How not to break your IAT sensor. Unlike lazy/stupid me. - Page 3 - Dodge Charger Forums
Performance Discussion/Modifications Discuss any performance modification in this section.

#21 Old 10-30-2009, 07:29 AM
dgrosa76

Thanks for the cautionary info! I took it to heed last weekend when I switched out my CAI. I just used some spit and some elbow grease. It was still difficult, but at least it didn't break. Appreciate the info, might have saved me from a broken sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#22 Old 11-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Midlife Crisis

Thought I better post this;

I installed the cai yesterday after reading the stickied cai install threads. They all mentioned the temp sensor red locking clip and how tough it was to remove the sensor so I was prepared to 'pull like hell'
Well on my '09 R/T;

There is no red locking clip, just an old style push lock and the connector is gray

The sensor is mounted in a hard plastic nipple, not rubber, so I'm thinkin, hmmm it must be o-ringed.

After 5 minutes of 'pulling like hell' I take a good look at it and see a half circle arrow embossed at the base of the nipple.

A quarter turn counterclockwise and then a gentle pull and it came right out.
There is an o-ring on the sensor and two foils that remind me of cam locks.
So easy a caveman could do it
#23 Old 11-28-2009, 04:07 PM
MikeDog

IAT on 2009 RT with R&T

This last post helped me out alot last night with my K&N install. Just one extra word of help for an 09 RT with R&T, before you can make the counter-clockwise quarter turn to pull out the IAT, I had to pry up the little protruding plastic piece with a very fine flathead screwdriver, then twist it out.
#24 Old 11-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Phanta5m
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDog View Post
This last post helped me out alot last night with my K&N install. Just one extra word of help for an 09 RT with R&T, before you can make the counter-clockwise quarter turn to pull out the IAT, I had to pry up the little protruding plastic piece with a very fine flathead screwdriver, then twist it out.
good to know...
#25 Old 12-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Keavdog

I just did mine as well and had the same connector. Actually easy to remove once I stopped looking for the red thing . I broke the little tab off the IAT - the one that locks it in with the 1/4 turn on the 09 intake. I installed the mopar CAI and really had to push to get the IAT in the grommet - how did yours go? I wanted to get it in to the o ring but it would go and I was afraid of breaking it. See pic.

John

09 RT. 11.796 @ 113.15
11 IE Challenger 392 #787 (Sold)
13 Boss 302 Laguna Seca #392
15 Challenger Hellcat <- soon....

#26 Old 12-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Phanta5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keavdog View Post
I just did mine as well and had the same connector. Actually easy to remove once I stopped looking for the red thing . I broke the little tab off the IAT - the one that locks it in with the 1/4 turn on the 09 intake. I installed the mopar CAI and really had to push to get the IAT in the grommet - how did yours go? I wanted to get it in to the o ring but it would go and I was afraid of breaking it. See pic.
take a look at this video... it may help

http://www.*******garage.net/challen..._mopar_cai.htm
#27 Old 12-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Keavdog

Sure does. Dielectric grease on my shopping list. I'd like to get it installed flush to be safe.
#28 Old 12-02-2009, 06:11 AM
Midlife Crisis

Yeah, mines all the way in, I used a drop of dish soap smeared on the grommet first and it went right in. FYI; mine was a K&N
#29 Old 01-31-2010, 07:55 AM
ChargerLewis

I got it out with no problem, getting it back in the CAI was a bit harder. As far as the tab part, never had an issue with it maybe I'm just lucky. I feel like going outside and break mine so I can feel like part of the group.

06 Charger SRT, AFE Stage 2, 85 mm p/p tb, Intune 91 CAI tune, JBA catback exhaust, Jet 180 Thermostat, 20" Chally SRT wheels polished w/ Black pockets BT skull center caps, visor badges, and front badge, BT catch can. Alpine 6190 touchscreen stereo
#30 Old 04-07-2010, 06:10 PM
brewhaha02

I just broke mine about 5 minutes ago. THEN, I decided to read the post about not breaking it. Going to try the electrical tape on the inside trick...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List