6.2 swap - Page 3 - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger SRT Hellcat Supercharged 6.2L Discussion Would you like the BLACK KEY or the RED KEY?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #21 of 44 Old 03-07-2018
HemiLonestar
Senior Member
 
HemiLonestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: MD
Posts: 1,119
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersHockey View Post
What am I missing here?

Where in the world are you finding wrecked Hellcat Charger's for $11k? Not calling you a fibber, but I don't buy it. Plus, you said you have $10k to spend, and I know the link you provided isn't what you're looking to buy, but should give you some insight. That motor is $26k. You're $10k won't go very far. As others have said, it's doable, but a mountain of work that I think is going to involve a lot more time and money than you expect.
I believe he is referring to one of these, though no idea where he's getting the $11,000 part from, even the Mopar kits are like $20,000:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Challeng...0AAOSwz~paIa5z

2003 Ram Hemi Lonestar, 2005 Magnum R/T, 2006 Charger R/T (RIP)
"Never enough time to do it right but always enough time to do it again"


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HemiLonestar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 44 Old 03-07-2018
Torqued
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 210
From another former squid to a future squid. DO NOT DO THIS

I had dreams of converting my old car over to manual.....sounds like it would be easy right? WRONG! Its almost never worth doing these sorts of projects.

If Ive learned anything in life....there are no shortcuts. You get what you pay for.

The one time I bought a car that had an engine swap, which was a 300zx NA that was coverted to a 300zx TT. This is as straightforward of a swap as it gets. Basically it was the same car, and almost identical engine and trans etc. That car was a total POS....nothing was quite right with it.

Something like this may sound great, but 99% of the time, you are going to create more problems, and spend more money than you would just saving up and getting the car you want.
Torqued is offline  
post #23 of 44 Old 03-07-2018
N8ECH
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
 
N8ECH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Oxford, Ohio
Posts: 699
Vaughn:
This kind of project is easy to imagine from the front end, but as you will eventually learn it can quickly become quite the nightmare.

Think about:

Once it is up and running, will this buddy of yours be there to service/repair it when things wear out or break as they eventually do? Many repair shops will steer clear of such work because they have no baseline for what was and was not done right during the conversion.

A big thing to remember is that no matter how much money and time you invest, it will never be anything more than an "X" year old car with beau coup upgrades. You might consider holding off a bit, and picking up a nice gently used Charger with the 6.4L 485 hp engine. This way, you have a warranty and you KNOW what you have.
The last thing most of us would want is a car that is unreliable. I had a really nice '72 Camaro from 1985-1996. It got to the point that every time I wanted to drive it on a nice day, I had to spend half a day getting it up and running.

Don

2004 Flame Red Dodge Durango SLT Hemi AWD 3/26/10
2014 Billet Silver Dodge Charger R/T Hemi AWD 10/27/16
N8ECH is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 44 Old 03-08-2018
Torqued
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8ECH View Post
Vaughn:
This kind of project is easy to imagine from the front end, but as you will eventually learn it can quickly become quite the nightmare.

Think about:

Once it is up and running, will this buddy of yours be there to service/repair it when things wear out or break as they eventually do? Many repair shops will steer clear of such work because they have no baseline for what was and was not done right during the conversion.

A big thing to remember is that no matter how much money and time you invest, it will never be anything more than an "X" year old car with beau coup upgrades. You might consider holding off a bit, and picking up a nice gently used Charger with the 6.4L 485 hp engine. This way, you have a warranty and you KNOW what you have.
The last thing most of us would want is a car that is unreliable. I had a really nice '72 Camaro from 1985-1996. It got to the point that every time I wanted to drive it on a nice day, I had to spend half a day getting it up and running.

Don
For the record, my experience was the same. I worked on my car more than I drove it....which is ultimately the reason I sold it. Let someone else deal with it. If this was a "fun" car, that you just used at the track, that is different. You expect to constantly work on those. If you intend to drive this on a daily or very regular basis, forget it.
Torqued is offline  
post #25 of 44 Old 03-08-2018
HemiLonestar
Senior Member
 
HemiLonestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: MD
Posts: 1,119
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqued View Post
For the record, my experience was the same. I worked on my car more than I drove it....which is ultimately the reason I sold it. Let someone else deal with it. If this was a "fun" car, that you just used at the track, that is different. You expect to constantly work on those. If you intend to drive this on a daily or very regular basis, forget it.
Or worse, having to drive it cross country depending on where you PCS, or worse shipping it overseas for a posting there and having to possibly work on/repair that mutant abroad...
HemiLonestar is offline  
post #26 of 44 Old 03-10-2018 Thread Starter
Vaughngina
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 10
(Thread Starter)
Update I talked to Cleveland and they are more than willing to help me they said everything is almost a bolt in job and as far as figment for the trans I have to switch the floor pans from the challenger Iím not sure who said the suspension wouldnít fit theyíre both LX cars they said total time would be around 160hrs I wouldnít take the car to shop because Iím a mechanic Iíve worked on everything from shit boxes to 1000hp 68 Camaro to 1400hp corvette roadster to cobra jet mustangs and dirt track cars Iím sure knowing that I have a hellcat everything in my car would be easy to work on as for my friend that is doing the work Iím sure he wonít get it all done perfectly but he is still good itís not as impossible as you guys are making it sound the guys at Cleveland say itís a very doable thing
Vaughngina is offline  
post #27 of 44 Old 03-10-2018
ttonyy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,501
Hey man I can't wait to see it. Good luck and send us pics along the way!
ttonyy is offline  
post #28 of 44 Old 03-11-2018
Torqued
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughngina View Post
Update I talked to Cleveland and they are more than willing to help me they said everything is almost a bolt in job and as far as figment for the trans I have to switch the floor pans from the challenger Iím not sure who said the suspension wouldnít fit theyíre both LX cars they said total time would be around 160hrs I wouldnít take the car to shop because Iím a mechanic Iíve worked on everything from shit boxes to 1000hp 68 Camaro to 1400hp corvette roadster to cobra jet mustangs and dirt track cars Iím sure knowing that I have a hellcat everything in my car would be easy to work on as for my friend that is doing the work Iím sure he wonít get it all done perfectly but he is still good itís not as impossible as you guys are making it sound the guys at Cleveland say itís a very doable thing
Lets see the 10k hellcat....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Torqued is offline  
post #29 of 44 Old 03-11-2018 Thread Starter
Vaughngina
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 10
(Thread Starter)
Why does everyone think Iím lying g about the hellcats? Theyíre auctions from insurance companies. The running and driving ones are going for 20k
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A534526F-7FE7-4FD6-8749-F2CCFC5662CE_1520797809091.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	262946   Click image for larger version

Name:	B702BC97-13EB-4A06-81F3-0C3F2ECA0221_1520797824665.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	262954  
Vaughngina is offline  
post #30 of 44 Old 03-11-2018
Ol*Geezer2018
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 726
Garage
Human Nature prolly....? I always wondered what happened to all the Muscle cars that were swamped and totaled in Houston and Florida several months ago...?
Ol*Geezer2018 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger SRT-8 > Charger SRT Hellcat Supercharged 6.2L Discussion

Related Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2.7L swap to 3.5L Im Closure V6 Specific Discussion 0 02-10-2017 03:09 AM
3.5 to 5.7 swap?? ChargerSteve1990 Performance Discussion/Modifications 5 09-28-2012 12:42 AM
6.1L swap adam.gonzalez13 Performance Discussion/Modifications 3 07-07-2012 03:36 PM
3.5 to 5.7 Swap NBChargerSXT Performance Discussion/Modifications 4 12-19-2009 01:12 PM
gauge cluster swap - is there anyway to swap locations of the gauges ? 733subvet Interior Discussion/Modifications 0 05-24-2008 06:33 AM


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










User Tag List

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode


Forum Jump

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome