Uh-Oh Demons...New Chally Hellcats get Widebody! - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger SRT Hellcat Supercharged 6.2L Discussion Would you like the BLACK KEY or the RED KEY?

post #1 of 28 Old 07-06-2017 Thread Starter
USAFA-09
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Uh-Oh Demons...New Chally Hellcats get Widebody!

Saw this article today (couple days old)...looks like Dodge is already going to diminish the Demon outward appeal/looks by offering the new Challenger Hellcats in a widebody, same body shared by the Demon. Now, first off, I truly could not care less, but I do find some chuckling satisfaction in the new Demon owners out there who, almost before they even take delivery of their new Demon, they'll drive away and see an exact match of their lim-production Demons with Hellcat guts...how dare Dodge!

We'll likely see the same entitled complaints seen from SRT/Hellcat owners who think they are so special that Dodge should not allow "lesser" engines/models to share the same looks/appeal as their super special SRT badged queen. (This is coming from a two previous owner SRT guy, '14 and '16...and now a very happy (with Lifetime Mopar Protection) 5.7L Daytona guy!) =)

Article: http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/06/...showrooms.html

But seriously...let's assume for a second we all agree that an SRT and/or Hellcat should truly be distinguished from the rest of the pack (I do understand the argument), why do we think Dodge continues to bring their premium brand looks/performance and spread the wealth to all lower models, which I think we can't deny has decreased the high end values some, for example encouraging a once SRT-aspiring customer to instead go for the Trak Pak loaded V6 or 5.7...why does Dodge see this as the acceptable way forward? Just wondering what the logical or group thoughts are on this?

2017 345 Daytona Charger - White (mine)
2014 R/T Durango - White (hers)
2014 Iron 883 Sportster - Candy Purple (hers)
2018 HD Road Glide Special - Bonneville Salt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 07-06-2017
FST4DR

LOL, It is called making money!! Actually from reading the Challenger and Modern Mopar sites, the few that have ordered the Demon could care less. They are getting a track ready very unique Challenger.

Some of the current Hellcat owners like the widebody looks and others have said it has the aftermarket fender flare look. Myself, I am getting one as soon as the prices come down and the used widebody is available. Not being able to put some serious meat on the rear of the current Hellcat has been a complaint of many owners. Dodge is just reading what a majority want and is giving the public a very good choice. Besides a few minor cosmetic features and computer programs, the interior of an SXT looks like the interior of the Hellcat. And if you were not a Mopar fan most folks would not be able to tell the difference.

The bottom line is that the Challenger and Charger are not High End Cars. They will depreciate about the same as others that are not labeled Luxury Performance. No mater what the exterior looks like.

2013 Charger SRT8 (Diablotoona tune and CAI)
The Following User Says Thank You to FST4DR For This Useful Post:
USAFA-09 (07-06-2017)
post #3 of 28 Old 07-06-2017 Thread Starter
USAFA-09

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FST4DR View Post
LOL, [B]It is called making money!!

And if you were not a Mopar fan most folks would not be able to tell the difference.

The bottom line is that the Challenger and Charger are not High End Cars. They will depreciate about the same as others that are not labeled Luxury Performance. No mater what the exterior looks like.
Agreed! And doubly (word?) agreed both Hellcat versions and even SRTs need to eventually allow for wider tires, so in that regard, kudos to Dodge for pushing a widebody to the Hellcat where it'll be fun to see more grip all around for that already monstrous car. I was able to track my '16 SRT a few times at Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, CA...awesome experience and took that car to all it's limits (g-force had me a 1.01 G's on left and right, 0.97 stopping and .76 accelerating, such a blast of a track! With that said, I can only imagine better tires (those were all stock, everything stock on that car).

In any case...money will always prevail I agree...which is why I'll NEVER understand why a standard manufacturer like say Toyota, Honda or sure even Dodge doesn't come out and make a screamin hot looking car that looks just like a Lambo, Ferrari, Aston, McClaren, etc etc...I mean come on! I'm not asking to change all the guts and performance or even quality parts...just make a Chrysler 200 (lol, just hypothetical here) that kills it in the looks department and makes a Ferrari owner jealous, it's just a change to the CAD and designs and thus body on the same car...

Anyways, I digress but will never understand the decisions behind all the various "looks" in the auto industry...like the Mitsubishi Galant? WTF? (or many others that had to have been designed and produced in an absolute vaccum near Pluto (always a planet to me!)
The Following User Says Thank You to USAFA-09 For This Useful Post:
FST4DR (07-06-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 07-06-2017
FLEX
Super Moderator

Strong Schadenfreude in this thread.

Anyway the wide body looks like crap because of the sidemarkers on the front.

And yes, they've been doing this for a while. Anyone remember the "SRT Design" Chrysler 300's? All the show; none of the go.

And Audi does it was well with their "S-Line" trim. It's not an "S" but it looks like one.

As said above; it's about making money. Lots of people will buy a lower model then try to 'clone' the higher end one. Now they can just order it from the factory that way. FCA is just giving people what they want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 R/T R&T - "HEMIGASM" - Gone but not forgotten.

2010 SRT8 - Sold

2015 SRT 392 - RIP

2016 SRT 392 - Jazz Blue, AFE Momentum GT intake, SOLO Performance exhaust, 20% Tint, Black Carbon Fiber Racing Stripes, BT catch can and underhood bling, tinted tails, Oracle LED sidemarkers, Mopar Strut Brace, Rennen Forged RL-55X wheels, Nitto NT555 G2 tires

2017 Corvette Z06 2LZ - Arctic White with Red/Black Interior, Carbon Fibre Everything, Transparent Roof Panel, Spectra-Grey Wheels, Data Recorder/Nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
FLEX grinds his own coffee with his teeth and boils the water with his rage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Credible Hulk
I always back up my rage with documented sources and facts.
Do you even lift?
The Following User Says Thank You to FLEX For This Useful Post:
USAFA-09 (07-06-2017)
post #5 of 28 Old 07-06-2017
FST4DR

Agree^^^There are a bunch of 2011-2014 RT's around here that look just like my SRT! Can not tell the difference until they want to go fast. LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to FST4DR For This Useful Post:
USAFA-09 (07-06-2017)
post #6 of 28 Old 07-06-2017
Playhard

I don't know, To me it's still diluting the the line up somewhat. But profit is profit and shareholder value drives the machine.

We all know the arguments on both sides of the fence. I guess at the end of the day you would have to ask yourself would you have purchased something different knowing how things are today. Maybe, maybe not.

For me there were two distinct reasons why I bought my SP. 1st and foremost, I wanted the 392 with the 8 speed and 2nd, I wanted the unique body kit because I liked the look. Now, would I have still bought the SP if I could have purchased an RT with the same body kit for a lot less. Yes I would. I wanted the 392. I think the same is true for those who purchase a Demon. They are after the engine and performance that comes with it irregardless if the Hellcat now has a wide body kit available.

2015 Charger Scat Pack 392 loaded. Granite Crystal Metallica, 45% Tint. "Constantine"
2011 Charger RT Max, K&N Drop In, Aces IV, 45% Tint, Tungsten Metallic. Traded. Will be missed. "Lucy"
2009 Pontiac G8 GT, White. Sold "White Lighting"

Last edited by Playhard; 07-06-2017 at 01:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Playhard For This Useful Post:
USAFA-09 (07-06-2017)
post #7 of 28 Old 07-06-2017 Thread Starter
USAFA-09

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEX View Post
Haha! Yessssss (he says with evil grin)...I might actually consider renaming my 5.7 Daytona "Schadenfreude"

Awesome $100 word there...damn Germans not only manufacturer great cars, but their damn words even out perform us!!
post #8 of 28 Old 07-06-2017
FlyersHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEX View Post

Anyway the wide body looks like crap because of the sidemarkers on the front.

And yes, they've been doing this for a while. Anyone remember the "SRT Design" Chrysler 300's? All the show; none of the go.

And Audi does it was well with their "S-Line" trim. It's not an "S" but it looks like one.

As said above; it's about making money. Lots of people will buy a lower model then try to 'clone' the higher end one. Now they can just order it from the factory that way. FCA is just giving people what they want.

I think we all went over this same topic before.

They all do it.

Mercedes-Benz has the AMG appearance package, has the looks but no motor.

Big deal.

*Traded* 2010 Charger R/T AWD. Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl exterior, black leather interior, front chin spoiler, Flowmaster Original 40's, tinted windows.

*Current* 2013 Charger SRT8 Super Bee. Black. Flowmaster Super 40's, and 20% tint all around.
post #9 of 28 Old 07-07-2017
ColdSteel

The total opposite of a sleeper car (an outwardly stock or POS-looking car with extra performance), these folks want to buy a cheap car with no performance and make it look like it can go fast.

hahahahaha

2008 R/T -Demoulded, Debadged, Daytona grille, Predator
Mopar CAI, Tinted Windows SLP Loudmouth II, BT Catch Can, BT Shift Insert
Matte Black SRT Replicas - General G-Max AS03
Stock wheels with Firestone Winterforce tires
post #10 of 28 Old 07-07-2017
rob-2

I like options. Maybe I want the SRT look with v6 MPG. Same reason people put stickers on their car.

I'd love a widebody hellcat.
The Following User Says Thank You to rob-2 For This Useful Post:
USAFA-09 (07-07-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger SRT-8 > Charger SRT Hellcat Supercharged 6.2L Discussion