performance/ gas mileage - Dodge Charger Forums
Performance Discussion/Modifications Discuss any performance modification in this section.

post #1 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Redline//326

(Thread Starter)
performance/ gas mileage

I have a 2016 charger R/T with 40k miles on it, it runs perfect, and I do not beat on it at all, like I said it runs perfect however the other day I looked at my miles per gallon and it was 13, I do mostly city driving but I thought these things should avg like 16 city, any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago
CtCarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline//326 View Post
I have a 2016 charger R/T with 40k miles on it, it runs perfect, and I do not beat on it at all, like I said it runs perfect however the other day I looked at my miles per gallon and it was 13, I do mostly city driving but I thought these things should avg like 16 city, any thoughts?
Sounds like you're going by the trip computer. Have you tried checking it manually over two or three tankfuls?

"Many true sports cars can be outrun by a powerful sedan." - Sir William Lyons, Chairman, British Leyland
post #3 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Redline//326

(Thread Starter)
Isn’t the trip computer accurate, how do you check it manually, you mean just keep track myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago
Lenny H

I leave my cluster screen on Fuel Economy........its amazing how good of mileage you can get if you try!
post #5 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago
ONEZ ST

EPA fuel economy numbers are performed on a dyno using strict standards of acceleration, number or stops, MPH and time. These standards were established in 1970s mimicking city driving. It's been modified over the decades. Same concept used for hwy and combined also using formulas.

1. Do you drive on a dyno to a scripted set of criteria that was used to estimate these economy numbers or do you drive in real world city stop and go driving that may or may not have you sitting in traffic or swinging through a crowded drive through with periods of idling.

2. Do you drive in LA city, NYC, Hoboken, Boise, Sioux City, Denver, or a small 3 red light city, etc. You can drive in each of these cities and get different MPG results. In fact you can drive in any one of the large cities at different times of day or night and get different results.

Fuel economy numbers are estimates of what should be average. Meaning some see lower and some see higher. You might be constant in your driving habits but not everything else is constant.

Last edited by ONEZ ST; 1 Week Ago at 06:41 PM.
post #6 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago
Ol*Geezer2018

Garage
I also have trouble believing the MPG members claim these heavy Chargers...MPG will depend on what formula gas your zip code uses...summer or winter blends...but, most of all...If you can keep it cruising in MDS V- 4 mode...Good luck with that....slightest incline, slightest side wind or head wind...Prolly even if you fart , computer will kick off the MDS....and MPG will quickly suffer....IMO
post #7 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago
CtCarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline//326 View Post
Isnít the trip computer accurate, how do you check it manually, you mean just keep track myself?
Just use the trip odometer and keep track of how much fuel you put in. Do that for two or three tankfuls, and then see how the numbers compare to the computer.
post #8 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago
krautmaster

Garage
My 2013 Charger, 2016 Charger, and my wife's 2013 Chrysler 200 (all have the 3.6 V-6) have always registered just a tad more than 1 mpg optimistic (EVIC will read 34.6, actual will be 33.5).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus
post #9 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago
djalbin

Quote:
If you can keep it cruising in MDS V- 4 mode
My MPG difference was only about 1 MPG after I disabled MDS. Either way, I have never experienced 16 MPG city. I was close a few times at 15.x MPG but my non-MDS city MPG is consistently at 14.x MPG (including custom tune & spirited driving).

2012 R/T with Road&Track and Super Track Pak, HHP 180įF thermostat
DiabloSport i2 inTune with HemiFever 91-octane custom tune, Tazer
Airaid CAI, HHP Billet Tech catch can, Petty's Garage strut tower brace
Flowmaster 40-series mufflers, Magnaflow resonators (12" glasspacks)
22"x9.5" Versante Wheels (VE226A), 265/35ZR22 Dunlop Direzza DZ102 tires
post #10 of 27 Old 1 Week Ago
Jerry-L

Garage
Disclaimer; I have not actually checked my MPGs with a paper and pencil, AKA manually. Last weekend I went on a ~300 mile round trip and was pretty much all interstate highway. I saw numbers as high as 26.5 near the end of the trip. However, it didn't take long for those numbers to drop several days after I got back home. Mostly driving around town... and putting my foot in it from time to time... I'm back down to ~22 and change. Still not too bad for a big car like this. I remember my old 1991 full size Ford Bronco, AKA Mr. 8 to 10 MPG... on a good day perhaps 11, but no more. I got another road trip or two coming up later this year and I think I'm going to figure mileage the old-fashioned way and compare it to the dashboard display to see just how (in)accurate it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jerry
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications