Short Runner Valve. What Is It & Have You Replaced Yours? - Page 2 - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

V6 Specific Discussion This area is for discussion about V6 powered Dodge Chargers.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffykush View Post
sounds like the same problem I'm having...what would cause for the short runner valve to go bad? stomping on it at every light?
the valve itself is prob plastic...maybe metal.

did the valve go bad or did the motor controlling the valve go bad. only way i could see a valve going bad is if the rotor that controls the valve sticks or if the motor the controls the rotor rod the valve is on binds up...

we have a MTV manifold tuning valve which technically is the long runner valves...

these operate around 3500rpm

at 5000rpm, the short runner valves take over offering less distance for air to travel which is better for mid high rpm power as Charger250 pointed out.

*small note* notice how the same works for headers.... short headers are better for mid to upper rpms, and long tube headers are for low to mid rpms in general
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 05:09 PM

My Charger: 2011 Charger Rallye Plus
I just had my intake manifold replaced under warranty at 17k miles due to this problem. I don't think there's a specific cause (maybe a defect), there is a TSB on it and it notes the problem may be especially prevalent on low mileage cars.

2011 Charger Rallye Plus
Airaid CAI, MGP caliper covers, GTO vent shades
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejb View Post
I just had my intake manifold replaced under warranty at 17k miles due to this problem. I don't think there's a specific cause (maybe a defect), there is a TSB on it and it notes the problem may be especially prevalent on low mileage cars.

do you know the TSB number for it?

it didnt come up here

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/tsb/2007/DODGE/CHARGER

or here

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/r...b&serviceType=

also what did they state was the actual problem????
Old 11-19-2008, 05:15 AM

My Charger: 2011 Charger Rallye Plus
Mine started as a code 1004, TSB is here
http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB/TSB_1800307a.pdf

There's another thread on the subject here.
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...ad.php?t=91194
Old 11-19-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejb View Post
Mine started as a code 1004, TSB is here
http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB/TSB_1800307a.pdf

There's another thread on the subject here.
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...ad.php?t=91194
mahalo, brah!

any chance you wouldnt have the one for the o-ring transmission leak fix would ya?
Old 12-21-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlackPearl View Post
So I take my baby to the dealership for oil change as well as some other things and inform the service writer that there is a ticking coming from the engine that has progressively gotten worse over time. When all was said and done they had replaced the short runner valve and the ticking has decreased but my question is, what is a short runner valve and what does it do? Has anybody else in the V6 group had to replace this? I am currently at apx 16.000 miles (I think).
I am having the same problem with my SRV. Just wondering how much the dealership charged you to have it fixed. Also, is it something I can repair myself?
Old 12-21-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpedler View Post
I am having the same problem with my SRV. Just wondering how much the dealership charged you to have it fixed. Also, is it something I can repair myself?

The dealer replaced the short runner valve for free...under warranty. I am not sure if it is something that you can do on your own.

2007 SXT 3.5 V6 Brilliant Black Pearl Jack Sparrow Doesn't Live Here!
SRT Hood w/Scoop |~| Rear Spoiler |~| Smoked Taillights |~| Tinted Windows |~| K&N CAI |~| Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust |~| 20" Torque Thrust M Wheels & 245/45/20 Nitto Invo Tires |~| Blue LED's Under Dash |~| Blue LED's Inside |~| Blue LED Cup Holder Mod |~| 8000k HID - Lo's & Fog's |~| Mopower Deep Dish Grille |~| Mopower Chin Spoiler |~| R1 Slotted/Drilled Rotors |~| Carbon Pads
|~| Flashtech Rear Halos
|~| Hood Scoop LED Lighting |~| Flashtech Blue Head/Fog LED Halo's ~ KSport Springs 1.75 Drop
www.flashtechusa.com
Old 07-30-2009, 11:06 PM

I had the CEL come on my 07 3.5L and the key trick gave me a code of 1004. My car had just flipped 36500 so I was technically out of warranty. I called Chrysler Warranty service and asked them if there was anyway that they would cover it and I was bounced around a few times on the phone and then was finally connected to Chrysler Warranty repair. I explained everything again and told them that I had the code and TSB for the short runner valve and they gave me a reference number and told me to call back after a Dodge Dealership had diagnosed it and that I was responsible for the diagnosis fee. They told me when I called back after Dodge looked at the car they would determine at that time if they were going to split the cost of repair, pay all or none.

I live in Waco, Texas and the Chrysler and Dodge dealerships here closed due to the restructuring and I explained to them that I would have to drive a minimum of 30 miles just to get to a Dodge dealer and they told me that was my only option. I ended getting my car diagnosed in Killeen Texas today and the same code popped up and I was quoted over 400.00 for the SRV replacement and PCM flash, I called Chrysler with the info and they had me on hold for awhile and came back and said that if I paid the 100.00 diagnostic fee, they would pay for the rest so I jumped at it. My car will be repaired tomorrow.

I know this is long winded, just wanted to pass this along.

2007 SXT
Old 07-30-2009, 11:19 PM

Very cool...worth the 100 + gas to drive out there IMO
Old 08-20-2009, 08:07 PM

I'm trying to fix mine for the same P1004 code, I found another web page talking about it and a guy took his actuator off and sprayed in the intake with carb cleaner and it solved the problem. I tryed that it didin't work but the valves work good, free movement, so it must be the Short Runner Valve Actuator. anyone know how much one cost the intake is less than $100? I did notice that the intake was realy oily and had alot of carbon from the EGR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.