6.2 swap - Page 4 - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger SRT Hellcat Supercharged 6.2L Discussion Would you like the BLACK KEY or the RED KEY?

post #31 of 44 Old 03-12-2018
Paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughngina View Post
Update I talked to Cleveland and they are more than willing to help me they said everything is almost a bolt in job and as far as figment for the trans I have to switch the floor pans from the challenger I’m not sure who said the suspension wouldn’t fit they’re both LX cars they said total time would be around 160hrs I wouldn’t take the car to shop because I’m a mechanic I’ve worked on everything from shit boxes to 1000hp 68 Camaro to 1400hp corvette roadster to cobra jet mustangs and dirt track cars I’m sure knowing that I have a hellcat everything in my car would be easy to work on as for my friend that is doing the work I’m sure he won’t get it all done perfectly but he is still good it’s not as impossible as you guys are making it sound the guys at Cleveland say it’s a very doable thing
Except that they aren't LX cars. The Challenger is a LC, or shortened LX platform. The transmission will bolt onto the engine, but it won't be a perfect fit for the longer LX platform you're wanting to put that into. I wouldn't expect a shop to dissuade you- turning away business is not good business. Older cars were easier to upgrade because, as was mentioned previously, there wasn't a whole lot of computer crap to worry about. But truthfully, there isn't a lot you can swap between the Challenger and Charger, not without modifying it or the car in some way to make that happen. Good luck on this endeavor but man...you're gonna blow that $7-8k you get (it isn't tax free, nothing with Uncle Sam is) and end up with a couple of heaps in disarray. Not to mention, that is a LOT of work you're putting on your best friend for very little gain...a LOT of work. You mentioned 160 hours...I'm betting that isn't all of it. What do shops charge by the hour nowadays? I know regular mechanics go in at $100...so if we leave it at that, that's $16k of labor alone. And you're gonna leave him whatever's left of the Charger parts leftover? He sounds like a really good friend...

Last edited by Paladin; 03-12-2018 at 10:08 AM. Reason: clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 03-12-2018 Thread Starter
Vaughngina

(Thread Starter)
He is a good friend he’s been my best friend since we were in 10nth grade were both mechanics but I just won’t be around to do it and he wants the charger driveline and electrical harness think about what you’re saying you say there’s less electrical stuff in the old cars but I’d still have to wire the challenger stuff in an old car. So what’s the difference? As for a drive shaft whatever Cleveland put in theirs worked so I’ll do that. If by the time I come home and my cars not finished I’ll be able to finish it and I know cal (my friend) would be more than excited to help me along with a few other friends I’m not saying we’re gonna do this in a week or two. We’re talking about at least 4 years and who cares if it doesn’t work out and I’m down 6k cuz I can just sell the motor for 15k and be making money seems like everyone just wants to be negative here I’ll put you through the steps I have planned
1 get bonus money this will be in approximately 4-6 months
2 but the hellcat and strip it completely
3 assemble everything for the hellcat in the garage to make sure it runs
3b refresh the HC whether this be just fluids or overhaul
4 strip the charger and clean it
5 trim the challenger dash to fit (Cleveland) route brake lines to where the abs module will be located (if necessary) cut out the floor pans and weld them in basically get everything fitted and undercoat the pan area so it doesn’t rust
6 install Uconnect and other harnesses
7 Switch out suspension and rear subframe
8 install challenger interior
9 install HC
Now if anyone has any questions about something that might not fit or I missed let me know or if you have suggestions of things to ask Cleveland let me know
post #33 of 44 Old 03-13-2018
HemiLonestar

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar
Not being negative lol, we're all realists. I'm done with this thread. By all means, I hope you prove us wrong.

2003 Ram Hemi Lonestar, 2005 Magnum R/T, 2006 Charger R/T (RIP)
"Never enough time to do it right but always enough time to do it again"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 Old 03-13-2018
FLEX
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughngina View Post
seems like everyone just wants to be negative
No; just this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiLonestar View Post
Not being negative lol, we're all realists. I'm done with this thread. By all means, I hope you prove us wrong.
Been on this forum over 10 years and seen guys come and go and so many had dreams of doing an SRT to SXT swap and yet I've never seen it actually done.

It's just a lot easier and more economical to go buy the SRT.

I get this is a Hellcat to RT swap but it's just about the same if not worse in terms of expense and difficulty.

No one is saying it can't be done. Within reason anything can be done with enough time/money. This is going to take a lot more time and a lot more money than you think.

That is it. No negativity. Reality.

That said, Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 R/T R&T - "HEMIGASM" - Gone but not forgotten.

2010 SRT8 - Sold

2015 SRT 392 - RIP

2016 SRT 392 - Jazz Blue, AFE Momentum GT intake, SOLO Performance exhaust, 20% Tint, Black Carbon Fiber Racing Stripes, BT catch can and underhood bling, tinted tails, Oracle LED sidemarkers, Mopar Strut Brace, Rennen Forged RL-55X wheels, Nitto NT555 G2 tires

2017 Corvette Z06 2LZ - Arctic White with Red/Black Interior, Carbon Fibre Everything, Transparent Roof Panel, Spectra-Grey Wheels, Data Recorder/Nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
FLEX grinds his own coffee with his teeth and boils the water with his rage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Credible Hulk
I always back up my rage with documented sources and facts.
Do you even lift?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLEX For This Useful Post:
DjMere (05-12-2018), HemiLonestar (03-14-2018)
post #35 of 44 Old 07-09-2018
HemiLonestar

Garage
Thought I'd pop in to see if there were any actual updates...nothing but crickets...
post #36 of 44 Old 07-09-2018
FST4DR

Interesting thread but I doubt that the guy has done anything to a 2006 RT. These Hellcat swaps have been done at several shops but most I have seen are RT's with the 6M or 8A transmission (2015 and up). If not racing, it is actually fairly cheaper than getting a new Hellcat. The 8 speed trans that comes in the RT/scat pack is good for Hellcat power plus some. Driveshafts are less than $1000 and if you wanted to race a set of 1400 hp axles can be had for less than $1500. Here is an RT build that just used the Hellcat shortblock when they were less than $4000 new.

https://www.a2speed.com/t-ricks-dodg...onversion.aspx

2013 Charger SRT8 (Diablotoona tune and CAI)
post #37 of 44 Old 10-15-2018
HemiLonestar

Garage
post #38 of 44 Old 10-15-2018
senor dodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEX View Post
Just about anything can be done with enough time and money but this seems like a monumental task.

My guess is if the guy started it he'd get frustrated and quit and leave you with all the money invested and two useless vehicles and lot of parts lying around. There really isn't much in it for him.

Got that right....and a wrecked car....Don't have time to do it personally?........forget it.
post #39 of 44 Old 10-15-2018
JackE

He hasn't even been on here since March. I guess we'll never know......

2017 Charger SXT
Blacktop - Rallye - Super Track Pak
Destroyer Grey

The most effective tool in the world to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun!
- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
I Am a Sheepdog!
post #40 of 44 Old 10-15-2018
ttonyy

Good. Hope he didn't blow his $10k signing bonus for this pipe dream
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger SRT-8 > Charger SRT Hellcat Supercharged 6.2L Discussion