Charger Forums banner

Hellcat Owner Thoughts

7K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  EMS-Pilot 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. Long time inactive member, but looking to possibly trade in my 07 Charger SRT for a 16 or 17 Hellcat. Ten wonderful years and 120k miles on the SRT but getting the 707 hp bug.

Not much in the way of owners on here it looks like, but figured I'd shake the tree and see if anyone fell out.

Any owners with thoughts on the Hellcat? Particularly owners for whom this isn't their first performance car?

#2 ·
I don't own one, but know several people that are members of Detroit Area Modern Mopars club, and each one of them absolutely love their hell cats.

#9 ·
Cool, that's the word I've gotten from other owners.

I don't own one either, but bragging rights alone should be a good enough reason. C'mon, who can't be mesmerized by the fastest, most powerful production sedan on the planet.
Bragging rights not as much of an issue, but thanks!

Not an owner but I'd pick up a 16 with a few miles on the clock if I didn't have another car in mind.
Another performance sedan?

Welcome back, Matt! :wave:
Hey Ron! Long time no see!

Last information I read (source forgotten) listed the transmissions on the Hellcats only rated at 720HP..

Are these people who are supposedly adding power modding the tranny too? Or are they blowing them up?
Good info to know; I didn't know the trans was rated that closely to the max power output.

The 8HP90 in the Hellcat is rated at 900 Nm. So 900 x .7375 = 663.75 ft lbs of torque. This is rated load limit! So potentially they could do well into the 800 hp and 760 ft lbs of torque without sweating it much at all.
I appreciate your info. Not looking to modify mine at all if/when I get it. I know all about the limits of the NAG1 -- My Challenger was one of the first to be pushed to over 650 HP before its trans gave out.

#3 ·
I don't own one either, but bragging rights alone should be a good enough reason. C'mon, who can't be mesmerized by the fastest, most powerful production sedan on the planet.

#6 ·
I don't own one either as I have the 2006 Charger SRT8 and with only 11,840 miles on it , plan to keep it around as part of the collection.

However, I have MANY Hellcat customers and we have a lot of discussions about them. Most all of them love the car, as it is of course a rocket. Almost all of them have modded them up to get even more power our of them. In Washington state, one of my customers took his Hellcat and added a cold air intake, a downpipe, a tune and 1.5 oz. per gallon of ACES IV-P in 91 Shell pump gas with ethanol and got 54 more horsepower so a total of 761 HP!

Another customer in Canada is trying to get to 10.20s and we just shipped them ACES IV, differential lubricant and 7.5w40 Ultra HP Competition QuantumBlue + a QB Ultra HP High Flow Black Oil Filter. Going to see what we can do that on the track.

I have another customer that has a sublime 2015 Challenger SRT Hellcat 6 speed and a 2016 Plumcrazy Charger Hellcat 8 speed (8HP90). He said after owning both, he like the Charger better! Most all of them do.

All the Hellcat guys we have as customers are extremely happy with them as they really are a factory race car out of the box.

As the guy from head2head said.......car sounds like an "angry drunken cannonball" as it accelerates. Might as well get one while you still can......writing on the wall says that they will not be around much longer!:serious:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

#11 ·
There is a dedicated Hellcat forum that has a wealth of info. Many used to have RT's and SRT's. Good info also on performance modifications and how to track the car with 275's. Good luck with the purchase.:beerchug:

There are several Hellcats that are over 800 hp with the stock trans and they track the car regularly.

#13 ·
There is a dedicated Hellcat forum that has a wealth of info.
Aha, of course, a different forum. Not like I'd want to keep my "lifetime membership" on here or anything.

I have only used the RED key because the black key...well...who cares really.
Was actually thinking on the test drive, as a daily driver, I'd be using the black key more than the red, because the opportunity to open it up would be rare in daily traffic.

Thanks for the info!

#12 ·
As a hellcat owner, Its incredibly powerful (as we all know), it gets looks and thumbs up everywhere, and of course every Mustang that strolls by wants to get all chesty but is quickly put in its place.

I just took her on a long drive and averaged 27.5 in ECO mode all highway. LOVE that, and yes I have a pic to prove it. Its my daily driver and I most love the sound of that exhaust.

I have only used the RED key because the black key...well...who cares really.

#14 ·
You can definitely use the black one, however, the RED key can be used to reduce the HP to 500 as well. The Black key just limits the hp to 500 whereas the red key can do both. As a daily driver myself, the ECO mode is great on the highway and in the city so far.

There is a huge difference and it can be felt in the car while driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.