Saw a hellcat today! - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger SRT Hellcat Supercharged 6.2L Discussion Would you like the BLACK KEY or the RED KEY?

post #1 of 28 Old 05-27-2016 Thread Starter
frank1966

(Thread Starter)
Saw a hellcat today!

I was driving into work at 10am, i little later than usual on I 87 south, got on the tapanzee bridge in NY and a hellcat blew by me! I never saw him before. I tried to catch up to him to give him a salute but he never let up a little so i can get beside him! He did give me a little exhaust show though since i was about 2 car lengths behind him!

I was so happy to finally see one especially when i saw the cat badge!

Did SRT loose its mojo, swagger, or wow factor (whatever you call it) a little to the SRT Hellcat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2015 SRT B5, Tech/Nav, black roof, Matte black hellcat wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 05-28-2016
Slidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank1966 View Post
Did SRT loose its mojo, swagger, or wow factor (whatever you call it) a little to the SRT Hellcat?
Yeah sure it did, the Hellcat is top dog now and everyone knows it. If you have a new SRT you will be asked often "is that a Hellcat?" so that proves it right there. I'm not worried though, the SRT is the better all around daily driver and has some of the Technology Group options which are not available on Hellcat and to me those were more important than more power since the SRT already has more of it than most anyone could ever need. I wanted the ultimate hi-powered highway cruiser with all the tech and options and was not worried that someone out there is faster (there is always someone faster) so the SRT was the perfect car for me. Glad Dodge has given everyone a choice, there is no better lineup of cars anywhere imho.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

2016 Challenger SRT 392 - A8, Technology Group
post #3 of 28 Old 06-20-2016
bjjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank1966 View Post
I was driving into work at 10am, i little later than usual on I 87 south, got on the tapanzee bridge in NY and a hellcat blew by me! I never saw him before. I tried to catch up to him to give him a salute but he never let up a little so i can get beside him! He did give me a little exhaust show though since i was about 2 car lengths behind him!

I was so happy to finally see one especially when i saw the cat badge!

The SRT models have also lost their "wow factor" & luster due to the cheaper, carbon copy Scat Pack versions.

Last edited by bjjones; 06-20-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 06-20-2016
sal jc

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjones View Post
The SRT models have also lost their "wow factor" & luster due to the cheaper, carbon copy Scat Pack versions.
They've been around for years. Before '15 they were called Super Bees.
post #5 of 28 Old 06-20-2016
bjjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal jc View Post
They've been around for years. Before '15 they were called Super Bees.
Wrong! The SuperBee Charger variants from (2007 -2009) & (2012 -2014) ARE NOT THE SAME AS THE SCAT PACK CHARGER models. The 2007-2009 SuperBee's were a fully loaded top of the line version above the regular SRT Charger & the 2012 - 2014 SuperBee was a stripped, bare bones model with limited colors, standard features & options slotted below the top end SRT Charger Premium model.

http://ebookinga.com/pdf/dodge-charg...-37837009.html
post #6 of 28 Old 06-21-2016
Devils950003

Quote:
Wrong! The SuperBee Charger variants from (2007 -2009) & (2012 -2014) ARE NOT THE SAME AS THE SCAT PACK CHARGER models. The 2007-2009 SuperBee's were a fully loaded top of the line version above the regular SRT Charger & the 2012 - 2014 SuperBee was a stripped, bare bones model with limited colors, standard features & options slotted below the top end SRT Charger Premium model.

http://ebookinga.com/pdf/dodge-charg...-37837009.html
As much as I love my 2012 Bee, I think Dodge was very smart to introduce the Scat Pack to basically act as the successor to the Super Bees.

For one, the "switch" in Bees from the fully-loaded SRT variant in 2007-09 to the stripped down 2012-14 models probably threw some people off (though the latter version was more true to the Bee heritage than the 2007-09). For another, the 2012-14 versions didn't sell quickly...many new ones sat on lots for several months before they were finally sold, often well below sticker. Don't know if it was the graphics/striped seating, the general lack of options and bells and whistles (no leather, no sunroof, etc), or (in some cases) the high-impact colors that turned some people off, but clearly the last-gen Bees lacked universal appeal.

The Scat Pack Chargers definitely have much more of that...and with the right options, you can load them up pretty nicely. It's basically terrific power to fit a number of budgets. I think it was smart to differentiate them from SRT 392s by knocking them down to the R/T trim level. The "power at a discount" formula was tweaked very well with the Scat Pack.

I don't think any one trim level among the Hellcats, SRT 392s, and Scat Packs cheapens any other. You know what you're getting with each one, and there's enough differences in the appearances to know what's what. And I like that a lot of different budgets and price points are covered.
post #7 of 28 Old 06-21-2016
sal jc

Garage
Quote:
^ Well which is it? Top of the line or Bare bones? The '12-'14 SuperBee was a stripped down version of the SRT, that was the whole point of it. A real muscle car. No frills, standard Halogen headlights, Cloth seats, SE dash and door panels, it didn't even have the 8.4" display.. There's little difference between it and the new Scap Pack (& using caps lock and bold doesn't make you right)

The SuperBee was originally introduce in 1968 as a low-priced stripped down muscle car.

Last edited by sal jc; 06-21-2016 at 06:15 PM.
post #8 of 28 Old 06-21-2016
EddieFL
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

The Super Bee was always meant to be the barebones muscle car, the 07-09 (while cool) were the complete opposite of the original formula, which was fixed with the 12-14 Bees. I believe the main reason the 12-14 Bees didn't sell well (besides not everyone wanting a retro package like this) is because there was not enough of a price difference between the regular or "premium" SRT and the Super Bees, as the major differences were in the luxury content of the cars, performance wise they were the same with the edge going slightly in the Bee's favor (most magazines had them run .1 or .2 quicker than regular SRTs on tests) due to roughly a 100 pound weight advantage since they did not have the active suspension, leather seats, and other optional electronic equipment. So dealers charged almost full SRT price for the Bees when they first came out, and of course no one wanted to pay full price for a stripped car. Only after the cars sat for a while and the dealers lowered their price to the low 40s/high 30s did they start to move. And that is the same price at MSRP that the Scat Packs now carry.

Now with the SPs and SRTs there is a bigger equipment difference, with the SRTs having the bigger brakes and wider wheels/tires (with all the other luxury stuff too), even though on paper both make pretty much the same performance test times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 Octane Red Charger Daytona 392 "Fury"

2014 Pitch Black Charger SRT Super Bee "Rebel" - Traded
2014 Pitch Black Charger R/T 100th AE Scat Pack I "Phantom" - Traded
post #9 of 28 Old 06-21-2016
Devils950003

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieFL View Post
The Super Bee was always meant to be the barebones muscle car, the 07-09 (while cool) were the complete opposite of the original formula, which was fixed with the 12-14 Bees. I believe the main reason the 12-14 Bees didn't sell well (besides not everyone wanting a retro package like this) is because there was not enough of a price difference between the regular or "premium" SRT and the Super Bees, as the major differences were in the luxury content of the cars, performance wise they were the same with the edge going slightly in the Bee's favor (most magazines had them run .1 or .2 quicker than regular SRTs on tests) due to roughly a 100 pound weight advantage since they did not have the active suspension, leather seats, and other optional electronic equipment. So dealers charged almost full SRT price for the Bees when they first came out, and of course no one wanted to pay full price for a stripped car. Only after the cars sat for a while and the dealers lowered their price to the low 40s/high 30s did they start to move. And that is the same price at MSRP that the Scat Packs now carry.

Now with the SPs and SRTs there is a bigger equipment difference, with the SRTs having the bigger brakes and wider wheels/tires (with all the other luxury stuff too), even though on paper both make pretty much the same performance test times.
Unfortunately, I think some people not familiar with the Bees' history made the 2007-09 version their standard (loaded to the gills). I'm sure a lot of buyers had no idea that the 2012-14 version was much more representative of the what the Bee is actually supposed to be, and that it was the 2007-09 models that were the real anomalies.

I could be wrong, but I think most Scat Pack buyers aren't buying their cars bare-bones...I think a lot of them are fairly well-equipped. So I don't think that $40k-ish "no options" entry price is very reflective of most Scats. I'd say $43-46k is probably more accurate.

Of course, Scat owners are getting better value for their money, compared to the 2012-14 Bees. Depending on what options buyers go for, Scat Pack owners are now getting sunroofs (never on option on 2012-14 Bees, except for the Vapor Edition, but I don't think of those when I think of the last-gen Bees), fancier seats/interiors, navigation (not available on 2012s from the factory, though some cars could get that added later if their owners were willing to cough up a lot of extra coin), performance pages, etc...not to mention 15 extra ponies. I agree, price was definitely a problem with the 2012-14 Bees, along with the other factors that I mentioned...the price difference from the full SRT8s didn't feel wide enough (think it was about $4200 or so IIRC). My car stickered for over $45k and I got it for about $40k. $45k definitely felt like too much, even with the power, due to all of the stripped-out luxuries. At the low $40k price point it made for an interesting choice: a likely fully-optioned R/T, or SRT power and effects with minimal frills?

At any rate, Dodge clearly made some mistakes with the 2012-14 Bees, and did a nice job correcting them with the Scat Packs.

Last edited by Devils950003; 06-21-2016 at 12:55 PM.
post #10 of 28 Old 06-21-2016
PC440RT

If you have a nearby Cars and Coffee meeting, check them out. May see a Hellcat up close. The local folks here in Columbus, Oh got me thinking about Mopar's again. So I sold my 2013 Callaway 427 and now back in the Mopar family. Oh how I miss my Plum Crazy 1970 Coronet R/T 440.

Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger SRT-8 > Charger SRT Hellcat Supercharged 6.2L Discussion