Charger Forums banner

HOW TO: Create a BACKUP Garmin Nuvi device

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  MikesDodge 
#1 · (Edited)
I found this out while doing some research, and of course testing it.

What this does, is create a second Garnim Nuvi "device" that you can update your maps on, if you use this to update the maps on your 2011- 2014 maps.

This would be helpful if your original Garmin Nuvi dies and you won't have to get a new one!

What you will need for this:

(1) Garmin Nuvi Navigation System

(2) USB Flash Drive of at least 8+ GB (Preferably USB 3.0 if you have USB 3.0 ports on your computer)

Steps to do this:

(1) Take your USB Flash Drive and format it as FAT32 (I don't think label makes a difference, so you can call it Garmin Nuvi or whatever)

(2) Create a folder on the USB Flash Drive called "GPX"

(3) Connect your Garmin Nuvi to your computer and browse to the GPX folder on it, and copy the "current.gpx" file to the same folder on your flash drive

You should now be able to use that flash drive in your computer, and have Garmin Express see it as a device. You can reinstall the maps and any files to it that need to be updated.

At this point, you can pull any files to need to create an updated USB flash drive to update the maps on your 2011 - 2014 vehicle!

See less See more
#3 ·
This would be helpful if your original Garmin Nuvi dies and you won't have to get a new one!
I tried this, but it didn't work
Thanks for trying but the prices on used Nuvi devices has dropped a lot since Scotty posted that procedure. A used Garmin Nuvi that has free Lifetime map updates and the files we need for the Uconnect Nav can be purchased for $50 to $70; or less. Just look on this forum, Craig's List, eBay, Facebook Marketplace, etc... I bought mine off Craig's List.

#4 ·
But isn't there the risk that you could get a used unit that is outside of the 24-month rule and can no longer download maps?

#5 ·
isn't there the risk that you could get a used unit that is outside of the 24-month rule and can no longer download maps?
If the Nuvi device included Lifetime map updates they will not expire. I bought a used 2595LM and all I needed to do was register the device to continue receiving the map updates. If you're buying a used Nuvi just lookup the model on the internet and see it's features when new.

2595LM:
Detailed maps of North America with free lifetime updates

#7 ·
He's right lifetime maps don't expire. I have garmins older then that but not a model that works to update my 2013 RB5 radio.
There used to be a way to download the map files online and run them off a flash card for nuvis without LM but I haven't seen that in.a while Or know if it has all the files needed to update the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.