Fuel grade for 3.5L Charger? 89? - Dodge Charger Forums
V6 Specific Discussion This area is for discussion about V6 powered Dodge Chargers.

post #1 of 20 Old 03-30-2006 Thread Starter
stodge

(Thread Starter)
Fuel grade for 3.5L Charger? 89?

I don't know much about the Charger, and the 3.5L engine in general. What grade fuel does the 3.5L require - 87, 89 or 91? I thought I read that it needs 89 - anyone explain the reasons why? I can never understand why certain engines need certains grades.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-30-2006
charger Bill

Cool Re: Fuel grade for 3.5L Charger? 89?

The owners manual calls for 89 octane. This is due to the fact that the 3.5L engine has a slightly higher compression ratio. The higher the compression ratio the higher the octane rating needed to control detonation or pre-ignition. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-30-2006
ZMagnum

Re: Fuel grade for 3.5L Charger? 89?

I've always pumped 89 for my 3.5L Magnum. Says the same thing in the owner's manual. I don't think 87 will hurt it just may get slightly worse gas mileage.

'08 Stone White Dodge Magnum R/T

MySpace Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TheAutoLog Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 03-30-2006 Thread Starter
stodge

(Thread Starter)

"I don't think 87 will hurt it just may get slightly worse gas mileage."

This is the part I don't get - I've heard people say the same thing about the V6 in the Nissan Maximas, but I don't know whether running 87 won't damage the engine or not.

Thanks for the replies.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-30-2006
ZMagnum

Think of it this way there are tons of 3.5L Chargers and Magnums in car rental fleets. Do you think for a minute that people are filling with 89 when they gas up a rental? It's a matter of timing. The timing will adjust for 87 but your hp will drop slightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stodge
"I don't think 87 will hurt it just may get slightly worse gas mileage."

This is the part I don't get - I've heard people say the same thing about the V6 in the Nissan Maximas, but I don't know whether running 87 won't damage the engine or not.

Thanks for the replies.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-30-2006
salituro64

Send a message via AIM to salituro64

I have the Hemi, but I thought I read in the manual that 87 was OK in the V6, but 89 was recommended for the Hemi. I may be wrong? I also have heard people on my other forum indicate lower octane yields better gas mileage than higher octane.

Was 2006 Stone White RT w/Road & Track
Now 2017 White Knuckle RT w/Super Track
post #7 of 20 Old 03-30-2006
TGW

The manual says 87-89, so it's a matter of what you want to put into it. There are, from my understanding, alot of cars out there that say running a higher octane fuel will run better, but most of that is B.S.. Obviously, the more performance type engines, i.e. the Hemi, would need to run something higher. But if this is your daily driver and you don't plan to put a bunch of mods into, I think you would be fine to use 87. I'm getting ready to drop all of my mods in my car over the next few weeks, so I have been running 89 since I got mine 2 weeks ago and am averaging about 21.5-23 mpg depending on how I drive. It all depends on how you use it and what you plan to put into it.

2006 Brilliant Black SE

Performance:

Mopar Exhaust
WR Intake
Jet Stage 1
Me behind the wheel

Coming soon:

"Charger" signature badges
35% tint all around
Black powder coated 17" Dodge aluminum wheels
Heavier shoes to push harder on the pedal
post #8 of 20 Old 03-30-2006
ChargerSXT

I run 87 in my SXT, and that's all I've ever used. I normally get 20-21 mpg. I decided today, actually, to fill up with 89 for the next few tanks and see if there are any differences in feel, mileage, etc., especially with the intake and exhaust mods that I have.

As for higher octanes getting worse fuel mileage, I believe that that applies to fuels with octane ratings much higher than the recommended rating. I filled up with 87 octane a few tanks ago and added an octane boost fuel additive. Now, I don't know just how much the effective octane rating of my fuel was after I added the additive, but I do know that my mileage dropped dramatically. I got just uner 19 mpg, if I remember correctly, with no change in driving habits.

Rule #1 of the Car - Respect the man's car and the man will respect you.

post #9 of 20 Old 03-30-2006
steelwheels

I used 87 for the first few tanks, and then switched to 89. I was surprised to see my mileage and power go way up with the 89. (SXT)
post #10 of 20 Old 03-30-2006
ChargerSXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelwheels
I used 87 for the first few tanks, and then switched to 89. I was surprised to see my mileage and power go way up with the 89. (SXT)
That's nice to hear. I hope that I have the same experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion