Charger Forums banner

Uh-Oh Demons...New Chally Hellcats get Widebody!

8K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  MCaesar2018 
#1 ·
Saw this article today (couple days old)...looks like Dodge is already going to diminish the Demon outward appeal/looks by offering the new Challenger Hellcats in a widebody, same body shared by the Demon. Now, first off, I truly could not care less, but I do find some chuckling satisfaction in the new Demon owners out there who, almost before they even take delivery of their new Demon, they'll drive away and see an exact match of their lim-production Demons with Hellcat guts...how dare Dodge!

We'll likely see the same entitled complaints seen from SRT/Hellcat owners who think they are so special that Dodge should not allow "lesser" engines/models to share the same looks/appeal as their super special SRT badged queen. (This is coming from a two previous owner SRT guy, '14 and '16...and now a very happy (with Lifetime Mopar Protection) 5.7L Daytona guy!) =)

Article: http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/06...widebody-ready-to-squeeze-into-showrooms.html

But seriously...let's assume for a second we all agree that an SRT and/or Hellcat should truly be distinguished from the rest of the pack (I do understand the argument), why do we think Dodge continues to bring their premium brand looks/performance and spread the wealth to all lower models, which I think we can't deny has decreased the high end values some, for example encouraging a once SRT-aspiring customer to instead go for the Trak Pak loaded V6 or 5.7...why does Dodge see this as the acceptable way forward? Just wondering what the logical or group thoughts are on this?

See less See more
#2 ·
LOL, It is called making money!! Actually from reading the Challenger and Modern Mopar sites, the few that have ordered the Demon could care less. They are getting a track ready very unique Challenger.

Some of the current Hellcat owners like the widebody looks and others have said it has the aftermarket fender flare look. Myself, I am getting one as soon as the prices come down and the used widebody is available. Not being able to put some serious meat on the rear of the current Hellcat has been a complaint of many owners. Dodge is just reading what a majority want and is giving the public a very good choice. Besides a few minor cosmetic features and computer programs, the interior of an SXT looks like the interior of the Hellcat. And if you were not a Mopar fan most folks would not be able to tell the difference.

The bottom line is that the Challenger and Charger are not High End Cars. They will depreciate about the same as others that are not labeled Luxury Performance. No mater what the exterior looks like.

#3 ·
LOL, It is called making money!!

And if you were not a Mopar fan most folks would not be able to tell the difference.

The bottom line is that the Challenger and Charger are not High End Cars. They will depreciate about the same as others that are not labeled Luxury Performance. No mater what the exterior looks like.

Agreed! And doubly (word?) agreed both Hellcat versions and even SRTs need to eventually allow for wider tires, so in that regard, kudos to Dodge for pushing a widebody to the Hellcat where it'll be fun to see more grip all around for that already monstrous car. I was able to track my '16 SRT a few times at Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, CA...awesome experience and took that car to all it's limits (g-force had me a 1.01 G's on left and right, 0.97 stopping and .76 accelerating, such a blast of a track! With that said, I can only imagine better tires (those were all stock, everything stock on that car).

In any case...money will always prevail I agree...which is why I'll NEVER understand why a standard manufacturer like say Toyota, Honda or sure even Dodge doesn't come out and make a screamin hot looking car that looks just like a Lambo, Ferrari, Aston, McClaren, etc etc...I mean come on! I'm not asking to change all the guts and performance or even quality parts...just make a Chrysler 200 (lol, just hypothetical here) that kills it in the looks department and makes a Ferrari owner jealous, it's just a change to the CAD and designs and thus body on the same car...

Anyways, I digress but will never understand the decisions behind all the various "looks" in the auto industry...like the Mitsubishi Galant? WTF? (or many others that had to have been designed and produced in an absolute vaccum near Pluto (always a planet to me!)

Reactions: FST4DR
#4 ·
Strong Schadenfreude in this thread.

Anyway the wide body looks like crap because of the sidemarkers on the front.

And yes, they've been doing this for a while. Anyone remember the "SRT Design" Chrysler 300's? All the show; none of the go.

And Audi does it was well with their "S-Line" trim. It's not an "S" but it looks like one.

As said above; it's about making money. Lots of people will buy a lower model then try to 'clone' the higher end one. Now they can just order it from the factory that way. FCA is just giving people what they want.

Reactions: USAFA-09
#7 ·
Strong Schadenfreude in this thread.
Haha! Yessssss (he says with evil grin)...I might actually consider renaming my 5.7 Daytona "Schadenfreude" :bigthumb:

Awesome $100 word there...damn Germans not only manufacturer great cars, but their damn words even out perform us!! :grin2:

#8 ·
I think we all went over this same topic before.

They all do it.

Mercedes-Benz has the AMG appearance package, has the looks but no motor.

Big deal.

#6 · (Edited)
I don't know, To me it's still diluting the the line up somewhat. But profit is profit and shareholder value drives the machine.

We all know the arguments on both sides of the fence. I guess at the end of the day you would have to ask yourself would you have purchased something different knowing how things are today. Maybe, maybe not.

For me there were two distinct reasons why I bought my SP. 1st and foremost, I wanted the 392 with the 8 speed and 2nd, I wanted the unique body kit because I liked the look. Now, would I have still bought the SP if I could have purchased an RT with the same body kit for a lot less. Yes I would. I wanted the 392. I think the same is true for those who purchase a Demon. They are after the engine and performance that comes with it irregardless if the Hellcat now has a wide body kit available.

#9 ·
The total opposite of a sleeper car (an outwardly stock or POS-looking car with extra performance), these folks want to buy a cheap car with no performance and make it look like it can go fast.

hahahahaha

#11 ·
Why is it assumed that people want to "look fast"?

Fast doesn't have a look! It just so happens that fast cars generally are made to look more appealing. I therefore find no fault with someone who likes the aesthetic appeal of performance cars and opts to put that look on a more conventional ride.

I, for one, am a fan of the wide-body kit and menacing look of the demon. But even if I managed to sell a kidney and buy the car, there's no way in hell I'd be able to insure it!

So do I have to just sit around and pout? Not anymore!

Now I can buy a more affordable vehicle that I would still love to look back on after parking!:biggrinjester:

#14 ·
Honestly Dodge is one of the only car brands that "Gets it" . Dollar for Dollar they are offering the most well equipped and in other cases powerful vehicles to a wide end of consumers. I would say the only area they are lacking on is making a more powerful Dart for the compact car segment but in general they are killing it in all other areas. This is the main reason im getting my family a Durango this weekend, we wanted a mid/large suv with decent gas mileage and good looks under 40k, its a no brainer. :rocker: As far as the Op's thread im sure some hellcat owners want the wider fenders to run the larger tires and be able to rotate them and some other just really like the look of the demon without the over the top track configuration. Either way merica lol.

#15 ·
We have a '14 R/T Durango and absolutely LOVE that car, versatile in so many ways and a beast as well, the AWD is amazing and the comfort on long trips is second to none when of course looking at price, tech/features and bang for buck. It looks slick and still mean but elegant and refined all at once. A great choice, you will not be disappointed, I love my Charger but still have to declare our Durango as our favorite Mopar in the garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 ·
True....true...but I would argue each of those examples are still short of competing in the looks category with any supercar out there. They seem to always fall short in truly making it turn heads for the right reasons, or still make it look too commuter in minor ways. My mom has the Solstice GXP tho...it's a fun ride, definitely has the go factor but that's mainly the GXP.

I would argue if any manufacturer built a supercar looking ~$30K car, with a decent V6 setup or an easy V8, or turbo'd 4-cyl, we'd see a ton of folks wanting that look without being the millionaires they would otherwise have to be to afford that look at true supercar performance levels. Just my opinion...I mean, I would argue half or more of Lambo owners are not buying those cars for performance but rather love and know the head turning they are getting. Sure it sounds good, yes it's very fast, but besides an actual filmed car show, when do we ever see them on tracks. So if suddenly that look was available in a daily-commuter affordable car, I don't see why they wouldn't fly off the lots with everyone who had the lambo posters on their wall but only dreamed.

I understand both sides tho

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.