Charger Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. On my 2006 charger RT, the passenger seat belt chimes even though the seat belt is in use and fastened correctly. The dash light also lights up. Any ideas? I thought about using canned air to lightly blow out the inside of the latch part in case its just dirt or debris in it, but although I dont know much about cars, at the last minute it occured to me the seat belt and airbag are obviously tied together somehow and didnt want to inadvertently set off the airbag. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit AWD 5.7 V8
152 Posts
Hey all. On my 2006 charger RT, the passenger seat belt chimes even though the seat belt is in use and fastened correctly. The dash light also lights up. Any ideas? I thought about using canned air to lightly blow out the inside of the latch part in case its just dirt or debris in it, but although I dont know much about cars, at the last minute it occured to me the seat belt and airbag are obviously tied together somehow and didnt want to inadvertently set off the airbag. Thanks in advance!
Supposedly the seatbelt buckles use a hall effect sensor to detect the buckle being inserted which makes no contact with anything and instead detects magnetic fields of the male end of the buckle when inserted, there isnt any sort of standard switch getting pressed in other words that could get dirty, so cleaning it probably wont help.

Now there are 2 wires for these buckles and those and or the connector could be damaged. The seatbelt itself should not be enough to trigger an airbag, but of course if you are not certain what you are doing, do not mess with it.

If you are brave enough and willing to accept responsibility for any issue fixing it yourself may cause, I would suggest just buying a new buckle oem and replacing it. Always disconnect the car battery and make sure to wait 5-10 minutes and do things like try to move the seat and start the car to absolutely drain the car as to not cause any airbag issues if messing with that general seat wiring area. Only other advisement is to make sure to read up on the specific torque spec for the belt buckle on the 06 chargers, and it is I believe a torx screw of some size holding the buckle itself to the seat.

If this does not fix it, could be a harness issue, wiring running to a control module may be damaged somewhere beyond the buckle, or a module itself is having issues. In such case I would simply have someone else such as dodge or a trusted third party mechanic deal with it unless you are willing to purchase a service manual and or do copious amounts of googling for wiring diagrams and trouble shooting methods along with probing around and cutting the harness.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts