Charger Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was sitting in a McDonald's drive through waiting on my food. After I collected it I was attempting to leave the parking lot. As I pulled out into the street my car had a hard jerk and then went into limp mode. Most of my lights on the dashboard lit up, and the cars temp gage was higher than normal (I have a 180° thermostat installed).

Ignore the tire pressure light. One of my TP Sensors never got hooked up when I got a tire put on my car. The car putted at approximately 5 miles an hour until I could safely pull across the street into another parking lot. Once the car was shut off I tried to start it a few times and I had nothing. I let it cool for a few minutes after looking up the P0481 code and seen that it was due to my radiator fans Or possibly a coolant leak. As of this morning I checked my coolant level and I was a decent amount below the minimum mark in my reservoir. I topped that off. Do you think that could have been the cause for it Throwing the code?

Now, since that 1st time it happened I have noticed that whenever I start my car everything is a 100% operable as normal. I take it on the highway every day to work and it drives perfectly fine. I drive approximately 12 miles on the highway before I get off to take main roads the rest of the way to work. Once I get off the highway and I start making casual stops at stop lights or stop somewhere to get food, that is when I notice my problem starts to happen. As I'm sitting at a dead stop my car will gradually start increasing heat and then all my lights on the dashboard will come on as I have shown in the picture above. Sometimes it will go away after about 30 seconds but it will come back on. But sometimes it does not. At that point in time the car goes into limp mode and I have to inch my way off to the side of the street until I can get the car to cool down. After I let it sit for a while I start the car and it runs completely normal again. But I have a very short amount of time to make it to my job and hope I don't get stopped at stop lights otherwise it will shut down again. This has only been happening for a few days. End of the last 2 days I drove it it has happened 3 times. Once on the 1st day, and twice on the 2nd day.

As for the U1120 code, it is telling me that there is a miscommunication with my ABS. Now my question is should I even mess with it right now? Or could this possibly just be a side effect from something else happening and there's a hiccup the PCM. I have far too many times just started replacing things that the codes were telling me were wrong and I spent unnecessary amounts of money replacing shit I didn't need to replace.

I have followed a few other posts on this forum with similar problems, however much like many problems it's just a bunch of people talking about related problems but nobody ever posed to tell us how it was fixed. So I thought maybe if I posted something new somebody with the new experience and answers would have some information for me.

If I have failed to give any information, please feel free to ask me so that I can add to the post to keep everyone as informed as possible. Thank you so much in advance.

Instagram.com/official_lapintaaa

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
P0481 is for the radiator cooling fan circuit. The code is set when an open or shorted circuit is detected in the radiator fan relay control circuit. There's three fan control relays in the front fuse box (PDC - power distribution center). Also check the condition of the wiring harness/connectors to the radiator fans, the FCM (front control module) and the PCM. The FCM is mounted on the front side of the FCM.

Fuse Box Diagram Dodge Charger (2006-2010)

FCM outlined in red.

U1120 is a code for "lost wheel distance message". This is set if the PCM doesn’t receive a wheel distance message from the ABS module over the CAN-C bus (CAN = controller area network). This can be an open or short on the CAN Bus or a problem with the ABS module. The TCM (transmission control module) communicates with the ABS module and the PCM. If messages are lost on the CAN Bus the PCM or TCM may put the car in Limp Mode.
Start by plugging in the disconnected TP sensor and any other sensors/circuits that are disconnected. Check the condition of the wiring harness/connectors to the FCM, ABS module, PCM and all four wheel speed sensors.

The two codes (P0481, U1120) are powertrain codes. The ABS module logs Cxxxx chassis codes. Both the PCM and ABS will also post Uxxxx communication codes. Plug a scanner, that can read all codes (Pxxxx, Cxxxx, Uxxxx, Bxxxx), into the car's OBD2 port and see if any additional codes are logged.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE:
So the dealership reached out to me and told me that it was my ABS Control Module and Pump that went bad. Unfortunately because the cars 15 years old now, the manufacturer no longer makes parts for it. So I outsourced a remanufactured one from carpartsource.com. $200 for the part plus $100 to install and $150 to program. Hope this helps in the future for someone else!
I'll post updates once I get parts and then get my car back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE:
So the dealership tells me I need the exact parts for the ABS Module and Pump. I give them my VIN and they give me the correct part numbers. I found a website, CarPartSource.com. They didn't have the exact combo I needed, so I had to buy one assembly with the right pump number and another assembly with the right module number, in hopes that they'll take them apart at the dealership and put the correct combination together and that'll fix the problem... boy was I wrong. Apparently nothing is working at all. They can get my car to stop going into LIMP Mode, but I cannot get my ABS back. So tomorrow around noon I'm going to pick my car up and take my original ABS setup and send it out to a remanufacturing company to see if they can rebuild it to get rid of the ABS light and get it back. Do y'all think this is worth it or just say **** it and deal with no ABS. I could care less if I have ABS, it's the light being on on my dash that is my biggest problem. I hate lights on my dash. If I wanted that, I'd just go own another 240sx. What are y'alls thoughts? Any recommendations for a place to ship my Module to?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts