LED Headlight Upgrade - Dodge Charger Forums
Exterior Discussion/Modifications Discussion of exterior modifications belongs in this section, even if the visual modification slightly affects performance (ie. spoilers, etc)

post #1 of 17 Old 01-31-2019 Thread Starter
Martok

(Thread Starter)
LED Headlight Upgrade

Last fall I finally got sick of HID headaches and replaced both headlights and bulbs with LED. It's taken me a few months to post because I wanted to give you guys my opinion after using them for a little while.

First off, Spyder headlights do not last as long as OEM. I chose to use them because in another 5 years I will probably be ready for something else. So first, I removed the front bumper cover. I've done this before. The hardest part is getting one bolt inside the fender. I used a 14" extension with a wobble and went through the wheel wheel. Not very fun! The headlights came with these cheap round plastic connectors that can't seem to hold in the bulb. They are so loose the bulb moves around. Although it was a disappointment, I engineered a solution using some scrap sheet metal and a hole saw. The bulbs sit solid in there now. One of the things I noticed about the new headlights is I can remove the headlight without taking the bumper cover off again. Really cool! In fact, if you see the closeup picture, I had trouble getting the bumper cover back on because of the plastic tabs on the bumper. These new headlights have the corner lights built in. So I put everything back together and worked on the alignment. The headlights are aimed high so I moved them down so I'm not blasting everyone. I put it on the road and to my surprise they sucked! There was little light going to the center. The driver's beam was firing off into the oncoming lane. I went back to the directions and found the bulbs can be rotated so the LED chips hit the refactor just right. So, I rotated both until each headlight had a nice bright and centered beam on the garage. No problems after that!

There's no flicker when I fire up these bulbs. They are bright and the beams are exactly where they need to be. I ordered a set of special LEDs for fog use only. I've never had one misfire. I was running HID in fogs and I had nothing but trouble. I've seen YouTube videos of people bashing the LEDs, but in truth a lot of what they see is because they are not aligned correctly. You can't just throw them into a new or existing headlight without some sort of alignment. It's an installer error in my opinion.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chager-headlights1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	272593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chager-headlights2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	272595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chager-headlights3.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	272597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chager-headlights4.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	272599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chager-headlights5.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	272601  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 Dodge Charger SXT 3.5

Spyder Halo/LED/Projection lights, 5k HID Lows & Fogs
K2 Black Honeycomb Grill w/ 1969 Charger Emblem
Custom Black Billet T-Shift w/ "Charger" engraving
30% Tint, all 5 windows, Class III Receiver
Diablosport (93 tune) CAI (generic/fender) R/T Exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-31-2019
that_guy

Honestly, that beam looks like it isn't doing a good job controlling glare. Probably gonna be blinding to other drivers. Notice how high up you're illuminating trees.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-14 Charger R/T Max AWD Pitch Black
-99 Durango SLT 5.2L 4WD(NV242) Intense Blue
-86 Porsche 928S (summer project, barn find without the barn)
-69 Satellite (318 for now) Ivy Green
-27 Chrysler 50 Coupe (bought new by my great grandpap)
post #3 of 17 Old 01-31-2019 Thread Starter
Martok

(Thread Starter)
It could just be the fogs that's doing it. I don't have a picture of one with the fog lights off.

I left the headlights on and drove my minivan oncoming to it. It wasn't blinding.
post #4 of 17 Old 02-05-2019
JadedMarxist

I actually did the opposite of you I had installed soem Morimoto projectors into my stock head lights after painting the inside. With the leds I found I lost light concentration about 15 feet from the light, and had a hard time seeing ppl on the sidewalk. Now I used leds in my old gtp and they were Awsome. After doing some research I discovered that leds were not recommended for use in projectors. So I decides to switch to hids. Ive not had a single problem with them just the igniter flicker just at start up. I would recommend leds in a reflector style headlight but reccomend hid or halogen in Projectors. I think the led bashing is ppl putting them in projector headlights. Assuming. The leds look good in your pic.

Last edited by JadedMarxist; 02-06-2019 at 12:02 AM.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-07-2019 Thread Starter
Martok

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadedMarxist View Post
I actually did the opposite of you I had installed soem Morimoto projectors into my stock head lights after painting the inside. With the leds I found I lost light concentration about 15 feet from the light, and had a hard time seeing ppl on the sidewalk. Now I used leds in my old gtp and they were Awsome. After doing some research I discovered that leds were not recommended for use in projectors. So I decides to switch to hids. Ive not had a single problem with them just the igniter flicker just at start up. I would recommend leds in a reflector style headlight but reccomend hid or halogen in Projectors. I think the led bashing is ppl putting them in projector headlights. Assuming. The leds look good in your pic.
Just curious, were your LEDs adjustable? My wife's minivan has projectors with halogens in them. I wonder if good LEDs would provide a better light output if they were rotated. What year is your Charger? I wonder if Dodge tried saving a few pennies by using a lower grade of head/fog light wiring in my 2010. I used Canbus ballasts but a slight flicker is still there. I've tried using the wiring harness that hooks to battery terminal and those error cancelers which I assume is just a sealed capacitor. I think a lot of the problems stem from WNY salt. I've replaced all of the 9006 plugs at some point.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-07-2019
JadedMarxist

I'm driving a 2010 rt no can bus tho. I'm also in southern Ontario so we have the whole salt problem myself. The leds were not adjustable as I had to make some cuts to make them fit but I was sure I had them in right. They were bright until like 10-15feet away then the light dies off. Now I know even the hids need to be positioned right inside the housing. I also just installed some Spyder projector fogs with halogens for the projectors and led halo rings all I did was connect them as if they were stock no cancellers. Work great. Personally I don't think leds for headlights quite work well enough yet. My halos have like 30 led lights in one ring but the headlights leds only have 2. I would stick with the halogen. Remember tho even with halogen bulbs you get what ya pay for I'd try better quality bulbs if ya can!
post #7 of 17 Old 02-07-2019
JadedMarxist

Here a pic as it stands today hid headlights led halos
It's worth noting that Halogen Projectors and HID projectors are similar in appearance, but functionally they are very different. The optics of an HID projector are designed around the HID bulb itself. Sometimes you can get decent results putting an HID bulb in a halogen projector, but it's a crap shoot. HID projectors have a wider, usually smaller bowl to give a good beam width. Also halogen projectors are usually constructed from some type of plastic with a reflective coating. OEM HID projectors are much more sturdy and made of metal (steel?). Also HID projectors are made to tolerate the UV put out by HID bulbs, Halogen projectors are cheaper and do not have any such coating. Although many people have done it, eventually HID bulbs, particularly cheap Chinese ones, will burn the reflector bowls if used in a Halogen Projector.thats from someone at Morimoto I believe. It's a good explanation.
Your lights look like there putting out enough light they look good
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_20190204_173802~2_1549562536656.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	272791  

Last edited by JadedMarxist; 02-07-2019 at 11:21 AM.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-10-2019
joekd

Garage
I have a set of custom built headlights with morimoto H1 projectors, HID lows, LED highs and JW Speaker style LED fogs

The cutoff on the projectors is pretty much perfect, it's as sharp as the OEM projectors in our Cadillac SRX

One thing I did do was replace the little metal clip bulb holders with these on the H1's, no bulb wiggle at all now https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mo...o-hol1der.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lightson.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	272851  

Inferno red Charger SRT8
post #9 of 17 Old 02-10-2019
that_guy

Projectors are the far superior option to throwing LEDs and hids in optics that weren't designed for them.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-11-2019
Chopper

You really don't have to go thru yo much anymore.
I just put a 8,000 k HID headlight kit from Amazon and bought the Canbus harnesses. It doesn't throw any codes and goes right into your factory housing unit.
Heres the link for both on Amazon
I liked the 8,000 l Lumen w a slight blue. Got rid of the factory sylvania halogen bulbs. They burn hotter than hell and are not that bright.
I Love this set up and it's not Expensive either and Way Brighter...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20190211-214950_Amazon Shopping_1549950602967.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	272877  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications