Charger Forums banner

V-8 with no hood scoop

11K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  K-Dawg 
#1 ·
Besides the Pursuit model, has there been any year that you could get a V-8 in a Charger that did not have a hood scoop. In essence, the same hood as the SE or SXT, but on an R/T and up?

I looked at the new Chargers, and it looks like as soon as you go to the R/T, you get a scoop. I'd like to go back into the used market, and if there was a year or range of years that you could get a V-8 and smooth hood, I'll narrow my search to that range.

#5 ·
OK, so what option, package, trim, whatever in the R/T gets you the scoop.

When I go to the 2019 "Build your own", and select the R/T (over the SXT), I get a picture of a car with a scoop. If I want a 2019 (or any previous year) R/T, what is the magic option selection that ensures a smooth hood?

#16 ·
^ Subjective but valid point. I would define the look as clean lined.

I know when I turn my SP off, engine heat boils from the scoop so there is functionality during driving and shutdown. I will admit that its a bug scoop too making engine bay cleanup a little more tedious.

#17 ·
I think the scoop makes the front of the car look too bulky. I'd prefer a smoother looking front end, especially on this big car. I mentioned somewhere else that the Chrysler 300 SRT did not have a scoop & the car performed just fine.

Years ago hood scoops were popular because they sat on top of the carb and fed it cool air. That's not the case nowadays.

I'm sure the scoop feeds some cool air into the engine compartment. But would it be better to have rear facing louvers in order to let hot air out, as used on some cars?

Putting louvers in a flat hood might be a neat mod.

#18 ·
The bulge is distinctive and sparks debate for sure.

I think the OP might still be able find a new 2018 sitting stagnant on a lot somewhere with the flat hood. Other than that I guess it's a used pre 2019 R\T that will need to be bought if a MOPAR or aftermarket flat hood does not align to the 2019 R/T.

#20 ·
And even though I'm not particularly fond of the 8-speed (compared to the 5)
Why? I had 07 300 srt & the 5 speed. The 8 is a WORLD of difference. The 8 speeds also feel just as fast with the 5.7. Shifts are great, it stays in the gear you want, when you hit the gas the car just keep pulling. No lag, even the paddles are much improved.
I hated the 5 speed cause it was never in the gear you would want. Even with the transformer, the shifts were better but way harsher. The bluetops also were a PITA on downshifts. Mine would bang on each downshift(something you could feel)

#21 ·
My issue with the 8 speed is the manual shifting. When I hit an off-ramp at 80 MPH, or some jabronie changes lanes in front of me at highway speeds, I like to grab a gear rather than get into the brakes at high speeds. With the 5 speed, you grab one gear, and you get instant deceleration. With the 8, you've got to slam it 3 or 4 times, into 5th or 4th to get the desired effect.

Same thing on the country roads at slower speeds. I normally grab a gear when decelerating into a curve which puts me right where I want to be when accelerating through and out of the curve. With the 8, since you're not sure what gear you're in (there's so many), you don't know how many you have to down shift to be in the right gear. With the 5-speed, it's always 1-downshift needed, no matter what the scenario.

I rarely upshift with the auto-stick or paddles. Once I'm done with my down-shifting, I hold to the right to go back into Auto.

#24 ·
I get you are probably going for a sleeper look, no hood badges etc
I gave that about 3 seconds of thought then I remembered as soon
as I start it, aint gonna fool anybody when they hear that growl coming
from the black menacing looking charger. So now I just show them
taillights instead, and don't worry about it.

#25 ·
I've been contemplating on getting a hood scoop for my 08 R/T. I think it'll help tremendously to help keep the engine bay cooler. Plus I think it'll make the car look nice.

The only issue I got is when it rains, it could quite possibly cause issues with the water all over the motor and such. I've been mulling ideas in my head about a pan of some sorts under it or diverting air on to it that will allow air to flow in, but drain off water. Plus, I don't want it looking like something McGuyver came up with. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe this has been already designed but I haven't come across it. Any ideas would be appreciated. Because once I cut that hole in the hood, I'm committed.

#28 ·
Part of me kinda wants to "plain-jane" my car and go with the flat hood and change out the bumpers too to make it look like a very "ordinary" white Charger... basically just like the unmarked cop cars around here.

But then again, I like it the way it is too. :)

#33 ·
Pre 2019 R/Ts came with the standard hood. Some of the option packages on those do add the SRT hood, but you should be able to find plenty of well equipped R/Ts without. Personally, I could take or leave the faux scoop. It is fairly subtle and looks pretty good with the rest of the car, but I don't find it really adds anything to the car. I've never once looked out at my R/T and said "gee I wish I had the hood like the SRTs do." Now, I would like the round exhaust pipes like the SRTs have over the rectangular openings. I believe the '19s also did add those to the R/T. Call it the Avis rental look all you want, but my black R/T with the stock 20" chrome wheels gets more compliments than any of the other cars I've ever owned...combined. Not that I think she's not a looker, but I never imaged a sedan would get so many compliments.

Good luck with your search! Whichever hood you end up with, you'll enjoy the car alot.

#34 ·
Thanks for the info. I've been keeping an eye on Autotrader, and I've noticed the other feature I don't partcularly care for is the trunk partial spoiler. Spoilers on sedans look a little out of place, in general, but if you're gonna do it, do it. that small integral humped up thing I've seen on some R/T's doesn't work for me.

The model I'm drawn to, the most, is the '15, '16, '17, '18 Pursuits. No scoop, no spoiler. Don't have that giant crosshair grille (Pre-15's), available in AWD, and those wicked cool black steel wheels with the chrome center hubs. No side badges, and only one small one on the trunk to remove. Some come with the push bar already, and for the ones that don't have them, they're a sub-$500 bolt-on.

#35 · (Edited)
Just buy a '18 or older RT, and install a push bar if the pursuit look is what you're going for and you can't find a used pursuit on the market. Not sure if any civi RT comes with the steel wheel and dog dish set up but I'm sure for the right price you can pick those up too. And by doing a little retro on a civi RT you won't get those annoying poser spotlights and antenna holes in the trunk deck or top.

#36 ·
I have a 16 R/T Road & Track and my hood is PX8 (pitch black and no hood scoop) but it's wrapped in carbon fiber right now -- I would literally ship you my hood and pay for shipping both ways lol

Besides the Pursuit model, has there been any year that you could get a V-8 in a Charger that did not have a hood scoop. In essence, the same hood as the SE or SXT, but on an R/T and up?

I looked at the new Chargers, and it looks like as soon as you go to the R/T, you get a scoop. I'd like to go back into the used market, and if there was a year or range of years that you could get a V-8 and smooth hood, I'll narrow my search to that range.

#37 ·
If your going to get one of these...be warned. Unless you can find a low mileage low use one...they get put through hell & beyond. You do not want a dodge out of warranty that was used for police work.
I have seen FHP routinely go off road & curb hopping with them. Imagine the things we don't see happen!

#38 ·
Autotrader and Cargurus have quite a few that have between 100 and 5000 miles. My understanding is that sometimes small departments get budgets for cars without budgets for people to drive them. They'll sit in storage an get turned in a year or two later, when the finally figure out that they're never going to use them. Some are also new-old stock. Been sitting in a dealer's lot. They can't sell new Pursuits to civilians, but they can sell used ones. So you can find some 2017s and 2018's with under 200 miles on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.