Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 06 r/t looking to swap a diffrent gear into it i belive mine has a 3.08 gear like to go to the tallest gear i can without swapping to the getrag diff and spending a ton of money unless someone knows a way to for less than what i find the getrag swap kits for
where can i get a ring and pinion kit for this car at?
or what other year or model lx platform cars have a more aggressive gear in them like to be 3.73 or 4.11 gear
car will be used as a hot street strip car on drag radials and spray aong with the regular bolt on stuff

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
'06 R/T has a 210mm 2.82 rear end.

The 3.06 is a 215mm ring so you will need axles, but your current hubs will work. This is the size and ratio that came stock in the SRT8's.

If you get a 215mm set you can buy different ratios from Richmond. I think they make a 3.23 and a 3.55 and maybe more.

The V6 Chargers came with 3.64 and 3.91 ratios but are a 198mm. So you would need axles again, and this time hubs to go with them.

So the first gen R/T's are stuck in a hard spot. They were geared for mpg and highway cruising, not for straight line racing. Any change is going to require more than just a new pumpkin.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so id need to hunt down a car with axles and a diff complete to make it easier id assume
what cars had the 215mm rear ?
id imagine swapping to a 3.23 even from the 2.83 gear will be a huge help by itself

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I believe the only models that came with the 215mm were the '06-'10 SRT models. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that.

I installed the 3.06 gear in my RT and I noticed a difference, so I'd imagine going to 3.23 would give you some nice snap off the line compared to the stock 2.83.

There is a point (2011 I think) when the Challenger's with a 6 speed in them went up to a 226mm 3.73 and 3.91 gear. And I think they are all LSD. I wish I could afford to put one of those set-ups in my car, but the used ones bring anywhere from $1000 to $1500 around here.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
To change ratios of your 2.82...you either swap everything for an early 3.06 srt rear or go getrag.those are your options

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
924 Posts
I believe the only models that came with the 215mm were the '06-'10 SRT models. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong about that.

I installed the 3.06 gear in my RT and I noticed a difference, so I'd imagine going to 3.23 would give you some nice snap off the line compared to the stock 2.83.

There is a point (2011 I think) when the Challenger's with a 6 speed in them went up to a 226mm 3.73 and 3.91 gear. And I think they are all LSD. I wish I could afford to put one of those set-ups in my car, but the used ones bring anywhere from $1000 to $1500 around here.
I thought '09 and up R/T's are 215mm too, no?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
To change ratios of your 2.82...you either swap everything for an early 3.06 srt rear or go getrag.those are your options

This is not his only options. I've clearly shown he has several options. And if he chooses to go with an early 3.06 then he doesn't have to swap everything. That also is an incorrect statement. The hubs will work from 210mm to 215mm. Same spline count.

He's coming on here asking some legitimate questions. Not some junk about eBay hids or which stickers to put on his car. Let's not give him incorrect or half true info.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
This is not his only options. I've clearly shown he has several options. And if he chooses to go with an early 3.06 then he doesn't have to swap everything. That also is an incorrect statement. The hubs will work from 210mm to 215mm. Same spline count.

He's coming on here asking some legitimate questions. Not some junk about eBay hids or which stickers to put on his car. Let's not give him incorrect or half true info.

Let me rephrase....to go bigger than 3.06.

No point swapping from 2.82 to 3.06 for so little gain for the cost.

2.10 to 2.15 maybe the same spline count but look at the difference between 2.10 and 2.15:bigthumb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow guys thanks for confusing the hell out of me lol
after hunting a bit and pricing out doing a getrag swap i may try and hunt down a early srt diff at just jump up to a 3.08 if i cant find a 3.23 setup that will work im a long time ford and gm guy never really paid much attention to the specifics on the chargers and mopar stuff
id think even just going to the 3.08 from the 2.82 will make a niticable diffrence
i plan on using a 28 inch radial on the car so the added gearing will be great to have especially on spray since ill be using a rpm window switch so being able to get up to 3k of the line a tad faster will be good and extra gearing to move the weight even better

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Save your money and go for the getrag, unless you plan on force feeding the engine or using NOS the difference between 2.82 and 3.06 is not worth the cost. Spend your money correctly and go for a 3.73 or 3.92 getrag. And get a good convertor like 2800 based on a stock engine to get out of the hole.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
sure is but try shimming it and etc...now add power and the axles will break.

The big reason to swap into the getrag is the stronger axles.

If you don't plan on adding power or sticky tires, this is a good option. Once you hook hard on a regular basis this set up will fail

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gotcha thats the awsner i was looking for to justify spending tall money on a 3.73 or 3.9x getrag setup lol thanks
edit..... funny enuff the local salvage yard lists a challenger 392 sitting in there yard that was ran in to the back of a semi truck from the pics.. thats gonna be the one im needing correct ?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If you get that one you will need the hubs, axles, pumpkin, and back half of the driveshaft. Do you know if it's a 6 speed or not? If it's a 6 speed it's going to be the taller gear. If it's an auto it will be the 3.06, but it will be LSD as well. The only auto that came with the 3.91 LSD was the MOPAR 11 Chargers. (Not to confuse you anymore)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it is a 6 speed car im havign him pull everything monday for me drive shaft axles hubs, diff mounts , hardware everything 900 bux

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Here is a complete list of what you need to do the getrag swap. Your driveshaft tail section does not need to be swapped....For a 3.92 the car can be an auto if it has track pack, 3.73 were not a factory option. So look up the VIN and verify its a 3.92 car The link below will remove all confusion and doubts on what you need

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150067

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
think i hurt the trans today in my car tho. i goosed it in the snow spun the tires got a code ( havetn checked it yet ) and car would not move in any gear till i shut it off and restarted it then it was fine again

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
think i hurt the trans today in my car tho. i goosed it in the snow spun the tires got a code ( havetn checked it yet ) and car would not move in any gear till i shut it off and restarted it then it was fine again
You didn't hurt it, you just confused it. The computer detected the confusion and protected the tranny by putting it in limp mode...just like it's designed to do.

Since it cleared itself on restart, all is well. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts