Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I recently bought an 06 charger and im having a problem with it.

Its happened 2 me twice so far

When im driving like out of no where the gas wont go and i have to keep downshifting it to get it to go, can someone please tell me whats wrong?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I am guessing you have the transmission leak and are low on fluid. That is my wild guess with so little info.

FYI, there is a Chrysler TSB on this gasket issue which causes the leak and should be fixed for free.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
If it is an R/T it has a 5.7L V8. If it is a SXT or SE it is a V6, and we would probably want to know which V6 (2.7L or 3.5L).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when it happens my engine doesnt shut off it just revs when i hit the gas and i have to downshift on my own to kick it back into gear

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
See if you can look under the car on from the passenger side ... behind the engine is this large metallic thing with a flat bottom (that's your transmission ;)) ... on the right side of it there's a round plug that may be leaking and look like this :

You should probably check after it sits for a little while, to give it time to drip.

If it's leaking, low transmission fluid can cause what you're describing ...

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
See if you can look under the car on from the passenger side ... behind the engine is this large metallic thing with a flat bottom (that's your transmission ;)) ... on the right side of it there's a round plug that may be leaking and look like this :

You should probably check after it sits for a little while, to give it time to drip.

If it's leaking, low transmission fluid can cause what you're describing ...
thanks a lot... how much do you think it would cost to fix? cuz i know im not under warranty.. and i was wondering since it was recalled shouldnt they fix it for free?

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
thanks a lot... how much do you think it would cost to fix? cuz i know im not under warranty.. and i was wondering since it was recalled shouldnt they fix it for free?
It wasn't and isn't a recall .... a TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin .... it's a way for dealership techs to be informed of a common problem and how to fix it.

See here if you plan on trying the repair yourself, which is do-able (if you have the leak) : http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104066

A great thread to check out when you have some time : http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67858

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
how much would it cost to get it fix at the shop?
From what I've heard, most dealerships charge .5-1.0 hr labor + the part about $9-$10 plus maybe some fluid, so it should be less than $100-150 total ...

Have you checked, and do you have this leak ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From what I've heard, most dealerships charge .5-1.0 hr labor + the part about $9-$10 plus maybe some fluid, so it should be less than $100-150 total ...

im going to check tomorrow, my dad said he saw some residu from it but he didnt get down and look.. if its not leaking what else could possibly do this? sucks cuz i only had the car for 2 days

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

Most dealerships charge a minimum one hour labor fee even when the job could take 5 minutes to fix. I remember mine didn't take longer than 15 minutes to fix.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts