How do I know if a car had been sent for recall - Dodge Charger Forums
General Charger Discussion General Discussion about the Dodge Charger.

post #1 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
hased

(Thread Starter)
How do I know if a car had been sent for recall

I am planning on buying a used 2014 dodge charger, a concern has just popped in my head regarding the recall. I have heard that cars get recall to fix stuff (mainly the safety features). How do I find out if the car I am planning to buy had been sent for any of the recalls.
P.S if I was buying it from the owner itself I would've asked the owner directly but since it's from a used car dealer, it makes it difficult.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago
newoldcharger

Carfax, if reported fixed, should show the work was done by checking the vin.
Call your dealership, they can check your vin to see if it was done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to newoldcharger For This Useful Post:
hased (1 Week Ago)
post #3 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago
CtCarl

You can either check the service history on CARFAX as suggested by newoldcharger (that report is free), or stop by any Dodge or Chrysler dealership with the VIN, they can check it for you.

"Many true sports cars can be outrun by a powerful sedan." - Sir William Lyons, Chairman, British Leyland
The Following User Says Thank You to CtCarl For This Useful Post:
hased (1 Week Ago)
post #4 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago
krautmaster

Garage
Plug the VIN into this NHTSA site and it will give you every recall still open, you don't need a dealer to check it for you:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?vin=2C3CDXHG5JH188639

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus

Last edited by krautmaster; 1 Week Ago at 07:06 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to krautmaster For This Useful Post:
hased (1 Week Ago)
post #5 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago
newoldcharger

Also note that this will only help in identify IF it has a recall and if it was REPORTED fixed.
For instance if the owner had another independent shop perform the work, it may not have been reported fixed. I had my 13í Challengerís timing chain replaced (was a recall floating around out there) when I did a cam swap but didnít report it. Mopar sent me tons of open recall notifications via mail before I finally called them and told them to close it out lol.

The Following User Says Thank You to newoldcharger For This Useful Post:
hased (1 Week Ago)
post #6 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
hased

(Thread Starter)
In case there has been an unattended recall, do I get the work done for free from the agency or do I have to pay for it?
Also, if I have to pay for it, will it be fine if I get it done from a local service centre as that may be a cheaper option.
Thanks!
post #7 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago
Malaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by hased View Post
In case there has been an unattended recall, do I get the work done for free from the agency or do I have to pay for it?
Also, if I have to pay for it, will it be fine if I get it done from a local service centre as that may be a cheaper option.
Thanks!
ALL recalls are free. From the dealership I mean.

Unless you have serious issues with your local dealership and cannot visit another, you may be able to go to a local mechanic, but then they have to actually purchase the parts and charge you for labor/parts.

You should NEVER be charged for recall work at a dealership. There are stories of dealerships charging for recalls but that is usually because they tell the customer they gotta fix/replace this or that which has nothing to do with the recall to make some money. When and if you bring the car in for any undone pending recalls, just make sure they understand that the car is there JUST for the recall and you don't want any other work done. The receipt at the end must have a 0 balance. They CANNOT charge you for recall work.

I've heard other stories where the dealership will charge labor to get to difficult or labor intensive recall part. This is also wrong. The labor required to perform the recall is included in the recall and you should not be charged for that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Dodge Charger SXT-AWD
  • ZautoTech TaZer installed
  • SRT Style Spoiler self installed
  • Golden offset stripe
The Following User Says Thank You to Malaka For This Useful Post:
hased (1 Week Ago)
post #8 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
hased

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldcharger View Post
Also note that this will only help in identify IF it has a recall and if it was REPORTED fixed.
For instance if the owner had another independent shop perform the work, it may not have been reported fixed. I had my 13í Challengerís timing chain replaced (was a recall floating around out there) when I did a cam swap but didnít report it. Mopar sent me tons of open recall notifications via mail before I finally called them and told them to close it out lol.

Will surely keep that in mind, thanks!!
post #9 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago
djalbin

In addition to the NHTSA site you can check the FCA site for recall status ...

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...ls/search.html

2012 R/T with Road&Track and Super Track Pak, HHP 180įF thermostat
DiabloSport i2 inTune with HemiFever 91-octane custom tune, Tazer
Airaid CAI, HHP Billet Tech catch can, Petty's Garage strut tower brace
Flowmaster 40-series mufflers, Magnaflow resonators (12" perforated core)
22"x9.5" Versante Wheels (VE226A), 265/35ZR22 Dunlop Direzza DZ102 tires, JBA silver ceramic headers
post #10 of 10 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
hased

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djalbin View Post
In addition to the NHTSA site you can check the FCA site for recall status ...

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...ls/search.html
Thanks for the link! Just found out that a recall for the replacement of PAB inflator has been skipped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion