Hellcat Owner Thoughts - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger SRT Hellcat Supercharged 6.2L Discussion Would you like the BLACK KEY or the RED KEY?

post #1 of 14 Old 09-16-2016 Thread Starter
mattsnoddy
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Hellcat Owner Thoughts

Hello everyone. Long time inactive member, but looking to possibly trade in my 07 Charger SRT for a 16 or 17 Hellcat. Ten wonderful years and 120k miles on the SRT but getting the 707 hp bug.

Not much in the way of owners on here it looks like, but figured I'd shake the tree and see if anyone fell out.

Any owners with thoughts on the Hellcat? Particularly owners for whom this isn't their first performance car?

07 Charger SRT, 08 Challenger SRT, 10 Viper ACR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-17-2016
Part Deux

I don't own one, but know several people that are members of Detroit Area Modern Mopars club, and each one of them absolutely love their hell cats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

aka THO.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 Stoned Charger View Post
I have a name for the 3 new mods...............Druken Purple Pirates!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona606 View Post
American Muscle, like a pit bull. Big but not large, well defined, explosive power, in it till the end. The cat will give it go and zig and zag, but in the end the pit bull will always catch the cat the outcome is never good for the cat.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-17-2016
shortfuse

I don't own one either, but bragging rights alone should be a good enough reason. C'mon, who can't be mesmerized by the fastest, most powerful production sedan on the planet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-17-2016
rob-2

Not an owner but I'd pick up a 16 with a few miles on the clock if I didn't have another car in mind.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-17-2016
Ron380

Garage
Welcome back, Matt!

2007 Charger SXT/AWD: Gone, but not forgotten.
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
post #6 of 14 Old 09-17-2016
370 HEMI
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsnoddy View Post
Hello everyone. Long time inactive member, but looking to possibly trade in my 07 Charger SRT for a 16 or 17 Hellcat. Ten wonderful years and 120k miles on the SRT but getting the 707 hp bug.

Not much in the way of owners on here it looks like, but figured I'd shake the tree and see if anyone fell out.

Any owners with thoughts on the Hellcat? Particularly owners for whom this isn't their first performance car?
I don't own one either as I have the 2006 Charger SRT8 and with only 11,840 miles on it , plan to keep it around as part of the collection.

However, I have MANY Hellcat customers and we have a lot of discussions about them. Most all of them love the car, as it is of course a rocket. Almost all of them have modded them up to get even more power our of them. In Washington state, one of my customers took his Hellcat and added a cold air intake, a downpipe, a tune and 1.5 oz. per gallon of ACES IV-P in 91 Shell pump gas with ethanol and got 54 more horsepower so a total of 761 HP!

Another customer in Canada is trying to get to 10.20s and we just shipped them ACES IV, differential lubricant and 7.5w40 Ultra HP Competition QuantumBlue + a QB Ultra HP High Flow Black Oil Filter. Going to see what we can do that on the track.

I have another customer that has a sublime 2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat 6 speed and a 2016 Plumcrazy Charger Hellcat 8 speed (8HP90). He said after owning both, he like the Charger better! Most all of them do.

All the Hellcat guys we have as customers are extremely happy with them as they really are a factory race car out of the box.

As the guy from head2head said.......car sounds like an "angry drunken cannonball" as it accelerates. Might as well get one while you still can......writing on the wall says that they will not be around much longer!

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

More Power, More Torque, Better MPGs - It's "Rocket Fuel For Your Car"

Custom Designed & Custom Blended "ALWAYS beats off the shelf brands"

Better cooling, better protection without all "The Gunk"
post #7 of 14 Old 09-18-2016
Hecht55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370 HEMI View Post
I don't own one either as I have the 2006 Charger SRT8 and with only 11,840 miles on it , plan to keep it around as part of the collection.

However, I have MANY Hellcat customers and we have a lot of discussions about them. Most all of them love the car, as it is of course a rocket. Almost all of them have modded them up to get even more power our of them. In Washington state, one of my customers took his Hellcat and added a cold air intake, a downpipe, a tune and 1.5 oz. per gallon of ACES IV-P in 91 Shell pump gas with ethanol and got 54 more horsepower so a total of 761 HP!

Another customer in Canada is trying to get to 10.20s and we just shipped them ACES IV, differential lubricant and 7.5w40 Ultra HP Competition QuantumBlue + a QB Ultra HP High Flow Black Oil Filter. Going to see what we can do that on the track.

I have another customer that has a sublime 2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat 6 speed and a 2016 Plumcrazy Charger Hellcat 8 speed (8HP90). He said after owning both, he like the Charger better! Most all of them do.

All the Hellcat guys we have as customers are extremely happy with them as they really are a factory race car out of the box.

As the guy from head2head said.......car sounds like an "angry drunken cannonball" as it accelerates. Might as well get one while you still can......writing on the wall says that they will not be around much longer!

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

Last information I read (source forgotten) listed the transmissions on the Hellcats only rated at 720HP..

Are these people who are supposedly adding power modding the tranny too? Or are they blowing them up?
post #8 of 14 Old 09-18-2016
370 HEMI
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecht55 View Post
Last information I read (source forgotten) listed the transmissions on the Hellcats only rated at 720HP..

Are these people who are supposedly adding power modding the tranny too? Or are they blowing them up?
Remember that there is a difference between working rated load limit and ultimate breaking limit.

The W5A580 NAG1 is rated at 580 Nm. 580 x .7375 = 427.75 ft lbs of torque. Yet we know many people on this forum that are putting 650 hp and 627 ft lbs of torque through that set up. I have one customers that has a 7.0L GEN III Hemi V8 that is Supercharged which runs all our fluids that had a stock NAG1 running 750 hp and 675 torque at the crank and it still lasted 88,000 to 90,000 miles before he went with a Southern Hot Rod Viking trans.

The 8HP90 in the Hellcat is rated at 900 Nm. So 900 x .7375 = 663.75 ft lbs of torque. This is rated load limit! So potentially they could do well into the 800 hp and 760 ft lbs of torque without sweating it much at all.

ZF makes a great transmission. Just expensive to service and expensive when it breaks.

More and more performance people are doing the QuantumBlue ZF Ultra High Performance ZF Replacement Fluid to get 200 degrees hotter temperature protection and better anti-wear characteristics internally. This only supports an already durable trans.

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com
post #9 of 14 Old 09-19-2016 Thread Starter
mattsnoddy

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Part Deux View Post
I don't own one, but know several people that are members of Detroit Area Modern Mopars club, and each one of them absolutely love their hell cats.
Cool, that's the word I've gotten from other owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
I don't own one either, but bragging rights alone should be a good enough reason. C'mon, who can't be mesmerized by the fastest, most powerful production sedan on the planet.
Bragging rights not as much of an issue, but thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob-2 View Post
Not an owner but I'd pick up a 16 with a few miles on the clock if I didn't have another car in mind.
Another performance sedan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron380 View Post
Welcome back, Matt!
Hey Ron! Long time no see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecht55 View Post

Good info to know; I didn't know the trans was rated that closely to the max power output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370 HEMI View Post
The 8HP90 in the Hellcat is rated at 900 Nm. So 900 x .7375 = 663.75 ft lbs of torque. This is rated load limit! So potentially they could do well into the 800 hp and 760 ft lbs of torque without sweating it much at all.
I appreciate your info. Not looking to modify mine at all if/when I get it. I know all about the limits of the NAG1 -- My Challenger was one of the first to be pushed to over 650 HP before its trans gave out.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-20-2016 Thread Starter
mattsnoddy

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Update: test drove a white 2016 Hellcat yesterday.

Man, it's fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger SRT-8 > Charger SRT Hellcat Supercharged 6.2L Discussion