Charger Forums banner

Got my 2017 Hellcat, but have a little problem.

12K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  jerrybear 
#1 ·
I got my 2017 Charger SRT Hellcat and it came with one glitch. On a random basis, almost always on the first start-up in the morning, my display screen freezes up. This often happens on the backup camera screen and it's a freeze frame. This screen stays on frozen even if I shut the car off and open the door to kill power. My radio goes off, and after a mile or so of driving, it reboots showing the splash screen and then all is well. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so was it fixed? This is getting annoying and my dealer says the factory is aware of it and is working on a software upgrade to resolve it. I'm curious if anyone else got one of these. Thanks!
Eagle

#3 ·
It's almost certainly software. My '15 Durango had some weird software issues with the uConnect. Rebooted a couple times while I was driving around. Lost all the favourite radio stations a few times. It hasn't had any bugs since the last software update.

The HellCat must use a different version of the software. I'm surprised it's still buggy.

#26 ·
In 2016 the display and radio got changed. I don't know what's in a Durango but the 2016's on Chargers have a new real HD display and a HD radio as well as the standard 8" display. Everything works better than in my 2011 R/T, the voice command stuff is also much better at figuring out weird names when voice dialing.

#4 ·
So this is a legitimate issue. I thought the post was gonna be something like, my car keeps melting the tires, how do you stop from doing that.. .haha

Well thats that the dealership is for. But as mentioned, software glitch and or radio and should be easily addressed.

#5 ·
I have had the same thing happen on my 2017 SP, although it only happens once every 2-3 weeks instead of everyday. I would have to guess that it is a software issue that is correctable with a patch, so I don't think we are stuck with it permanently. It is definitely annoying, but I think we just have to live with it for the moment. Sorry that I can't be of any more help!

#7 ·
#8 ·
At least it isn't just me!

I was hoping this wasn't just a problem with my car, I always seem to get the weird ones. It's been hot here for a while and the issue has not happened in a few days. I can just about count on it happening if it's cold and wet, but not much so on hot mornings. Maybe the weather is just a coincidence, but it does seem to be a factor. I'll keep bugging my Dodge store and hopefully the update will be along soon. Thanks for the replies...

Eagle

#10 ·
I was hoping this wasn't just a problem with my car, I always seem to get the weird ones. It's been hot here for a while and the issue has not happened in a few days. I can just about count on it happening if it's cold and wet, but not much so on hot mornings. Maybe the weather is just a coincidence, but it does seem to be a factor. I'll keep bugging my Dodge store and hopefully the update will be along soon. Thanks for the replies...

Eagle
All these discussions around flaky uconnect. Mine went bonkers just once so far. It got into a state where it was stuck on the radio input and seemed to be wedged. It ignored input from physical buttons and didn't respond to any touches to the screen. I was on a short run to the store and when I came out to drive home and call my local dealer, it was behaving normally again. That was about a month ago and hasn't happened since.

Best,

#18 ·
Not Yet.

So far I haven't had this issue resolved. For maybe a week it didn't happen, it was hot here, but then it happened 3 times in as many days. All 3 times it was on the first morning start-up, and the weather had gotten cool. I stopped in to my Dodge store and talked to the service manager last week to ask about it, but so far no updates have been issued. I'm told the updates are now pushed out over the air, and when an update is available I'll get a notice on my display that it's ready to be loaded. On my older cars I had to put the update on a USB stick and update it that way. I got an email from Dodge last week with a survey and commented about the issue. I clicked the box that I wanted a phone call to talk about it but so far no call. It would be nice to get this fixed.

#20 · (Edited)
The update Has been posted!

About a week ago I got an email from Dodge with a link to a customer survey. So I filled it out and in the comment section I wrote about the issue I was having with my display and clicked on the box about wanting to talk with a rep about my issue. Today I got a phone call from Sue, a Uconnect rep, about the answer to my issue. It seems that an update has been posted that is supposed to fix our problem. She sent me this email with instructions...

On 8/23/2017 4:00 PM, CAC_Case_Manager@chrysler.com wrote:
Dear Customer:

Case #: 32216974
VIN: *****************
Vehicle Description: DODGE CHARGER SRT HELLCAT FOUR DOOR SEDAN

Hi Warren, This is Sue with Uconnect Case Management. Further to our conversation, I can be reached at 877-855-8400, extension 471 8326. You can also reply via the link within this email. The software update can only be performed using a computer and a USB flash drive. You will require a clean/blank flash drive between at least 16 gb but up to 32 gb formatted to FAT32 for Windows and MS-DOS for Mac. The software update can be found at http://www.driveuconnect.com/software-update/. You will also need your entire VIN number which is *****************. At http://www.driveuconnect.com/software-update/, just under the steering wheel you will see the message “SEE IF THE SIRI EYES FREE SOFTWARE UPDATE IS AVAILABLE FOR YOUR SYSTEM”. You can then enter your VIN # and follow these instructions: Select CHECK FOR UPDATES. Select GET STARTED On the next page you will see three blue boxes. Select the right box, VIEW AVAILABLE UPDATES. On the next page, under the DOWNLOAD button, click on the (hyperlink) word here to download the update directly in your browser. A box will appear, and select Save as and save the file which will be UCONNECT_VP4R_US_NAV_CR16.11_LALDLX_MY17 on your desktop. Right click on that file and select Extract All and extract the files to the flash drive. There will be a series of 3 folders and four files. You can then take the flash drive out to your vehicle, ensure Bluetooth is turned off on your phone, make sure the vehicle is running and plug it into the media USB drive in your console and the software will download to your uconnect system. Please call us at ************** if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you. Sue

Sincerely,
SUE
Customer Assistance Center

I extracted the 8 gig Zip file to a 16 gig USB flash drive and went through the update procedure which took about a half hour. Only time will tell if it fixed my problem, but one thing different is that I no longer get the splash screen with the warning you either have to click on the acknowledgement button to remove or wait for it to time out. I now immediately get the display screen set to the page it was last on when I shut the car off. I hope that feature is permanent because the warning screen was annoying. I told her we had been talking about this issue on the forum and she wanted me to post her email for you guys to read. I'll have to give it a couple of weeks to see if the update fixed it but Sue was certain this would fix the issue.

Good Luck,
Eagle

#21 ·
I extracted the 8 gig Zip file to a 16 gig USB flash drive and went through the update procedure which took about a half hour. Only time will tell if it fixed my problem, but one thing different is that I no longer get the splash screen with the warning you either have to click on the acknowledgement button to remove or wait for it to time out. I now immediately get the display screen set to the page it was last on when I shut the car off. I hope that feature is permanent because the warning screen was annoying. I told her we had been talking about this issue on the forum and she wanted me to post her email for you guys to read. I'll have to give it a couple of weeks to see if the update fixed it but Sue was certain this would fix the issue.
My splash screen still comes up after the update.

#24 ·
Finally seems to be Fixed!

I didn't want to post until I had a chance to give the Newest fix a good test but after maybe 3 or 4 weeks I'm confident that it's been fixed. The Uconnect Techs have been very attentive to me, many calls and emails. They even called to talk with the service manager Chris, and the parts guy Steve. The bottom line is that they installed a new radio and it solved my problems. They shipped it overnight, I stopped in the next day and it was sitting in parts waiting for me. I was planning on making an appointment to have it installed but the service writer Shawn ran it right into the shop for me and had a Tech do the swap while I waited.

This has been a PITA but at least it didn't affect me driving my Hellcat. I have to give credit to the people at Doan Dodge here in Rochester, N.Y. for doing everything they could to help, they have been great. Also Kudos to The Uconnect department at Dodge for making the repair of this glitch a top Priority. Rarely have I had a company give me such excellent communication right down to several follow-up phone calls inquiring if it was now working properly. I read about some people having bad experiences with Dodge, but in my case they were great.

#27 ·
My symptoms

Make me wonder if my '14 R/T R&T could be lumped in the group too.
Occasionally the rear camera screen will remain on after being in reverse to back out of somewhere. I might drive 100 feet or I might drive ten miles before it will 'Thaw' and let me change the HVAC settings or something in the player, etc.
The car is in the alternator recall flail, only ever had one instance of the Batt Saver Mode light, but I've had several times of the car being totally dead sitting in the garage. No lights-nothing. Popped the hood and put a battery charger on the power stubs and hit the trunk opener on the key fob.
Voltmeter said the battery was fine, 12.6 volts, removed the NEG terminal for about 30 seconds, replaced it and the car started right up.
!!!???!!!

#29 ·
You have a dealer that is one in a thousand! Local hosebag wants an hour of 'Consult' labor for anything and everything- even if it's warranty coverage. It's become almost standard to pound on the counter first thing to get their attention, have my own tablet handy to show them what I've found on a particular problem, and then listen to them say 'Well, I'll be! I never heard of that before!' (When they are in fact lying thru their teeth.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.