1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I have been thinking about this a long time but I did not have
the time to ask..

I always thought that the better 0-60 time I get, the better the 1/4 mile time gets...

one of the times that I went to drag race, I used the built in 0-60 timer
in my charger to see what is the 1/4 M time I will run when getting certain
0-60 time...

I don't remember the times exactly because it happened last year or so..

So the first run I did 0-100 kph in 6.5 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 14.6

next run, I timed it again, I got 0-100kph in 6.3 so logically I thought this run is going to be better... but the 1/4 mile time I got that run was 14.7 or 14.8

I do not understand, 0-60 is a part of the 1/4 mile how come it does not affect the 1/4 mile time?

I know now that the better 60' time I get the better the 1/4 mile I will run..

and I know for sure that the 0-60 time alone is not what makes a car faster than another ... it is the 1/4 mile that shows the real difference between cars..

but I do not understand the 0-60 & 1/4 mile relation...

I hope I made my point clear enough...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
0-60 times indicate how quick a car accelerates. Quarter mile also indicates the same thing but also gives you an indication of its power over a longer distance. Most of the time they are pretty well correlated.

With my 0-60 timer I'd be sub 13 seconds in the quarter if I was below 4.72 seconds on 0-60 timer. With a cam, etc. that changed.

My best 0-60 stock with SRT8 was 4.44 With cam, etc. I couldn't get close to that on the street due to losing traction. I got some Nitto 555r 20" drag radials (not the stickiest) and without a burnout I got a best of 4.22 I still have to baby it off the line though. With perfect grip and cooler weather (40s vs. 70s) I should be sub 4 in 0-60.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, but I do not understand why did I lose 0.1 of the 1/4 mile time when I gained 0.2
in 0-60?

the best 1/4 mile I ran so far was 14.42 whith less than 45.000 miles on the car, with garbage stock tires, and not much of "launch experiance", back then I used to run 0-100kph in about 6.2-6.3 seconds so 0-60 is suppose to be less...

With my mopar CAI and diablo 93 tune and better stock size tires I ran 0-100 in 5.7 - 5.8 easily.. again 0-60 suppose to be less..
and I was using 91 octane at the time...

what do you expect I would run in 1/4 mile?

as the track is closed I can't try it..

·
Registered
1 Posts
0-60 times to 1/4 mile and 1/8 mile times calculator

check out this website for a calculator that will estimate your times depending on what data you put in---from your timeslip it will calculate your 0-60 times... pretty cool.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/0-60_equation.php

and if you click on "back to calculators" at the bottom then there is a whole bunch of cool calculators to use... have fun

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you i will look at it.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
check out this website for a calculator that will estimate your times depending on what data you put in---from your timeslip it will calculate your 0-60 times... pretty cool.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/0-60_equation.php

and if you click on "back to calculators" at the bottom then there is a whole bunch of cool calculators to use... have fun

I typed in my 1/8 mile time 8.594 and speed 81.29....4.68 LOL, give or take a couple of tenths...

·
Registered
416 Posts
With a heat soaked engine you will lose a lot of the top end (higher speed) power. How long between runs was the wait and did you use ice to cool the engine? Heat soak won't affect the first 1/8th as much as the last 1/8th.

·
Registered
68 Posts
reaction time is the killer on the 0-60'. if you have a bad reaction time then you are going to have a bad 60'. and in turn you will suffer on the 1/4 time and mph. if you can get it down right on the light and not spin also, you will usually have a good 60' and your car will have as good of a 1/4 as it can. usually it is not the car but the driver not makeing things happen.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
reaction time is the killer on the 0-60'. if you have a bad reaction time then you are going to have a bad 60'. and in turn you will suffer on the 1/4 time and mph. if you can get it down right on the light and not spin also, you will usually have a good 60' and your car will have as good of a 1/4 as it can. usually it is not the car but the driver not makeing things happen.
Might want to rephrase the first part of your answer about Reaction time affecting your 60 Ft...:D

You can sit there for as long as they allow you and still cut a good 60 Ft.

I occasionally like to take catnaps after I stage so then of course my reaction times stinks... but I average 1.5X-1.6X launches...:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With a heat soaked engine you will lose a lot of the top end (higher speed) power. How long between runs was the wait and did you use ice to cool the engine? Heat soak won't affect the first 1/8th as much as the last 1/8th.
Now it makes sense, the two runs I timed the 0-60 in were very very close.

now it makes sense.

Thank you...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts