1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Facts:
2006 Dodge Ram Quad-Cab Laramie 4x4
161,000 Miles
Regular oil changes
Regular rotation and balancing

Symptoms:
Vibration occurs at 48-60mph. Starts at approx. 48mph no matter how aggressive the acceleration, and continues until it seems to smooth out at approx. 60mph.
If coasting down from any speed greater than and equal to 60mph, the vibration shake the truck, from the steering wheel, the peddles and was told passengers can also feel it so it's not just me personally attached to the vehicle via the steering wheel or peddles.
The vibration also occurs even if shifted into neutral between 48-60, or coasting down in neutral from a speed greater than or equal to 60mph.
The vibration shakes the two house keys like an earthquake when its happening.
No other signs of wear, tear, or deterioration of hardware.

Attempted solutions:
Rebalance of all tires
Rotation of all tires
Inspection of U-joints
New CV axle installed on front passenger side (mechanic said crankshaft output rod was the issue, however other professional opinions did not agree)

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm not an expert, but it sounds to me like it could be the transfer case. It would explain all of your symptoms.

Just a guess, but probably not under warranty anymore, eh? If it was mine I'd take it to a competent transmission shop and see what they think.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Do you have access to another set of wheels/tires? Had this happen to me a while back on my 03 Ram, turned out I got set of tires from a defective batch. They could get balance them on the machine but the vibrated constantly on the road, especially at specific speeds. Different set and all gone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts