Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
no mods, 1500 miles on the car running 89.

I cannot do a better time than 5.04

please help a inexperienced driver make better times.

is it better with ESP on, or off, or disabled?

Also, I heard some folks hold there foot down the the brake pedal and give gas then let the brake loose.

Does this help? Could it hurt the car?

Thanks to all who are patient with newbies !!!

:cool:

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
It's become very common knowledge that these cars don't fully break-in until about 5-6k miles ... I was at 6.46 seconds at about 800 miles and by approx 2k it was down to 5.98 ..... R/T all-wheel-drive ... still hope it will get quicker but for now it's all good ...

There's a lot of guys around here with stock SRT8's running 4.3-4.8 sec 0-60 times once the cars are broken-in

·
Registered
350 Posts
no mods, 1500 miles on the car running 89.

I cannot do a better time than 5.04

please help a inexperienced driver make better times.

is it better with ESP on, or off, or disabled?

Also, I heard some folks hold there foot down the the brake pedal and give gas then let the brake loose.

Does this help? Could it hurt the car?

Thanks to all who are patient with newbies !!!

:cool:
I am routinely in the 4s with my PC Charger srt8 (2200 miles now). Best time of 4.44, but next best is like 4.62..so hard to duplicate.

Everyone has an opinion..but here is mine.

TC off completely, run it when temp is 185 or less, outside temp 70 or less with low humidity (these conditions may be the most important part..HEMI likes cool air!!!)

No power brake or anything fancy..hit the pedal about 1/4 of the way to move the car..should be slight chirp..and in continous motion..as car is already moving...hard pedal to floor. My best launches all chirped the tires but did not spin.

thats my two cents...

·
Registered
350 Posts
How did you get your SRT-8 to show you your 0-60 times?
It is a feature only available on 07 models I believe...on the EVIC (dash computer)

Hold down both the music button and compass button on steering wheel for about 5 seconds and the dash computer will display an entire secondary list of features. simply scroll using the right arrow button until 0-60 timer comes up..

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
An SRT running on 89 octane? Stop that immediately!!!!
Your compression ratio is designed for 92 or above!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
How do those times compare to G-techs or 1/8 & 1/4 performance?

Cool feature.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An SRT running on 89 octane? Stop that immediately!!!!
Your compression ratio is designed for 92 or above!!!
thats what the dealer told us (the first dealer, that we didnt buy from (Warnock)

So now I gotta tell my wife to fill up with super.

I know lower grade gas makes CAT's wear out sooner ( I was told)

Thanks to all who replied.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Just look at the manual and gas cap. The SRT was designed to run on octane 92 or above. The higher compression on the SRT will cause lower octane gas to ignite too soon and cause 'knocking' - combustion at the wrong time (while still in the compression stroke). not good for the engine, regardless of cat convertor.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
It is a feature only available on 07 models I believe...on the EVIC (dash computer)

Hold down both the music button and compass button on steering wheel for about 5 seconds and the dash computer will display an entire secondary list of features. simply scroll using the right arrow button until 0-60 timer comes up..
wow, i went and tried this out on my 07 R/T and it works too...it also has a digital speedometer....pretty sweet...so once u hit the gas...does the time start for it self or do u have to press something, cuz i noticed the "ready" blinking.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
wow, i went and tried this out on my 07 R/T and it works too...it also has a digital speedometer....pretty sweet...so once u hit the gas...does the time start for it self or do u have to press something, cuz i noticed the "ready" blinking.
oh yeh, are there any other cool hidden features with the evic?

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
It's become very common knowledge that these cars don't fully break-in until about 5-6k miles ...

Old rumor, not true at all and disproved by dyno and track times.

OP: The owners manual doesn't recommend first gear WOT the first 1000? miles or so.

And its designed for 91 Octane, not 92. You're doing yourself a major disservice using 89 Octane.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Best way to launch: ease into it as fast as you can. Sounds weird, but when you think about it - yup. Try it.

WOTs are not recommended when the cars are brand new because you want the rear end to have a few heating and cooling cycles to fully harden before giving it the stress of a big launch. You will do no harm to the engine, and more than likely help it a little if you get on it early in it's life with better ring seating. Kick it down!:)

Eric

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quick question...whats WOT?
WOT = Wide Open Throtle

Another thing that makes a huge difference is the environment. I am at 4500 ft. altitude and the best I've ran is a 5.40. I haven't had a chance to try it too many times though.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
My SRT just turned 1000 miles. I turned a 4.90 this morning after work at 6:00 am. I turned off ESP completely and powerbraked to 1500 rpm. I had a little wheel spin but not really bad. with a little more practice I know I can launch better. My car is still completely stock for now.. so I am pleased with my first sub-5 second 0-60 run.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
This was in the afternoon in Tampa, FL a few months ago. Level road, about 88 degrees outside... It was a great surprise to me because most of my previous attempts were in the low 5s.

Dave

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Once you get into the 0-60 timer and hit the arrow to reset it will blink ready until the car moves. Don't worry about your times let that engine get broken in, it will turn into a rocket ship. My first run was 7.42 at 500 miles I wanted to cry and get my Stratus back, at 3000 miles my fiance turned at 5.52 at 75 degrees and motor temp of 202. Now the temps are in the 50's I can't wait to run this pig this week once the predator arrives. Your SRT will become much quicker.

A tip for launching.

Turn off ESP with the ignition key mod
Power brake up to 1700 rpms no more then 1900
and roll into the gas, shoulder roll method
Shoulder roll =
take off your shirt look in the mirror and roll your shoulder forward as fast as you can.....
Now mimic this with your foot and you will shave time of your 0-60 times

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.