Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Charger R/T - K&N Cold Air Filter, 20" Black Diamond BD-27 Rims, Straight pipes. ST Suspension
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,

I'm building my RT for street drag racing. More or less, getting better at digs. She's an automatic, so I'm learning how to launch better. So far, I have straight pipes from the Xpipe back, & K&N CAI. It's the 5.7. When I did the Dyno a few weeks back, I was getting 270hp and 320 torque at my peak. I don't have it tuned, which is on my list of things to do, but besides that, what else should I do to increase my HP? I'm waiting on CAM and Long tube Headers for when I can afford that.

I am also interested in adding either Turbo, NOS, or the Whipple charger as well. I've been told NOS is the way to go as long as PSI is low, so it doesn't damage the engine. I was also told Whipple and Turbo stay on while the engine is running, so that could cause more wear and tear on the engine.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
You already have this one going: Suggestions on Upgrades
Why'd you start another one for essentially the same question?

I'm building my RT for street drag racing. More or less, getting better at digs.
People here are gonna drag you for that one.

She's an automatic, so I'm learning how to launch better.
All non-modified 2006-21 Chargers are automatics.

I was getting 270hp and 320 torque at my peak.
Typical for bone stock.

I don't have it tuned, which is on my list of things to do, but besides that, what else should I do to increase my HP? I'm waiting on CAM and Long tube Headers for when I can afford that.
Which brings me back to one of my previously unanswered questions: What's your budget and mechanical ability (who's installing)?

I am also interested in adding either Turbo, NOS, or the Whipple charger as well. I've been told NOS is the way to go as long as PSI is low, so it doesn't damage the engine. I was also told Whipple and Turbo stay on while the engine is running, so that could cause more wear and tear on the engine.
Yes.....they stay "on". The fact that you might think of those items as "always on" and not something you can turn "off" (if it helps you understand then whatever works for you) makes me hope you are not the one trying to do this stuff yourself...

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would definitely do some more research regarding the options you are looking into...it sounds like you are a bit iffy on some of the topics at hand.

Nitrous is definitely a cheap option but there is no way to “keep psi low” to save the motor. That’s a boost thing. Nitrous should be consistent between 900-1100 psi depending when you spray. Shot size is what controls hp added and corresponding strain on the motor. I run nitrous on both my charger and challenger.

I would not jump into any of these options before thoroughly researching them all and picking based on needs/wants/budgets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Charger R/T - K&N Cold Air Filter, 20" Black Diamond BD-27 Rims, Straight pipes. ST Suspension
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would definitely do some more research regarding the options you are looking into...it sounds like you are a bit iffy on some of the topics at hand.

Nitrous is definitely a cheap option but there is no way to “keep psi low” to save the motor. That’s a boost thing. Nitrous should be consistent between 900-1100 psi depending when you spray. Shot size is what controls hp added and corresponding strain on the motor. I run nitrous on both my charger and challenger.

I would not jump into any of these options before thoroughly researching them all and picking based on needs/wants/budgets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's why I'm asking questions. The only reason I would want to run Nitrous, is because it's as needed. If I run Turbo or Whipple, they both will run at the same time the engine is on. I think it's the newer Chargers/Challengers that have the option to turn them off. I want to have fun with the car, but not kill the engine right away.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
722 Posts
Anytime you start modifying your engine, you are putting more stress then designed therefore wearing it out faster. No way around that.
I would stay away from Boost options unless you rebuild the engine. With a new rebuild you can get it built for boost. Then you can safely run a Boost power adder like a Supercharger or Turbo setup.

I think the cam and header option is a good one, lean that way. Once you start getting it tuned, this is where you will pick up some nice small gains.

Dyno pulls are fun but I much prefer the 1/4 mile drag way as that to me is way more fun then watching numbers on a screen.

The current go faster receipt for the 5.7 is a cam headers , dif upgrade then a CAI and Throttle body for support and a cat back. On your year model you might pick up some HP but I'm not sure, other guys with your year could chime in. In 2017 Dodge did a full upgrade on the exhaust and from what I learned there is little to be gained over the stock system. That might be different for yours, check into that.

Another way to go faster is to start weight reduction. I'm not fluid in what can be done on yours but standard things like keeping the amount of stuff you carry to a minimum , if the car has a spare tire, ditch that and get a fix a flat system like the newer ones have, that will save a bit of weight. The suspension can be lightened up with aftermarket parts , also can improve launch. Better tires with lower then standard driving pressures usually gives a bit more grip for a better launch.
Modifying the Transmission is always a good idea. Learn what Stall converter works best with your current engine and maybe the future one. A rebuild with a good shift kit or reprogramming excuse me I'm also old and old school. Sorry your maybe able to be tuned with a tune and not need any internal springs or valve body work to improve it. Another learning curve there.

These are the pathways I know but there are so many more experienced people in here with your year that should chime in.

·
Registered
396 Posts
older guy with first RT. Don't Judge, I'm just having fun.
Not a judgement, just trying to understand the best way to help. These are questions I asked before I actually had a car or license.

With the knowledge you have demonstrated I recommend buying a better newer car. You're definitely sending vibes that you won't be doing the work yourself and lack the information to do it. There's nothing wrong with that. The stuff you're talking about wanting done with the car will cost a lot of money, especially if you're not capable of doing this by yourself. You'll be in so deep you could have bought a brand new 392 car. Not to mention you're starting with a tired old engine in the first place.

I'm sorry you feel judged.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Since you never mentioned a budget, I would recommend you sell the Charger and buy a new Hellcat Redeye.
Your knowledge seems limited, judging by your question regarding Superchargers, Turbos, and Nitrous.

Find a good local engine builder that knows modern Hemis and Dodge electronics and talk to them. See what they would recommend based on your budget.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
That's why I'm asking questions. The only reason I would want to run Nitrous, is because it's as needed. If I run Turbo or Whipple, they both will run at the same time the engine is on. I think it's the newer Chargers/Challengers that have the option to turn them off. I want to have fun with the car, but not kill the engine right away.
This right here......wait until he doesn't like your answers and gets pissy lol.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
You really need to let everyone know what your budget is before anyone can help you. And not to pile on, but forced induction does not turn off.

Reactions: POWERMAN
1 - 11 of 11 Posts