Charger Forums banner

A/C Low Pressure Port Size - 134A

43K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  that_guy 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 Dodge Charger SXT with the 3.6L engine and 8 speed tranny. It's about 5 months old to me and now that summer heat is here - the A/C doesn't feel as cold as my 2000 Dodge Intrepid (RIP). Therefore, I wanted to check the A/C pressure.

So I dug out my old A/C adapter for 134A.

I found the Low pressure port line (Large Tube) near the firewall on the drivers side. Removed the cap - and the A/C adapter for 143A doesn't fit. The fitting is slightly larger.

Doing some Internet search - seems the R-1234yf freon has a slightly larger port connection.

Does this car have 134A with the larger port connection? Any clarification would be appreciated.

Chris

It's the lower one in the pic....

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 2014 Dodge Charger SXT with the 3.6L engine and 8 speed tranny. It's about 5 months old to me and now that summer heat is here - the A/C doesn't feel as cold as my 2000 Dodge Intrepid (RIP). Therefore, I wanted to check the A/C pressure.

So I dug out my old A/C adapter for 134A.

I found the Low pressure port line (Large Tube) near the firewall on the drivers side. Removed the cap - and the A/C adapter for 143A doesn't fit. The fitting is slightly larger.

Doing some Internet search - seems the R-1234yf freon has a slightly larger port connection.

Does this car have 134A with the larger port connection? Any clarification would be appreciated.

Chris
It is unlikely that it's got the wrong ports. 2014 should be R-134A. A telltale for R-1234-yf would be that the high side is merged into the low side for cooling the high pressure line.

Run your VIN for the build sheet. Random VIN from 2015 SXT I found online below showing R-1234-yf

Random VIN from 2015 SXT

#4 ·
Looks like 2014 was the changeover year for the new R1234YF refrigerant, the previous years do not show the refrigerant on the build sheet so assume they are all R134a.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I narrowed it down a little. [emoji16]

Looks like the changeover to R1234YF happened at the end of February 2014 and the lowest VIN I've found is EH224885.

Yeah crazy about the sticker, must have ran out of the others! LOL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Has your vehicle ever been involved in a front-end accident? If so, the body shop may have installed the wrong label when they repaired it. 2014 Chargers went to the YF1234. The grey service valve cap you showed is for the new stuff. Looks like the one on our '18 Grand Cherokee. While it is possible the system is low and needs a charge, if the car is new to you and you are comparing it's A/C performance to a MY2000 car, it may just be the way it performs. Most older systems(and I'm referring to older R-134a systems not the old old R-12 ones!) cooled better IMO. What I've noticed in the past several cars I've owned(and driven as rentals) is around 2007 or 2008, the "cold" feel of the A/C seemed to diminish. My hunch is lower system charge and/or smaller capacity compressors are being used for fuel economy. My '12 R/T as well as our Jeep both cool well, but there are times I wish both could blow colder. On the Charger, sitting in traffic seems to affect it worse. Once you start moving and getting air across the condenser, it blows cooler air. Good luck and keep us posted!

#12 ·
I took the car to the Dealer on Saturday - had a full A/C check. Come to find out - the A/C blend actuator had an open circuit. The high / low pressures were fine.

Had my head scratching.

I paid the diagnostics fee and got the part from the Stearship. I ask them to reset the vent actuators before I left.

The part is replaced and the air flow from the vents is much stronger. No warm up in heavy traffic.

#13 ·
My 14 is also r1234yf. It was delivered april of 14. I think the alfaobd app on the play store can also read the values from the hvac system actuators and can tell it to calibrate.

The epa has not yet approved the r1234yf refrigerant for sale to individuals, only to manufacturers and licensed shops. That's probably a good thing because hooking up one of those cheap cans at the parts store that usually has oil and dye in it just ****s your whole system. The extra oil will degrade the performance and the stop leak clogs up orifice tubes and expansion valves. Once you've got that stuff in there, no ac shop will knowingly touch the system. And if you don't tell them and it gunks up their machine with stop leak you'll be buying them a new one. The only way to properly service an ac system is with a manifold gauge set that goes on both the high and low side, and the only way to know how much refrigerant is in the system is the evacuate and recharge.

That rant aside, as far as overall system performance goes the r1234yf system in these cars should have no problems cooling. Even idling for 2 hours in a parking lot when it was near 110° and humid it was still able to keep the temp in the low 70s in the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.