Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much excitement when this arrived Thursday. Been fooling around with setup, upgraded OS, networking, getting access to flash files. Hey look - 2008 LX platform! Oh boy oh boy, Christmas comes early.:grin:

My wife is nervous - a computer nut with direct access to the inner workings of the Charger....I must use this power wisely. Already did a quick scan of my car to get current revisions of ECU's, but no updates done yet.

Wondering if any other StarScan users out there with words of wisdom?

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
With great power comes great responsibility... :lol:

Very cool! How did you manage to get one of these? I thought only the dealers could get them.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone can get them - if you have about 4 grand to spare. We got 6 Chargers at work as part of our fleet, police package, 3.5L. And part of my job is research and development of new technology. So it was simple to justify the expense. So here I am just doing my job...hehe

·
Registered
208 Posts
how are you going to update it to get new flashes without a dealer connect access?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how are you going to update it to get new flashes without a dealer connect access?
Yes, I thought that was going to be a problem as the unit comes configured for use inside a Chrysler dealership, and wanted to connect to their Dealerconnect website. This requires a dealer code and user id, so I was rather concerned we were going to have to pay for additional access of some kind.

However, I found that there is a seperate website for Fleet and Aftermarket users of the StarScan, which provides full access to all the flash files. The second photo in the OP shows me browsing available downloads for the 2008 LX Charger.

At the moment I can only do this directly on the Starscan itself, not from a PC. But I can transfer the flash files to a USB stick, then presumably get them onto my PC. Can't do much with them there though.

I was hoping to get some kind of access to the Chrysler Techconnect system, so we can follow up on the DTC's shown in the Starscan and use their troubleshooting procedures. Still, it is early days and I keep finding new features and techniques. That's what R&D is all about - and this is particularly fun due to being on my car!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took the plunge...

:nervous s

Went for broke and upgraded as many ECU's as I could. I've attached before and after reports showing ECU version so you can see the version changes - some are the same. Also, when I first tried to download a flash to the Starscan, it had to upgrade itself from 8.01 to 8.02.

First flash (CCN - EVIC) was scary - the car just chimes twice and goes dead - I'm thinking OMG what have I done! But the Starscan shows it is busy erasing stuff and writing new data, somewhat reassuring. then it all just springs back to life, chiming about 6 times, and we're done.

Did the TCU (Transmission) next. After that finished, the Starscan lit up like a Christmas tree with DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) from all over the car. Again, thought I'd really screwed the pooch. But after reviewing them, seemed most were like "lost communication with ECUx", or "lost signal from wheel" - basically a flash operation causes a major system reset, and all the other computers think someone just died.

Finished off with PCU, FCMCGW and AMP modules. So only 5 out of 15 listed ECU's needed an upgrade, that I could find.

After finishing updating all I could, the DTC's cleared, and I was left with one code related to the Sirius I added a few weeks ago. The car knows about it, it works fine, just keeps saying it has found a new device. I'll figure it out.

So a little hairy first time through, but all is well. I was hoping I might get the 0-60 timer on the EVIC, but I wasn't too optimistic, other threads have shown you really need a 2007 instrument cluster. The flash software for the EVIC is the same version number for 2006/7/8 models, so it must indeed be limited by the hardware. I've solved that by installing a Beltronic Vector FX2 - nice little unit, measures G-forces and a bunch of other stuff. Best 0-60 so far is 5.55 secs!

Fascinating stuff indeed to a guy like me!:lol:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
New toy!!!!! Lets Play:D :D :D

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
I see that you have CAN B. WHEN DOES CAN C COME OUT. DO YOU KNOW.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see that you have CAN B. WHEN DOES CAN C COME OUT. DO YOU KNOW.

CAN C is already there, between the gateway module and the PCM & TCM. There is also the CAN C diagnostic bus that the Starscan uses. Both run at a much higher speed than the CAN B bus.

The Starscan kit came with a DVD that has some training videos, one of which gives an overview of the CANBUS system. I am learning so much!

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Tyhe latest MOPAR mag has an article about the old pci and the can b and can c and cac c disg. I learned alot from that. Sometimes don't you just feel so DDDAAAAAAA. With the stuff now. I'm not stupid, but DDAA sometimes.:knockout:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts