Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a r/t hang w/ a mustang gt? Was coming out of the parking lot after work yesterday and a red gt pulled up next to me. I thought it was stock, but he definately had aftermarket exhaust and who knows what else. He pulled away from me pretty good. About a car length. It seemed like I was starting to catch him in 3rd then we came up on traffic. Could I have taken him? My mods flow 44s, no resos, Cai.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
If he knows how to drive chances are he will beat you - especially from a standstill. You have a better shot on a roll

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've had two experiences with new Stangs. One was freeway, the other was a stoplight. I took both of them, though didn't exactly leave them behind. They are pretty equal cars, which I think speaks volumes for our Chargers since they're 4-doors!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
with a good driver a mustang gt will dust you from a dig, but from a roll you d be close

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
with a good driver a mustang gt will dust you from a dig, but from a roll you d be close
I wouldn't say DUST, but a good driver in the mustang would probably beat the charger. I think it'd be pretty close though.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Statistically, they're very close. However, the Crustang is quite a bit lighter than the Charger. You're better from a roll.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Statistically, they're very close. However, the Crustang is quite a bit lighter than the Charger. You're better from a roll.
theyre more than a bit lighter. but even then, charger loses from a standstill if its stock vs stock. when i was still stock(cept for brylcreem) i burnt a new(06 07? idk the new style) GT taht had at LEAST exhaust and a custom paint job(a nice one, which makes me think he had money for other nicer mods too)

but it was from a roll of 75 mph ;) got up to about 125 and he still couldnt pass me. then i spotted a cop, slammed my brakes and he almost rear ended me but he pulled into the shoulder lane. cop didnt even notice and he was less than 300 yds away when i spotted him lol. we exited and laughed and he asked me how much i payed for the car.

when i told him 25k with 16k miles on it he just kidna hung his head realizing that he coulda had a much nicer car than a stang with a garbage interior. nice guy tho :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the info guys. I was getting down on my charger. Guess it's time for more mods!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think you were simply beat off the line, but from a rolling start I can not see you losing:)
Roger that. I toasted a GT with my wife's little Supercharged 220HP MilleniaS about 16 mos ago from a 35-40MPH roll. It was no-contest. I have no idea what he was doing on his end of the deal, but his gf/wife was laughing at him when it was over, and he was VERY embarassed... he kept egging me on, on this long stretch of road with few traffic lights. My wife had enough of it and said "nail it" and so, I did. :lol: That was one of the best "yes dear's" EVER. hehehehe

I see no reason why you couldn't do at least as well, if not better with the Charger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A Mustang GT will beat a Charger RT. I know this because that is what I traded in for my '07 RT. In the '06 (automatic) Mustang GT I could go 0-60 in 4.9 seconds and now my time in the Charger is 6.2 seconds on the same stretch of road. The Mustang is hands down faster. BUT- the Charger feels more powerful and is more fun to drive. My Mustang had to be revved much higher to feel powerful. Plus --you can forget putting ANYONE (even small kids) in that Mustang back seat for very long. I miss the Mustang but I will NEVER regret getting my Charger. When I got it-- my co-wokers said "How's it feel to finally drive a MAN'S car?" :grin:

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
on paper they claim to be faster, but then again, it all comes down to a drivers race.:smoke: i know the charger isn't the fastest ride out there but it sure looks a helluva lot better than the gt and the rest of the muscle cars of today. also, i use to own a gt 4.6 and i know it doesn't have the top end power that are chargers have:knockout: . gotta love the charger:lol:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
A Mustang GT will beat a Charger RT. I know this because that is what I traded in for my '07 RT. In the '06 (automatic) Mustang GT I could go 0-60 in 4.9 seconds and now my time in the Charger is 6.2 seconds on the same stretch of road. The Mustang is hands down faster. BUT- the Charger feels more powerful and is more fun to drive. My Mustang had to be revved much higher to feel powerful. Plus --you can forget putting ANYONE (even small kids) in that Mustang back seat for very long. I miss the Mustang but I will NEVER regret getting my Charger. When I got it-- my co-wokers said "How's it feel to finally drive a MAN'S car?" :grin:
I'm not so sure about your 0-60 times, because a friend of mine has an '07 GT and we raced at the track and I beat him every time. His car is a convertible so it's a bit heavier, but the difference was surprising, I was consistently a couple tenths faster. It surprised us both.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
one of my friends had a manual mustang gt w/ a cat back, shorties, cai, 20" wheels, and lowered. i whooped him every time we "raced" mostly from 20mph roll. we would go till about 70. and his front bumper would be just behind my back bumper. he knew how to drive it too. i dk man, i dont think GT's are that fast, but it coulda just been my friends big wheels slowin him down.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
one of my friends had a manual mustang gt w/ a cat back, shorties, cai, 20" wheels, and lowered. i whooped him every time we "raced" mostly from 20mph roll. we would go till about 70. and his front bumper would be just behind my back bumper. he knew how to drive it too. i dk man, i dont think GT's are that fast, but it coulda just been my friends big wheels slowin him down.
believe it or not, bigger wheels will SLOW ANY CAR DOWN.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
believe it or not, bigger wheels will SLOW ANY CAR DOWN.
thats pretty obvious. i'm not dumb. but his wheels were only 20's and they were staggered so the ones in the front were probably pretty light. plus i'm stock and he had all that other stuff.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
thats pretty obvious. i'm not dumb. but his wheels were only 20's and they were staggered so the ones in the front were probably pretty light. plus i'm stock and he had all that other stuff.
it really doesnt matter if they were 20s, 19 and above diammeter rims will slow you down. i really doubt that his new rims are lighter than stock ones. Light rims = A LOT OF MONEY.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
.....ok.....
..........you are welcome..........but getting back to the topic, if u raced your buddy from a roll i can see you edge him out, cuz your weight disadvantage wont be as bad as if you were racing him from a dig.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
If he knows how to drive chances are he will beat you - especially from a standstill. You have a better shot on a roll
I talked to a Deputy Sheriff that had driven the police Charger. He says they won't start running right until they get to 70 MPH. Not sure how our Chargers compare to those.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts