and track so it has the leather trimmed peice with red stiching and it looks like all the 07's who have removed the shift knob are r/t's and the design is different...

bremo, maybe this could help you but unfortunatley it didnt work for me :(
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46531&highlight=shift+knob+removal

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK guys.. its official i'm a dumb ass!!!! it turns out that the shifter i have is a screw type!!!! after struggling since this morning and trying to figure it out i thought to my self.. screw it let me turn it and if it breaks then so be it lol..
well i turn it and then puff it spins.. spin...spin...spin... and its out!!!

and this is the final result!

BT rocks!!!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
OK guys.. its official i'm a dumb ass!!!! it turns out that the shifter i have is a screw type!!!! after struggling since this morning and trying to figure it out i thought to my self.. screw it let me turn it and if it breaks then so be it lol..
well i turn it and then puff it spins.. spin...spin...spin... and its out!!!

and this is the final result!

BT rocks!!!!!
When did you buy your Charger? If it was in 06 or even early 07 then that's probably why it's a screw type. I have a build date of July for my Charger R/T and I just ordered a shifter knob from Billet Tech. I shot them an email reminding them of the shifter change (I know they are the best and it was probably not needed but I wanted to make sure.). I'm not absolutly sure about mine having the non screw type but I assume that since it does have a build date in the month of july that it is the non screw type. I hope when I get it everything goes alright.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey CHARGENAHEAD, my charger was ordered in january and had a build date of march... if your charger is the non screw typr then it'll be really easy to get it to come off... other wise all you have to do is turn counter clock wise and voila...

btw for a july build chances are its not the screw type :).

·
Registered
460 Posts
when is the offical break for the model? Is is Jul

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
460 Posts
11/08/06 is when the break in the '07's change. Anything before is an early model and anything after is a '07 and a half. Mine was build in August and it was a screw off shifter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Update:

Got my Shifter today and installed it just fine. I kept the old shifter just in case I want to switch back for some strange reason. I seriously doubt that will ever happen though. The Billet Tech one is 10 times better than the old one. I can't believe how awesome it looks. Check it out along with my Radio and AC button upgrades.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
this may sound stupid but when you pry the bottom ring off to remove the shifter, do you pry from where the little notch is at the bottm or between the shifter and the chrome piece below the shifter?

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you pry it down from between the shifter and the chrome piece below the shifter

:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts