Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the other day I was driving around, made a few stops in the wife's Charger until i made the trip into the Liquor store.. Drove up, locked the doors with the remote, came out, unlocked the doors and when I tried to start the car.. Nothing (no click or anything) had power and all..
So I had the car towed home to diagnose what is wrong...
Well, first check was battery.. (OK)
Starter Relay (OK)
Fuses (OK)
Grounds (OK)
Battery (OK)
Starter Switch Actuator Pin (OK)
Next is going to be getting the car up on ramps to get at the starter and check the connections there.. any other suggestions would be great..

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
If the starter & solenoid check out OK, there's the ASD (auto shutdown relay) and the fuel pump relay. You can plug a OBD2/CAN scanner into the car's OBD2 port to see if there's any diagnostic codes for any of the sensors (e.g. cam/crank position sensors, etc ...)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the starter & solenoid check out OK, there's the ASD (auto shutdown relay) and the fuel pump relay. You can plug a OBD2/CAN scanner into the car's OBD2 port to see if there's any diagnostic codes for any of the sensors (e.g. cam/crank position sensors, etc ...)
I forgot to mention that I could already hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the ignition on.. but when i checked the ignition wire with a test light, I get nothing going to the starter..
Plus I had swapped the ASD relay around and even tried with a few I have laying around..

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
If the starter relay is working but no voltage to the starter it could be a problem with the starter/solenoid ground connection (open circuit). It could be the park/neutral position switch or the PCM double start override ... both of these act as starter interlocks. The other interlocks are the brake pedal pressure and brake pedal travel sensors. If the PCM does not see that the brakes are applied it will not engage the starter. Are any diagnostic codes getting logged?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, at this point, I'm going to run a test wire from up top down to the starter and see if it cranks over, cause without the relay in place, I put voltage to the post going to the starter and nothing happened.. Making me think that there is a break in the wire running to the starter..

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Or, the starter has left the building.......

Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts