Weird Burnt smell or Sulphur smell on acceleration - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger SRT Hellcat Supercharged 6.2L Discussion Would you like the BLACK KEY or the RED KEY?

post #1 of 6 Old 02-26-2017 Thread Starter
isaacmaple08

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Weird Burnt smell or Sulphur smell on acceleration

Hey everyone,

Had this 2016 Charger Hellcat for a bit and now with just over 2500 miles on the clock I'm still having a "burnt" or sulphur kind of smell on hard acceleration. At first I assumed it was just new car settling smell or burning off oils but by this point it should be burnt off right?

I know the first thought would be tires burning out, but I'm not doing that, just under decent acceleration and that smell happens.

I've heard the possibility being leaking steering pump or heater core, but I'm not sure. I know the smell of antifreeze and the windows aren't fogging so I don't think it's that.

So far this car has been one problem after another, bad TCM module, A/C module, backup camera had moisture, media player had a software error. All fixed under warranty, but I'm kind of getting tired of seeing my dealers service manager.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-26-2017
N8ECH
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Isaac:
The odor you are smelling is the cat converters doing their job under the higher pressure/heat when you are running the engine much harder. You may notice them smelling "hot", and or the sulpher or rotten egg smell.
As long as it only occurs during spirited driving, you should be ok.

Don

2004 Flame Red Dodge Durango SLT Hemi AWD 3/26/10
2014 Billet Silver Dodge Charger R/T Hemi AWD 10/27/16
post #3 of 6 Old 02-26-2017 Thread Starter
isaacmaple08

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8ECH View Post
Isaac:
The odor you are smelling is the cat converters doing their job under the higher pressure/heat when you are running the engine much harder. You may notice them smelling "hot", and or the sulpher or rotten egg smell.
As long as it only occurs during spirited driving, you should be ok.

Don

Awesome, thanks Don, just the answer I was looking for. Thank you sir!
The Following User Says Thank You to isaacmaple08 For This Useful Post:
N8ECH (02-26-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-26-2017
370 HEMI
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacmaple08 View Post
Hey everyone,

Had this 2016 Charger Hellcat for a bit and now with just over 2500 miles on the clock I'm still having a "burnt" or sulphur kind of smell on hard acceleration. At first I assumed it was just new car settling smell or burning off oils but by this point it should be burnt off right?

I know the first thought would be tires burning out, but I'm not doing that, just under decent acceleration and that smell happens.

I've heard the possibility being leaking steering pump or heater core, but I'm not sure. I know the smell of antifreeze and the windows aren't fogging so I don't think it's that.

So far this car has been one problem after another, bad TCM module, A/C module, backup camera had moisture, media player had a software error. All fixed under warranty, but I'm kind of getting tired of seeing my dealers service manager.
Also remember that the ACES IV has metal deactivators and extreme detergents. That will get clean and then eventually keep clean the fuel system. What you are smelling is the cleaning of the internals even with 3,600 miles on it Isaac.

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
More Power, More Torque, Better MPGs - It's "Rocket Fuel For Your Car"

Custom Designed & Custom Blended "ALWAYS beats off the shelf brands"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Better cooling, better protection without all "The Gunk"
post #5 of 6 Old 08-21-2017
Hreagle

The sulfur smell likely is coming from the cats. In the early days of converters that was a common thing often related to a rich fuel mixture, but it should not be happening in a modern car. You should bring it to the attention of your dealers service department.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-21-2017
Mangoman

Try different gas. Some places have crap gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger SRT-8 > Charger SRT Hellcat Supercharged 6.2L Discussion