How not to break your IAT sensor. Unlike lazy/stupid me. - Page 3 - Dodge Charger Forums
Performance Discussion/Modifications Discuss any performance modification in this section.

post #21 of 51 Old 10-30-2009, 06:29 AM
dgrosa76

Thanks for the cautionary info! I took it to heed last weekend when I switched out my CAI. I just used some spit and some elbow grease. It was still difficult, but at least it didn't break. Appreciate the info, might have saved me from a broken sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 Old 11-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Midlife Crisis

Thought I better post this;

I installed the cai yesterday after reading the stickied cai install threads. They all mentioned the temp sensor red locking clip and how tough it was to remove the sensor so I was prepared to 'pull like hell'
Well on my '09 R/T;

There is no red locking clip, just an old style push lock and the connector is gray

The sensor is mounted in a hard plastic nipple, not rubber, so I'm thinkin, hmmm it must be o-ringed.

After 5 minutes of 'pulling like hell' I take a good look at it and see a half circle arrow embossed at the base of the nipple.

A quarter turn counterclockwise and then a gentle pull and it came right out.
There is an o-ring on the sensor and two foils that remind me of cam locks.
So easy a caveman could do it
post #23 of 51 Old 11-28-2009, 03:07 PM
MikeDog

IAT on 2009 RT with R&T

This last post helped me out alot last night with my K&N install. Just one extra word of help for an 09 RT with R&T, before you can make the counter-clockwise quarter turn to pull out the IAT, I had to pry up the little protruding plastic piece with a very fine flathead screwdriver, then twist it out.
post #24 of 51 Old 11-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Phanta5m
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDog View Post
This last post helped me out alot last night with my K&N install. Just one extra word of help for an 09 RT with R&T, before you can make the counter-clockwise quarter turn to pull out the IAT, I had to pry up the little protruding plastic piece with a very fine flathead screwdriver, then twist it out.
good to know...
post #25 of 51 Old 12-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Keavdog

I just did mine as well and had the same connector. Actually easy to remove once I stopped looking for the red thing . I broke the little tab off the IAT - the one that locks it in with the 1/4 turn on the 09 intake. I installed the mopar CAI and really had to push to get the IAT in the grommet - how did yours go? I wanted to get it in to the o ring but it would go and I was afraid of breaking it. See pic.

John

09 RT. 11.796 @ 113.15
11 IE Challenger 392 #787 (Sold)
13 Boss 302 Laguna Seca #392
15 Challenger Hellcat <- soon....

post #26 of 51 Old 12-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Phanta5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keavdog View Post
I just did mine as well and had the same connector. Actually easy to remove once I stopped looking for the red thing . I broke the little tab off the IAT - the one that locks it in with the 1/4 turn on the 09 intake. I installed the mopar CAI and really had to push to get the IAT in the grommet - how did yours go? I wanted to get it in to the o ring but it would go and I was afraid of breaking it. See pic.
take a look at this video... it may help

http://www.*******garage.net/challen..._mopar_cai.htm
post #27 of 51 Old 12-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Keavdog

Sure does. Dielectric grease on my shopping list. I'd like to get it installed flush to be safe.
post #28 of 51 Old 12-02-2009, 05:11 AM
Midlife Crisis

Yeah, mines all the way in, I used a drop of dish soap smeared on the grommet first and it went right in. FYI; mine was a K&N
post #29 of 51 Old 01-31-2010, 06:55 AM
ChargerLewis

I got it out with no problem, getting it back in the CAI was a bit harder. As far as the tab part, never had an issue with it maybe I'm just lucky. I feel like going outside and break mine so I can feel like part of the group.

06 Charger SRT, AFE Stage 2, 85 mm p/p tb, Intune 91 CAI tune, JBA catback exhaust, Jet 180 Thermostat, 20" Chally SRT wheels polished w/ Black pockets BT skull center caps, visor badges, and front badge, BT catch can. Alpine 6190 touchscreen stereo
post #30 of 51 Old 04-07-2010, 05:10 PM
brewhaha02

I just broke mine about 5 minutes ago. THEN, I decided to read the post about not breaking it. Going to try the electrical tape on the inside trick...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

User Tag List