Charger Forums banner

I need opinions on my exhaust

4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  texassquarehead 
#1 ·
So I have a 2016 sxt charger. I already deleted the mid muffler and end resonators. I want to delete the cats and install an x pipe (I don't know why dodge didn't just do an x pipe to begin with, smh...). What price sounds reasonable for a muffler shop to do this? If it helps, I'm located around San Antonio, TX. Thanks!

#2 ·
Are you sure there is not already an X-pipe on the exhaust system? I don't have any specific info saying there is an x-pipe on the 2015+ models, but the 2011-2014 models had one, and I cannot see them removing that from the exhaust system design as a part of the 2015+ refresh...maybe they did, but it would seem counterproductive to do so,...

Anyway, if it has an x-pipe, it will be behind the cats and ahead of the mufflers, somewhere in the mid-forward section of the car, right before the tunnel in the underside begins at about mid car. Jack it up and crawl under there a little ways, you should be able to tell if its got an x-pipe once and for all. Dollars'll getcha donuts that it does have one already.

To your question about how much it will cost to have an exhaust shop remove your cats, I am going to say $0.00 most likely.

AFAIK, it would be illegal for them to remove the cats on a car driven daily on public roads (and thereby subject to state inspections every year) without replacing them with a new set of [functioning] cats. And not only would they be breaking the law, the laws they would be running afoul of are federal in nature. That means big fines and massive headaches for being found in violation of them.

Translation: no one is going to even entertain the idea of removing the cats without a plan to replace them at the same time.

But even if you could have them removed, it wouldn't provide you much, if any, of a performance gain in the car's operation. Not to mention the PCM would notice them being gone, throw several DTCs, and illuminate the Check Engine Light until the missing data points were reinstated or turned off (not a simple task).

That is important to know because the PCM's operation of the engine will never enter closed loop mode as long as the CEL is on. Which means it'll constantly be using an air/fuel mixture where the proper ratio is merely guessed at (open loop mode) instead of calculated and recalculated on the fly a hundred times a second like it should be (closed loop mode).

Translation: You will be down on performance across the board, down on MPGs in both city and hiway, and spewing more pollution in the surrounding environment than necessary if you have the cats removed.

Extra pollution (more than necessary) may not bother some folks, but if you live in a large city like I do, that buildup of VOCs and the resulting ozone on hot, muggy days can be seen and felt. And it ain't anything you will enjoy, I assure you. Not to mention the affects it has on your breathing if you have asthma or something similar...

#3 · (Edited)
So the exhaust after the cats goes into a y pipe then splits into 2 again. I'll attach a picture for reference. A muffler shop said about $250 for the x pipe after I said I could supply the actual x piece. As for the cats, I've had a the same shop quote me $80 for each but that would throw the codes. I've seen that you can weld on O2 bungs that trick the sensors but I'm skeptical as how well that works (if it does). I'm just looking for a louder sounding exhaust, I'm a v6 and don't expect much performance gains to start...

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
The stock SE /SXT exhaust is a horrid (but quiet) mess consisting of a the down pipes merging in a Y, a short single pipe section, single muffler, another short single pipe section that splits at a "T" going into the resonators.

Since you have already removed it anything a local muffler shop tries to cobble together will just end up sounding like $HIZZ (believe me, I had SEVEN different systems on my 2013 V6--the 3.6 drones like a PIG from 1600-2400 rpm)

The Rallye & Blacktop editions (and the 2019 GT) have a true dual exhaust that you could put on, but they are expensive ($1500) and pretty quiet too. Your best option is to put on a SOLO J pipe system for around $850, or a Borla for $1450. I use the Solo on my 2016 SXT and love it.

https://shop-solo-performance.com/e...xv-catback-exhaust-kit-v6-charger300-sxt.html

https://www.borla.com/products/300_charger_catback_exhaust_atak_part__140686.html

Attachments

#7 ·
Damn, they really went nuts on the 2015+ exhaust. That's more like the old 2010 and below exhaust with the Y pipe. The GT exhaust in the last pic was what I envisioned all the V6 exhaust looked like now, but I guess I was wrong.

What where they thinking?!?!

#6 · (Edited)
When mine was stock (with the crappy single/split system) it got what the factory said it would 30-31 mpg. With the Solo exhaust and AFE Momentum GT Intake (with Hellcat air tube) it gets 34-36 mpg.

Just switching out the two factory systems won't help the MPG much, but the performance is better.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
Well on the 2018, the Rallye exhaust was dropped from the Blacktop package. Mine has the 2-1-2 exhaust, but there's just not much to be gained with an expensive exhaust unless you are drastically changing the induction (supercharger). What I noticed on this exhaust is that the system necks down from 2.5" to 2.25" on both ends of the muffler. I plan on straightening that out with 2.5" in/out, probably just a jegs chambered muffler or a regular turbo, just to remove that restriction. I'm putting short bullet resonators in place of the stock ones but using tips that exit outside the rear facia to reduce drone. About $300. What the Rallye with CAI and dual exhaust gets you is something like 8hp? Do the math, most of that is from the CAI. Anything you do to the exhaust past removing the restriction at the muffler is done for tone (which is cool) but $1k for aftermarket exhaust is just silly for 6hp... going to do it in stages so i can modify plan as needed. I would like to see pics anyone has of their external exhaust tip mods. Was planning on some eBay dual tip stainless ones canted to align with the curve of rear bumper and with chrome trim bezels removed. Roughly inspired by what's in the pic..

#10 ·
Well on the 2018, the Rallye exhaust was dropped from the Blacktop package. Mine has the 2-1-2 exhaust, but there's just not much to be gained with an expensive exhaust unless you are drastically changing the induction (supercharger). What I noticed on this exhaust is that the system necks down from 2.5" to 2.25" on both ends of the muffler. I plan on straightening that out with 2.5" in/out, probably just a jegs chambered muffler or a regular turbo, just to remove that restriction. I'm putting short bullet resonators in place of the stock ones but using tips that exit outside the rear facia to reduce drone. About $300. What the Rallye with CAI and dual exhaust gets you is something like 8hp? Do the math, most of that is from the CAI. Anything you do to the exhaust past removing the restriction at the muffler is done for tone (which is cool) but $1k for aftermarket exhaust is just silly for 6hp... going to do it in stages so i can modify plan as needed. I would like to see pics anyone has of their external exhaust tip mods. Was planning on some eBay dual tip stainless ones canted to align with the curve of rear bumper and with chrome trim bezels removed.
I wonder if you might be happy with a stock R/T exhaust? You can usually find take-offs on Craigslist for cheap money, and it's fairly quick and easy for a shop to put them in. For a few hundred bucks you wind up with a complete, stainless dual exhaust, with X-pipe.

#19 ·
Since I'll be doing mine in stages, that will be first. I'm thinking you could go with a less restrictive muffler if you keep the stock resonators. They are huge and after seeing the cutaway, I doubt they negatively affect performance (other than the weight lol). I might just try a Flowmaster 44 or something and see what I get. They reso should knock down anything unpleasant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.