6.2 swap - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger SRT Hellcat Supercharged 6.2L Discussion Would you like the BLACK KEY or the RED KEY?

post #1 of 44 Old 03-05-2018 Thread Starter
Vaughngina

(Thread Starter)
6.2 swap

So hereís what I got goin on Iím going into the navy and I got a $10,000 signing bonus currently I have an 06 charger rt with road and track package my plan is to use this bonus and buy a hellcat thatís totaled in the rear with a body thatís usable anymore what I want to do is pull everything out of both cars and swap the hellcat everything into the charger motor trans wiring computers drive shafts differential suspension basically anything that I can swap I want to btw it wonít be me personally doing the swap I have a friend that will be doing it while Iím deployed and in return he gets to keep the charger stuff. Thoughts? Ideas? Inputs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 03-05-2018
FLEX
Super Moderator

Just about anything can be done with enough time and money but this seems like a monumental task.

My guess is if the guy started it he'd get frustrated and quit and leave you with all the money invested and two useless vehicles and lot of parts lying around. There really isn't much in it for him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 R/T R&T - "HEMIGASM" - Gone but not forgotten.

2010 SRT8 - Sold

2015 SRT 392 - RIP

2016 SRT 392 - Jazz Blue, AFE Momentum GT intake, SOLO Performance exhaust, 20% Tint, Black Carbon Fiber Racing Stripes, BT catch can and underhood bling, tinted tails, Oracle LED sidemarkers, Mopar Strut Brace, Rennen Forged RL-55X wheels, Nitto NT555 G2 tires

2017 Corvette Z06 2LZ - Arctic White with Red/Black Interior, Carbon Fibre Everything, Transparent Roof Panel, Spectra-Grey Wheels, Data Recorder/Nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
FLEX grinds his own coffee with his teeth and boils the water with his rage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Credible Hulk
I always back up my rage with documented sources and facts.
Do you even lift?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLEX For This Useful Post:
Ol*Geezer2018 (03-05-2018), RagingBear (03-07-2018)
post #3 of 44 Old 03-05-2018
Eric Millard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEX View Post
Just about anything can be done with enough time and money but this seems like a monumental task.

My guess is if the guy started it he'd get frustrated and quit and leave you with all the money invested and two useless vehicles and lot of parts lying around. There really isn't much in it for him.
Agreed. And at the end of the day you still have a 2006 Charger.

I think the value of engine swaps is a ship that has long sailed. (Pun intended)

The technology in cars evolves so fast these days that even though you can stuff a big motor in an older car youíre still missing all the things that people want in a current car. Blind spot monitoring, latest UConnect, blah blah blah. Back in the 70s and 80s it was easy because not much changed but todayís a different world.

Donít mean to rain on your parade but you asked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 03-06-2018
Stevens12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEX View Post

Agreed, this would be a monumental task to swap and actually get it all to work. No way the HC suspension is going to work without major customizing, the engine may fit, but I'd be the trans won't. So the floors and tunnel would need cut out and replaced. Just getting the engine to talk to the gauges would also be another hurdle with all the new computer stuff.

Quite frankly, I'd take the motor you got, upgrade the internals, add a supercharger, upgrade the suspension, driveline and transmission. But I'm not sure 10k would be enough for ALL that. 10k may seem like alot, but I think i could spend that in about 1 hour on misc stuff. Your current car will never be a HC, but you can make it a better version of what you've got now thats a blast to drive.

Current 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8, Corsa Extreme exhaust, 20% window tint, AEM drop in filter, Custom Wrap
Current 2015 Dodge Charger SXT AWD, Hellcat spoiler

Last edited by Stevens12; 03-06-2018 at 09:43 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevens12 For This Useful Post:
RagingBear (03-07-2018)
post #5 of 44 Old 03-06-2018
HemiLonestar

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar
Typical boot lol. Save your money, let it simmer while you're at boot camp and/or A school. You're not gonna make a plethora of money as a new E1-2-3-4. Make your Charger more fun to drive. Unless your buddy has access to flash programming software to mate the next gen CAN bus VVT electronics to your previous gen non VVT CAN bus and the experience/skill to rewire harness properly, the project won't go very far. As mentioned, that 8HP90 probably won't fit, not to mention the distinct possibility that it won't integrate into your vehicle successfully; the stock NAG1 will not hold up very long to 650 ft/lbs. In addition, have you SEEN how much used HC engines (with or without transmissions) go for? Hint: more than $10,000.

2003 Ram Hemi Lonestar, 2005 Magnum R/T, 2006 Charger R/T (RIP)
"Never enough time to do it right but always enough time to do it again"

The Following User Says Thank You to HemiLonestar For This Useful Post:
FLEX (03-06-2018)
post #6 of 44 Old 03-06-2018 Thread Starter
Vaughngina

(Thread Starter)
The guy that would be doing it has been my best friend for like 5 years so I doubt he would leave me hanging with nothing and Iím talking about buying a whole hellcat challenger not charger and swapping the stuff in Iím going to look for one thatís as old as I can find they donít go for too much on auction and Iíve seen running and driving ones go for 11,000 so one that has some serious rear end damage or even side damage that still runs with a salvage cert I could see going for 6k and my friend currently works at a custom truck shop where they do a lot of different stuff why would I need to have the computer talk to my gauges when I can swap in the challenger ones? I see how obviously this is a huge task to do but it is still doable
post #7 of 44 Old 03-06-2018
tacamo01
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughngina View Post
The guy that would be doing it has been my best friend for like 5 years so I doubt he would leave me hanging with nothing and I’m talking about buying a whole hellcat challenger not charger and swapping the stuff in I’m going to look for one that’s as old as I can find they don’t go for too much on auction and I’ve seen running and driving ones go for 11,000 so one that has some serious rear end damage or even side damage that still runs with a salvage cert I could see going for 6k and my friend currently works at a custom truck shop where they do a lot of different stuff why would I need to have the computer talk to my gauges when I can swap in the challenger ones? I see how obviously this is a huge task to do but it is still doable
Not sure where you are seeing used Hellcats going for $11,000 (Even with blown engine). Shoot me the link, I might be interested.

Remember, you have to pay taxes on that 10K. I made that mistake early in my military career. (28 years Navy). I have a few friends that have gotten parts from Cleveland Power and Performance. A shop that specializes in wreaked Hellcats and other go fast cars. Give them a call about your plan. You might be surprised at how expensive this project is going to be even with a friend doing the work. I have a feeling you would be sending in over half your check per month just to keep the project going as they run into hurtles.

You can not just transfer the guages from a Hellcat to your RT. You have to program the buses to work with them. The Hellcat PCM is very tricky also. There are things that it looks for, certain functionality, and if not present the engine will not start.

https://www.clevelandpap.com/

Last edited by tacamo01; 03-06-2018 at 10:47 AM.
post #8 of 44 Old 03-06-2018
FLEX
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughngina View Post
Iíve seen running and driving ones go for 11,000
Really? I find that hard to believe, but if that's the case why not just buy it and sell your '06?

And yeah; the guy might not intend to leave you hanging but it's a monumental job for little to no gain for him so unless he's retired with no other hobbies or obligations I can't see him seeing it through without any real compensation.
post #9 of 44 Old 03-06-2018 Thread Starter
Vaughngina

(Thread Starter)
https://dashub.com/search/dodge-chal...YuMkwgIDgiXQ== Thatís is the link to the site Iíve been seeing them on why would I have to program anything if Iím switching it?
post #10 of 44 Old 03-06-2018 Thread Starter
Vaughngina

(Thread Starter)
I donít want to sell the charger it has sentimental value
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger SRT-8 > Charger SRT Hellcat Supercharged 6.2L Discussion