Advice on buying a V6 or V8 2014 Charger - Dodge Charger Forums
General Charger Discussion General Discussion about the Dodge Charger.

post #1 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
hased

(Thread Starter)
Advice on buying a V6 or V8 2014 Charger

Hey guys its my first forum here, I am considering getting a Dodge Charger 2014 as my first car and I have test driven a V6 and a V8. I have been confused about my choice and need advice. Both the car prices are almost the same but the V6 has been driven for around 90,000km and the V8 has around 105,000 on it. Also, my parents will be financing it until i start earning (just a university student rn) P.S the V6 has a 8 speed automatic transmission. It would be great if you guys could tell me about the service/maintenance expenses and how likely is it to break down.

Any advice will be appreciated! Thanks!!

Last edited by hased; 1 Week Ago at 11:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago
krautmaster

Garage
9 out of 10 guys are going to say buy the V-8, but it depends on which you liked better. The eight speed seems to be pretty bullet proof while the 5 speed can be finicky if it was not well maintained. A few of the 5.7 V-8s chew up the camshaft / lifters at high miles, but usually only ones that spent a lot of time idling like Police cars... it all boils down to which one you liked driving best.

I had a 2013 V6 with 5 speed (which was totaled) and it liked to throw torque converter codes on hilly roads, but it never broke down (except for the alternator recall that is). I now have a 2016 V6 with the eight speed and it is a whole different car (much better), in fact I like it so much I have a second one one the way for the wife!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 SXT Plus

Last edited by krautmaster; 1 Week Ago at 12:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to krautmaster For This Useful Post:
hased (1 Week Ago)
post #3 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago
CtCarl

That's a great question.

For 2014, the V8 vs V6 question always means 5-speed vs 8-speed. The 845RE 8-speed is more advanced than the W5A580 5-speed in many ways, but in terms of maintenance and durability, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. A quick Google search will tell you everything you want to know on that score.

All other things being equal, I would say that a Hemi Charger with 16% more accumulated mileage than a V6 at the same price is a better value, and will retain that greater value at resale time.

But in terms of which one to buy, there are a few things you didn't mention. Fuel cost, for starters. Nobody buys a Charger for the fuel economy, but you did say that you're a student, and this is your first car. The difference in MPG between an 8-speed V6 and a 5-speed V8 is substantial. If you're in, say, Italy or Norway and paying $6-7 per gallon, that's going to really add up. In the Middle East, not so much. Also, you might want to see if insuring the R/T would be more expensive where you are.

There are a few things that are harder to quantify. The exhaust note of the Hemi, for one.

If gas and insurance cost isn't a major factor, I'd go with the R/T. I don't think I've seen anyone with a Hemi, either online or in person, complaining about their decision and wishing they'd bought the V6.

Good luck!

"Many true sports cars can be outrun by a powerful sedan." - Sir William Lyons, Chairman, British Leyland
The Following User Says Thank You to CtCarl For This Useful Post:
hased (1 Week Ago)
post #4 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago
Malaka

As a v6 owner, you might get that "should have gotten a v8" idea. It really all boils down to preference.

You want a faster car? Go with the v8.

You want something practical? Go with the v6.

In your case I will probably go for the v6 for reasons I am just assuming. You currently don't have an income so I would assume gasoline would be the main deciding factor. I don't think I need to do the research to know this but the v6(especially with the 8 speed) is going to be great on gas mileage compared to the v8. Some people mentioned resale value, but I believe in the idea that you drive a car until it dies. Either way, I assume that you will drive the car for at least a couple of years bringing it's mileage into that stage where it would be worth very little and the difference between a v6/v8 resale value would be minimal. You mentioned the mileage in Km instead of miles, which I found strange at first because I think of chargers mainly in the US. I don't know where you reside in, but someone mentioned the middle east which is one of the few places I think you might find chargers. So I will assume you live there. Even with the much cheaper gas prices, over the course of a year it does add up.

In terms of maintenance, I would value them very similarly. I would assume parts for the v6 would be cheaper and labor should be easier with the freed up engine space. But in the end, I believe it is a chance based issue. You may have costly frequent repairs with the v6 and no issues with the v8 or the complete opposite. It really comes down to luck and the history of the car's maintenance schedule and driving style. A bit of research into the specific engine or transmission and their common issues that occur down the road may help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Dodge Charger SXT-AWD
  • ZautoTech TaZer installed
  • SRT Style Spoiler self installed
  • Golden offset stripe
The Following User Says Thank You to Malaka For This Useful Post:
hased (1 Week Ago)
post #5 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago
Lenny H

I have had both.......When i had a V-6 i always wished i had a V-8, but I am a car guy....With having the V-8 now i never wish i had the V-6. When i am worried about fuel expense it is always fun to see how High i can get the V8 to get. It almost like another performance measurement.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lenny H For This Useful Post:
hased (1 Week Ago)
post #6 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago
ONEZ ST

Parent hat is on: A V6.
The Following User Says Thank You to ONEZ ST For This Useful Post:
hased (1 Week Ago)
post #7 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
hased

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaka View Post
As a v6 owner, you might get that "should have gotten a v8" idea. It really all boils down to preference.

You want a faster car? Go with the v8.

You want something practical? Go with the v6.

In your case I will probably go for the v6 for reasons I am just assuming. You currently don't have an income so I would assume gasoline would be the main deciding factor. I don't think I need to do the research to know this but the v6(especially with the 8 speed) is going to be great on gas mileage compared to the v8. Some people mentioned resale value, but I believe in the idea that you drive a car until it dies. Either way, I assume that you will drive the car for at least a couple of years bringing it's mileage into that stage where it would be worth very little and the difference between a v6/v8 resale value would be minimal. You mentioned the mileage in Km instead of miles, which I found strange at first because I think of chargers mainly in the US. I don't know where you reside in, but someone mentioned the middle east which is one of the few places I think you might find chargers. So I will assume you live there. Even with the much cheaper gas prices, over the course of a year it does add up.

In terms of maintenance, I would value them very similarly. I would assume parts for the v6 would be cheaper and labor should be easier with the freed up engine space. But in the end, I believe it is a chance based issue. You may have costly frequent repairs with the v6 and no issues with the v8 or the complete opposite. It really comes down to luck and the history of the car's maintenance schedule and driving style. A bit of research into the specific engine or transmission and their common issues that occur down the road may help.
I totally forgot to mention that I reside in the Middle East. Fuel here is said to be cheap but even cheap is expensive if you are not earning, if you know what I mean. I am on a 60/50 with the V6 and V8. Always wanted a fast AND practical car but I assume V6 is pretty fast too (well atleast as a first car). However, the only thing that really got me into this confusion is that the prices I am offered for both the cars are the same (with the V8 having just about 15k- 20k more km on it). No one wants a bad experience with their first car so I really wanted to be sure with my choice and not regret later. You've helped me out! Thanks bud!!
post #8 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago
Stevens12

If insurance and gas isn't an issue, I'd go v8 all day long. My first car was a 1974 Satalite with 318 v8 and I'll remember that car for ever. v6 will be more practical, better on gas and cheaper insurance but working on them/doing repairs will be about the same. If the choice is only these 2 cars, then pick the car thats in the best condition. If you have a mechanic, allow them to look at it even if they charge you. It will be worth piece of mind.

Current 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8, Corsa Extreme exhaust, 20% window tint, AEM drop in filter, Custom Wrap
Current 2015 Dodge Charger SXT AWD, Hellcat spoiler
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevens12 For This Useful Post:
hased (1 Week Ago)
post #9 of 14 Old 1 Week Ago
K-Dawg

Garage
Get the HEMI with the 5AT. The 8AT is a POS. Never in the gear you want it to be. Takes too many down-shifts with the auto-stick to get any response. It also sometimes down-shifts hard from 3-2-1. 8AT is smoother on the upshift than the 5, but harder on the down shift. 5AT is more fun and more responsive to manual shifts.

I'm shopping for a '15-18 Charger but specifically ONLY looking at the Pursuit model, because it still comes with the 5AT.

K-DAWG
The Following User Says Thank You to K-Dawg For This Useful Post:
hased (1 Week Ago)
post #10 of 14 Old 3 Days Ago
DodgeGuy

Had a 2013 SXT Plus with 8spd, till entered the "have to get the HEMI mode" and got 2014 R/T with 5 spd.

Both great cars. With 8spd had sometimes those strange "bumps" in the idle. The V8 behaviors much better win the side wind conditions in the speeds near 120 km/h.

Gas consumption slighly better with V6, specially in the city (no big difference in the mixed cycle).

For snowy winters getting winter tires is a must (assuming that the cars are RWD).

Go with V8, if paying extra for gas and insurance no issues for you, otherwise - start with V6. As I said above - they are great cars (wish I could dream about V6 as my first car...)
The Following User Says Thank You to DodgeGuy For This Useful Post:
hased (9 Hours Ago)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion