Charger Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Hmmmmm, I think I like them! I have seen these penty of times before on other Chargers and wasn't too crazy about em. I saw them on a TB daytona and wasn't too crazy about them either. But I have been looking for something to do with my taillights for some time now---for exactly the reasons you mentioned (i.e. huge OEM lights that stick out and something to flow with matte black trunk lid decal). I really wanted to do the painted and spray tinted taillight setup because I think that looks hands down the best, but it is really expensive to get done, and I cant be without taillights for a week or more. I am going to look around for some local places that might do this type of procedure. If I dont have any luck, I might look into these because now I see how they look on a fellow Sublime, and they arent that expensive to boot! Any more pictures or broad-angled shots of the car would be nice. Thanks!

-Pat

-PS I think these would go good with the black wheels Im running too....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sublime,

I know a guy who "says" he can do it.

He's not very dependable, but I saw some of his work and it looks great.

He says it takes about 2 hours, and he can make em as light or dark as you want fro 70 bucks.

He says it's also easily reversible with paint thinner.

773 933 RIMS ask for James, maybe you will have better luck than I did.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll do it

.....Any more pictures or broad-angled shots of the car would be nice. Thanks!

-Pat

-PS I think these would go good with the black wheels Im running too....
Hey there SublimeDaytona268,

I'll get some more pics and also some of the LEDs lit up so you can see them a bit more. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
What color do the LED's emit when you apply the brakes? What about turn signals? I have the smoked tail factory tail lamps and they are hard to see during the day. Afraid Johnny Law is going to catch up with me one day so looking for an alternative.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
if the brakes applied any color other than red, they'd be illegal so i'm sure its red

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep

Even during daylight hours?
The new LED taillights are much brighter than my OEMs, even in daylight, but remember mine are Not smoked/tinted.

You could run Altezza smoked LED and likely be As Bright as OEM - but I have not seen a set in person to say for sure.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
dam those look really good

·
Registered
45 Posts
The LEDs you have look like the ones I bought for my 07 Charger (Eagle Eyes?) off of ebay.

Did you have a problem with both turn signals illuminating solid on when the ign is on? Mine do that...not good. If one OEM tail is in, it's okay. But both LEDs and problem! This is my second set and both did it....

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm

Hi, I got your PM and linked you the e-bay auction I bought from.

I'm not easily pleased (yes I'm picky what can I say?) and I am extremely happy with them.

I had my gal help me check to make sure they don't do anything silly when both signals are on (I used the hazards, also turned on lights, signals brakes you name it) and they look great.

Do you have a volt meter? You should check the voltage on the connector and see 12.7 volts DC with the car off. Aside from that I cannot imagine what else is going on without more info.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hey X E Ryder,
That is a nice write-up which should serve as the directions for future installers. I installed the same light on my SRT8 and have received many compliments. They look great on your Sublime.

One suggested addition to your write-up. When you disconnect the stock lights, plug in the new ones and test them before you actually install them. If they work fine, continue the install. If they don't, then you save a little time. And I mean little because the install takes about 30-45 minutes total time!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well...

....can you explain a little more about the extra foam? Mine seemed to fit perfectly out of the box.
In the lower left corner of my composition picture you see the back of the tailight? The electrical connector on the back of the tailight that goes through the car's sheet metal body, has a small piece of foam to seal it. Your OEM lights should have the foam around the connector, you need to remove it and reuse if your new units don't supply it.

Hey X E Ryder,
That is a nice write-up which should serve as the directions for future installers. I installed the same light on my SRT8 and have received many compliments. They look great on your Sublime.

One suggested addition to your write-up. When you disconnect the stock lights, plug in the new ones and test them before you actually install them. If they work fine, continue the install. If they don't, then you save a little time. And I mean little because the install takes about 30-45 minutes total time!
Thanks! Also, I have edited my original text with your suggestion. :)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
In the lower left corner of my composition picture you see the back of the tailight? The electrical connector on the back of the tailight that goes through the car's sheet metal body, has a small piece of foam to seal it. Your OEM lights should have the foam around the connector, you need to remove it and reuse if your new units don't supply it.
OK I see it now, I'll have to go back and check the new ones - likely did not have the foam as they are same as yours. As for the other stick-on bits of foam, well I don't think I need them - but I could be proven wrong once I take the lights off to check for the other OEM foam. Will let you know after this weekend...

Thanks for the great write-up! I am sure others will benefit from it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your Call But...

...As for the other stick-on bits of foam, well I don't think I need them - but I could be proven wrong once I take the lights off to check for the other OEM foam. Will let you know after this weekend...

Thanks for the great write-up! I am sure others will benefit from it.
I used the foam to provide about a fingernails gap between the paint job and the light housing. As you drive bumpy roads/enter driveways and such you don't want to have the light slowly rub a raw spot on your paint (yes I might be overdoing it a bit hehe).

You are welcome! I have found Great information on this forum and I like to be able to offer something useful back to community. Stay tuned for my video and pic clips of a NAV radio install this weekend! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts