Tire lifetime - Dodge Charger Forums
Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension (2011 +) Discussion about anything involving the wheels, tires, suspension components, etc.

post #1 of 20 Old 01-22-2019 Thread Starter
zander21510

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Tire lifetime

So I took my tires in to get patched (nail in the tire) and while they were checking things they told me all my tires tread are at 4/32, about 15,000 miles since I got them. He said they're still fine but at the rate I'm going it'll be time to replace them in a few months.

The tires have 60K mile warranty, they're nice Continental DWS extreme contacts...so that seems awful quick to wear down so much. The guy said I'd get some money back but I specifically got these thinking they would last longer (maybe not 60K but at least 30 or 40...)

Is this normal with Chargers? I guess I'm just too much of a "spirited" driver...

His: "Oprah"; 2015 Dodge Charger Rallye
Mods: aFe CAI; TAZER; Engine Cover delete; Classic C-Pillar Script Emblems
Hers: "Gayle"; 2013 Nissan Rouge SV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-22-2019
N8ECH
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Zander:
If they are really worn that much, then you should get a fair amount back. 2/32nds is usually the standard for being no longer serviceable. It would not be safe in any level of water, and 4/32nds is not considered safe for snow.

Sometimes, you get a bad run of tires that wear too quickly, and sometimes the model of tire in question sacrifices longevity for performance. Unless you run autocross every weekend, or slide around every corner on two wheels, it's probably just the tires. In any case, I would not run tires that worn in our SW Ohio winters. I see you are in the great state of Texas, so possibly you can run them a bit longer.

Don

2004 Flame Red Dodge Durango SLT Hemi AWD 3/26/10
2014 Billet Silver Dodge Charger R/T Hemi AWD 10/27/16
The Following User Says Thank You to N8ECH For This Useful Post:
GTO_04 (02-11-2019)
post #3 of 20 Old 01-23-2019 Thread Starter
zander21510

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Yeah I think I'll be ok to 2/32 around here, especially since this winter has been unusually mild and lacking in any snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-23-2019
jt2016

I have never gotten more then 20K-25K out of any tire on anything I have owned. 5K mile rotations.

16 RT B5
07CSRT8-retired
post #5 of 20 Old 01-23-2019
FlyersHockey

I don't think I've ever gotten more than 25k out of any tire for a performance car ever.

I got about 44k on Hankook Opitomo's on my wife's old 2013 Kia Sorento. I got about 37k on Michelin Defender's that I had on my 2008 Chevy Impala. But those werent vehicles with big motors.

Got about 21k on Cooper CS5 Ultra's on my 5.7 Charger.

Got about 12k on my Atturo AZ850's. Have about 17k on my Atturo AZ800's right now and they're down to 4/32. My wife has 18k on here Continental's on her Infiniti and they're shot.

*Traded* 2010 Charger R/T AWD. Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl exterior, black leather interior, front chin spoiler, Flowmaster Original 40's, tinted windows.

*Current* 2013 Charger SRT8 Super Bee. Black. Flowmaster Super 40's, and 20% tint all around.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-24-2019
Mangoman

Went through 2 sets of DWS's on my G8, 1 set a year, 12,000 miles and done! Last time I wasted my hard earned money on those tires! Switched to Michelin PS AS-3's, got almost 2 years out of the set. Switched to Generals and after 3 years still had tread when I traded the car in. Use Generals on my Charger now, great tires.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-28-2019
JackE

The tire life depends on the car more than the driver. I had a Crown Vic with Michelin Destinies on it. 55-60 was how far I could push those. I tried the Goodyear Assurance triple tread and they didn't last 12K. I went right back to the Michelin. My buddy ran the Assurance on his Subaru and got 65K out of them. My Fusion Hybrid came with those low rolling resistance E tires. 44K on the factory set. I tried some other brand after those. I lost 5 mpg and they only lasted 10K. Right back to the original set, right back to 42 mpg, and right back to 44K per set. My Charger came with the Goodyear Eagle, I have 23K on these after replacing the full set at 6K because of 3 defective tires. I'm at about 50%. I expect I will be replacing these before next winter. Hopefully I can find something with some good 'Charger Reviews' for less than $200 per tire, but if I can't, I'll go right back to the Goodyear. These tires have served me well so far.

2017 Charger SXT
Blacktop - Rallye - Super Track Pak
Destroyer Grey

The most effective tool in the world to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun!
- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
I Am a Sheepdog!
post #8 of 20 Old 02-02-2019
georgiapi

I like my Premire A/S tires very much. Confidence in the wet is as advertised. Mileage is not.
So I get my tires at a shop that has Road-force balancers, life time free rotation, and do so every 4k, and when they hit the wear point I get another for about 1/2 price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-02-2019
Jerry-L

Garage
15000 miles out of a set of OEM tires? That's nuts! Well, at least when mine wear out I'll likely install a good three-season tire on it instead of these "performance" tires. Then I'll be able to drive it more. They are downright scary on any road below 35 degrees.

When the "performance" tires wore out on the Miata I replaced them with a set of GoodYear Eagle tires and have been really happy with them. I have them stored right now because I have the winter tires and rims installed until spring. (Blizzak - FTW!)

Let us know how many miles you were able to get out of them when you get new ones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jerry
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
post #10 of 20 Old 02-02-2019
that_guy

I had several sets of dws, a couple sets of nitto motivos, and now some michelin as3+'s. I haven't had any of them until the end of their treadlife yet (very long story short, discount tire around here is incompetent and liars, and they've gotten replaced several times).

The DWSs I had were wearing at a rate where they'd last to about 30k miles at best. (They were great in the rain)

Nittos, didn't have them long enough to tell.

Michelins, 10/32nds new last January. Now about 13k miles later two were at 5/32nd and two at 6/32nds. So they ain't gonna last long either.

-14 Charger R/T Max AWD Pitch Black
-99 Durango SLT 5.2L 4WD(NV242) Intense Blue
-86 Porsche 928S (summer project, barn find without the barn)
-69 Satellite (318 for now) Ivy Green
-27 Chrysler 50 Coupe (bought new by my great grandpap)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Models (2011 - Up) > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension (2011 +)