Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post on this message board....posted on the charger****** previously...so not sure if we are all the same people or not, but I figured what the heck.
Seems like I have a LEMON...this makes me very sad. :(

Let me start with 17 days...that is how many days my car has been in the service/body shop in the past month.

Oct. 8, 2007: Get in car first thing in the morning...click, delay, click, delay click...no start. Call my husband and he says it sounds like the battery...I told him that the clicks I am hearing do not sound like a dead battery. Interior lights/radio/Sirius receiver all functioned fine at this point as well. Called dealership...they say call roadside assistance. They come and the guy immediately says dead battery and proceeds to jump start the car. We let it run for a little bit then he leaves...I take the car over to the dealership and they run all sorts of tests and come up with nothing. I leave the dealership thinking oh well...maybe just a fluke...no worries. :)

Oct. 16, 2007: Scheduled appt to have the service dept check into this knocking sound I was hearing which didn't seem normal. I took the service dept manager for a short spin around the block and he acknowledged the knocking sound. I leave the car with them and they discovered that I needed a new SHORT BLOCK! They provided me with a rental (Oct 18-27th) while the short block was being replaced.

Oct. 27, 2007: Get a call that my car is ready to be picked up. They had a little trouble getting the short block and everything else put back together and the car was misfiring but they got all that worked out, so I could pick the car up on Saturday morning.
When I get to the dealership I notice some massive scratches on my drivers side doors...front and back. I promptly report this to the gentleman in the service dept and he looks at it and tells me to bring it back on Monday for the service manager to look at.

Oct. 29, 2007: Take the car back so they can look at the scratches...the scratches are deep. They hesitantly send me to a local body shop where they try to buff them out but that didn't work. They call the service guy and tell him that it will require painting both doors. I head back to the dealership and they provide me with a rental (Oct. 29-31).

Oct. 31, 2007: I pickup the car after the paint job which looks great. Car is running fine...sounds great and feels great!

Nov. 1, 2007: Get in car first thing in the mornig and it would not start. I jump started it with success and proceeded to head back to the dealership. Car goes into Limp Home Mode...I get it to the dealership and they start trying to trace the battery issue since that is what I started with (jump starting it earlier). They provide me with another rental car because I needed to get around town that day. They kept the car through Friday and I picked it up that evening. The reason for the car not starting was my SIRIUS satellite receiver which I kept plugged into the center console. It had drained the battery enough to not allow the car to start in less than 12 hours! (rewind: when car was in body shop for paint the receiver was on the whole time...picked the car up and it started fine and drove fine on the 31st of Oct)

Car drove and rode fine over the Nov. 3-4th weekend.

Nov. 5, 2007: Start the car up a bit rough on startup. I proceed to drive out of my neighborhood and notice that it doesn't seem to be responding well. I pushed on the gas pedal and the car gets up to 2k rpm...and no more...if I pushed the pedal down to the floor the car would start bucking. LIMP HOME MODE AGAIN?!!! I immediately drove it to the dealership and reported this issue. This time the battery was not directly involved. They kept the car and got me a rental again.
The service rep calls me around 3pm and reports that they cannot duplicate the problem and there are no errors recorded like it never happened! I can't believe this.
He tells me that they are going to leave the computer connected to it and send it home with a tech and let him drive it back in first thing in the morning.
I get a call this morning only to report that nothing bad happened while the tech had the car. :(

Will the LIMP HOME MODE just go away after you let the car sit for a while? Why wouldn't it leave any error codes? Could the techs be doing something incorrectly? Could the error codes get erased somehow?

I LOVE my car....and I am hoping they can FIX the problems....but if they can't I will seek a replacement charger using the Lemon laws of VA.

As one guy put it....maybe my car is possessed! LOL

·
Registered
8,992 Posts
Ouch... ouch... more ouch...

Well, an exorcism at this point certainly couldn't hurt!

Good luck with it! :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
That sucks! Last week when I installed my intake I disconnected the battery and when I was done with the install I tried to start my car but it didn't start. I freaked out a litte and then realized that I forgot to connect the battery. Just a little humor to lighten the mood. Good luck with your car :nervous s

·
Registered
780 Posts
First post on this message board....posted on the charger****** previously...so not sure if we are all the same people or not, but I figured what the heck.
Seems like I have a LEMON...this makes me very sad. :(

Let me start with 17 days...that is how many days my car has been in the service/body shop in the past month.

Oct. 8, 2007: Get in car first thing in the morning...click, delay, click, delay click...no start. Call my husband and he says it sounds like the battery...I told him that the clicks I am hearing do not sound like a dead battery. Interior lights/radio/Sirius receiver all functioned fine at this point as well. Called dealership...they say call roadside assistance. They come and the guy immediately says dead battery and proceeds to jump start the car. We let it run for a little bit then he leaves...I take the car over to the dealership and they run all sorts of tests and come up with nothing. I leave the dealership thinking oh well...maybe just a fluke...no worries. :)

Oct. 16, 2007: Scheduled appt to have the service dept check into this knocking sound I was hearing which didn't seem normal. I took the service dept manager for a short spin around the block and he acknowledged the knocking sound. I leave the car with them and they discovered that I needed a new SHORT BLOCK! They provided me with a rental (Oct 18-27th) while the short block was being replaced.
!!!!!!! This was a brand new car? !!!!!!!!!!

Oct. 27, 2007: Get a call that my car is ready to be picked up. They had a little trouble getting the short block and everything else put back together and the car was misfiring but they got all that worked out, so I could pick the car up on Saturday morning.
When I get to the dealership I notice some massive scratches on my drivers side doors...front and back. I promptly report this to the gentleman in the service dept and he looks at it and tells me to bring it back on Monday for the service manager to look at.

Oct. 29, 2007: Take the car back so they can look at the scratches...the scratches are deep. They hesitantly send me to a local body shop where they try to buff them out but that didn't work. They call the service guy and tell him that it will require painting both doors. I head back to the dealership and they provide me with a rental (Oct. 29-31).
I'm glad for you tht they re-painted the entire door. Does it match the quarter panels OK?

Oct. 31, 2007: I pickup the car after the paint job which looks great. Car is running fine...sounds great and feels great!

Nov. 1, 2007: Get in car first thing in the mornig and it would not start. I jump started it with success and proceeded to head back to the dealership. Car goes into Limp Home Mode...I get it to the dealership and they start trying to trace the battery issue since that is what I started with (jump starting it earlier). They provide me with another rental car because I needed to get around town that day. They kept the car through Friday and I picked it up that evening. The reason for the car not starting was my SIRIUS satellite receiver which I kept plugged into the center console. It had drained the battery enough to not allow the car to start in less than 12 hours! (rewind: when car was in body shop for paint the receiver was on the whole time...picked the car up and it started fine and drove fine on the 31st of Oct)
They probably had the battery disconnected while there to be painted.

Car drove and rode fine over the Nov. 3-4th weekend.

Nov. 5, 2007: Start the car up a bit rough on startup. I proceed to drive out of my neighborhood and notice that it doesn't seem to be responding well. I pushed on the gas pedal and the car gets up to 2k rpm...and no more...if I pushed the pedal down to the floor not a good idea, these pedals were not meant to be floored. Some members have broken their gas pedals off. http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57461the car would start bucking. LIMP HOME MODE AGAIN?!!! I immediately drove it to the dealership and reported this issue. This time the battery was not directly involved. They kept the car and got me a rental again.
The service rep calls me around 3pm and reports that they cannot duplicate the problem and there are no errors recorded like it never happened! I can't believe this.
He tells me that they are going to leave the computer connected to it and send it home with a tech and let him drive it back in first thing in the morning.
I get a call this morning only to report that nothing bad happened while the tech had the car. :(

Will the LIMP HOME MODE just go away after you let the car sit for a while? Why wouldn't it leave any error codes? Could the techs be doing something incorrectly? Could the error codes get erased somehow?

I LOVE my car....and I am hoping they can FIX the problems....but if they can't I will seek a replacement charger using the Lemon laws of VA.

As one guy put it....maybe my car is possessed! LOL
I hope this all works out for you. I have an SE also, and have not had any of these troubles.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Sorry to hear the headaches. I would tell them that since your tranny has gone into limp mode more than once, you want the PCM and the TCM re-flashed or replaced with a new one.

There should always be a code stored for limp mode. And yes, if you pull over, shut the engine off and then re-start it, the tranny should be back to normal. If it stays in limp mode, get to the dealer.

As for the battery, many folks have had issues with the OEM batteries going dead. Some batteries had dead cells while others might have caused the issue, such as having that receiver plugged in, constantly trickling down the battery.

Your case, your battery might be on the edge of not having enough amps to crank the starter, and every once in awhile you get a no start.

I know this sounds like a pain in the rear end, but pull the receiver out when your not driving the car for a month and see how it goes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The paint appears to be a fine match.

You are probably right about the battery being disconnected.

When I say push the pedal down to the floor I didn't actually hit the floor with it but I pushed it enough to where I should have gotten a response...well it was a response but not the one I wanted. :)

The service manager told me that it probably didn't go into Limp Home Mode because it didn't leave a code.

I just can't imagine why the satelite receiver would drain the battery so quickly...I used the same reciever in my chevy astro and it never killed the battery except once when I didn't use the van for a couple weeks....but at that point everything was dead....eg..lights, radio, yada yada yada.

Well I have plugged the satelite into the lighter plug instead of the console...so I am hoping it never happens again! :) If the issues never happen again I will be so so happy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts