Police can now get an AWD Hellcat - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger SRT Hellcat Supercharged 6.2L Discussion Would you like the BLACK KEY or the RED KEY?

post #1 of 7 Old 09-07-2018 Thread Starter
JFire72

(Thread Starter)
Police can now get an AWD Hellcat

Saw that R/T Life on YouTube posted a video about this and I said to myself ya right, so I looked it up myself. Holy crap would be the first words out if my mouth seeing my local PD running around with one of these.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...er-srt-hellcat

Now that it is actually possible to get AWD on something like this, it would be nice to at least have an option to special order it on a civilian model.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2018 Plum Crazy Daytona 392: 20% Window Tint, Luxe Auto Taillight and Side Marker Vinyls, Thinkware F770 Front & Rear Dash Cam
**Traded In 2018**2016 Maximum Steel Raylle AWD: 20% Window Tint, Luxe Auto Rear Tail Light and Side Marker Vinyls, K&N Cai, Thinkware F770 Front & Rear Dash Cam
**Traded In 2017**2008 Torred SXT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-08-2018
THEJUDGE
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Pretty cool concept especially the AWD part but I’m in law enforcement and I can’t see there being much demand for it though.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-08-2018
senor dodge

Some places like Chicago are more dangerous than others.

If the criminals start shooting at cop cars instead of civilians, I can see a use.

My guess is that a security refit company would also sell run flat tires, and anything else needed to save
the lives of those who defend us from the criminals.

There is also some "surplus" military equipment working it's way into civilian use.

Over the last 20 years, our police have become more militarized...in case no one noticed.
-------------------------

And with part of the population not accepting the results of the 2016 election, radicals have become increasingly violent,
looting, burning, rioting, destroying property and assaulting people, as well as daily/nightly verbal attacks against a president who is law-and-order supportive, we need to lessen the danger to our police from violent people who are often being paid to disrupt the peaceful American way of life.

More of what is on the way is in the book: "Rules for Radicals."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-09-2018
RitzRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEJUDGE View Post
Pretty cool concept especially the AWD part but Iím in law enforcement and I canít see there being much demand for it though.
Indeed. The entire article reads like a PR gimmick. FCA isn't even going to do the AWD part for them...they're "doing it themselves". lol

I doubt that they'd move these to any real PDs and any examples that wind up being built will quickly wind up in the hands of collectors.

Best,

Granite 2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Formerly had Cool Vanilla 2006 Charger R/T
post #5 of 7 Old 09-09-2018
FlyersHockey

I'm in LE as well, and unless a local Sheriff or a PD wants something to show off, there won't be any demand for it. The SUVs are taking over, and the V6 Charger Pursuit is plentiful. We have them where I work. Considering the performance of the V6 is about on par with the old P71, it's enough power. At least in my area, the Explorer is the most dominant police vehicle in use.

*Traded* 2010 Charger R/T AWD. Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl exterior, black leather interior, front chin spoiler, Flowmaster Original 40's, tinted windows.

*Current* 2013 Charger SRT8 Super Bee. Black. Flowmaster Super 40's, and 20% tint all around.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-09-2018
yellowraregt

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEJUDGE View Post
Pretty cool concept especially the AWD part but I’m in law enforcement and I can’t see there being much demand for it though.
Northern states that have bad winters and have wide open roads and have a lot of ground to cover in a short time. North Dakota, Montana, South Dakota, Upper WI, Upper MI...I could see a use for them. Heck, even Pontiac to Flint in MI they would be useful. Our state boys here usually travel the interstates at 100+MPH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitzRT View Post
Indeed. The entire article reads like a PR gimmick. FCA isn't even going to do the AWD part for them...they're "doing it themselves". lol

I doubt that they'd move these to any real PDs and any examples that wind up being built will quickly wind up in the hands of collectors.

Best,
Actually it was leaked that FCA was supposed to offer an AWD option on the Challenger, Charger and 300 up to and including the R/T, SRT, 392 and Hellcat versions. The 300 was also supposed to get a 392 and Hellcat type offering. But the 300 was rumored to be dropped about 4 weeks after that leaked news. They were going to offer these as a way to sell more vehicles in the northern states where a Challenger and Charger can be brutal in the winter months. Ask me, I know. Only car i've ever had to call a tow truck in the middle of winter because I was stuck too bad to move. And I drove a Mustang for 5 winters and a Solstice for 2!!

Last edited by yellowraregt; 09-09-2018 at 10:15 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-09-2018
RitzRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowraregt View Post
Northern states that have bad winters and have wide open roads and have a lot of ground to cover in a short time. North Dakota, Montana, South Dakota, Upper WI, Upper MI...I could see a use for them. Heck, even Pontiac to Flint in MI they would be useful. Our state boys here usually travel the interstates at 100+MPH.

Actually it was leaked that FCA was supposed to offer an AWD option on the Challenger, Charger and 300 up to and including the R/T, SRT, 392 and Hellcat versions. The 300 was also supposed to get a 392 and Hellcat type offering. But the 300 was rumored to be dropped about 4 weeks after that leaked news. They were going to offer these as a way to sell more vehicles in the northern states where a Challenger and Charger can be brutal in the winter months. Ask me, I know. Only car i've ever had to call a tow truck in the middle of winter because I was stuck too bad to move. And I drove a Mustang for 5 winters and a Solstice for 2!!
A standard pursuit R/T is capable of getting north of 100mph rather quickly too and will probably cost about 1/3 as much up front and be cheaper to maintain. A much more lucrative market (though still tiny) is going to be power junkies like us. I don't think they'd sell many, but it would be a "bragging rights" kinda thing like the Demon was. And as far as FCA "leaks" and PR goes, I don't think that's a particularly reliable source, as your own comments show. They clearly COULD do it if they wanted to since the drivetrain is already available on the Cherokee Trackhawk.

Best,

Last edited by RitzRT; 09-09-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger SRT-8 > Charger SRT Hellcat Supercharged 6.2L Discussion