Charger Forums banner

9s Charger Hellcats

7K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  RitzRT 
#1 ·
Are you guys seeing all these lightly modified charger's with 1000HP running mid-9s?

I'm blown away by this. Family sedan 4400lbs and all.

#5 · (Edited)
The ZF transmission in the Hellcats (8HP90) is allegedly good for up to 900 newton meters of torque or about 664 ft/lbs. A STOCK Hellcat is good for about 650ft/lbs so my guess is that significant additional power is likely going to eventually have some consequences with the transmission unless there is pretty aggressive torque management going on.

Folks with the normally aspirated 6.4L have a little more wiggle room....but not much. Stock torque is about 475ft/lbs and the 8HP70 is good for about 516ft/lbs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

#9 ·
I'm hoping to be at about 900WHP after the next Month or so. My understanding is the reason the A8's can hold that 900-1000whp is due to the torque management and cutting fuel during the shift. A lot of guys on the HP Tuners forums were breaking the trans by disabling torque management and removing the cutting fuel part and they were mostly stock.

Been building the supporting parts up to handle the extra power like 1-Piece Driveshaft, Catch Can, Rear diff, wider wheels and tires etc.

Now i've added LT Headers, CAI, 180 T-stat, Killer Chiller and am soon to be adding a tune, upper and lower pulley, injectors. ethanol gauge and e85.

If I ever decide to go past this I figure i'll need to start changing out the rods and pistons to hold any more boost. Much of that is predicated on my contract being extended though.

#11 · (Edited)
The fox bodies had issues with lightly modified 302's twisting the frame from the added torque. I had a buddy who swapped in a 351 windsor marine engine and he cracked two windshields before he put 2 and 2 together and significantly braced the frame. Back then, if you had 400-ish HP in one of those, it was considered a rocket. :) They were fun to drive tho...

Still debating if I want to supercharge my 6.4L. It's PLENTY fast as it is, but that sounds like it might be a fun weekend project. I'd probably chicken out at 6-7psi on the stock bottom end tho.

Best,

#14 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.