Cigarette lighter charger thing wont work! - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

#1 Old 10-04-2008, 12:28 PM
reyrey

(Thread Starter)
Cigarette lighter charger thing wont work!

Wanted to charge my phone so i hooked up the charger to the cig lighter. Light didnt turn on my phone charger signifying that it is charging. I thought it was the charger of my phone so i switch and put on the IPOD charger... same thing! What seems to be the problem can i replace the thing or is there something in where i can try to fix it myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Crow

Check the fuse in the trunk. Look in your owners manual for location #.
#3 Old 10-04-2008, 07:27 PM
wrestlingnrj

Send a message via AIM to wrestlingnrj Send a message via Skype™ to wrestlingnrj
Was your car turned on? I know that if the key isn't 'On' or the car isn't running, the front cigarette lighter won't work, only the one in my center console.

#1 of 2 Doublemint Twins (according to kstryker) Mods: Plenty w/CMR by Stack Performance
Future Plans: 98-01 Subaru 2.5rs coupe (Coming...Who Knows, the Economy Blows)
#4 Old 10-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Part Deux
Super Moderator

^X2

Cig lighter only works when the car is running. That can be easily modified by moving a fuse slightly.

Did you know that - Thread
How do I everything - Thread

aka THO.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 Stoned Charger View Post
I have a name for the 3 new mods...............Druken Purple Pirates!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona606 View Post
American Muscle, like a pit bull. Big but not large, well defined, explosive power, in it till the end. The cat will give it go and zig and zag, but in the end the pit bull will always catch the cat the outcome is never good for the cat.
#5 Old 10-04-2008, 10:30 PM
wickedchargerrt
Banned User

ALSO. . . most car are designed where you cant use the cigarette lighter for those plug in style electronics, they are being setup for cigarette lighters only. You have to use a power outlet if your car has one.
Lots of fords are this way, you cant even begin to fit a cell charger into the outlet , itll only fit in the power outlets. This is to maintain two different circuit loads. the cigarette lighter is usually ran on the same circuit as some interior lighting, the dlc and sometimes even the horn. Too many people would put high amperage items in the lighter socket made for 10-20 amps and blow all the other important stuff. Thats why power outlets are now pretty much all on their own circuit independent of horn, lights and cigarette lighters.
but yea, definetly make sure you have power like the other guys said too but check your power outlets for compatibility not just your cigarette lighter
#6 Old 10-05-2008, 01:13 PM
reyrey

(Thread Starter)
thanks guys for the input i did just find that other outlet in the middle console thats weird with the cig light. Thanks to all for the input problem cleared
#7 Old 10-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Blank Dave

Part Deux is correct though, you can take it in and have it switched so it works all the time.

I use my lighter for my iPod's FM transmitter, and the outlet would just cut in and out randomly. So I took it in, they looked at it, and rigged it up so it's live all the time now.
#8 Old 10-05-2008, 07:09 PM
wickedchargerrt
Banned User

you dont have to have "it rigged"

just go to your rear fuse panel and move the fuse to position 2.
#9 Old 10-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Junior

OK, the picture is of the rear PCB (in the trunk). The Yellow 20A fuse shown below that's out of alignment with the others - that's your ashtray cigarette lighter. If you move it inline with the others it'll be hot all the time (with or without the key). If it's offset like shown, the key must be on for it to have power.

The LX cigarette lighters/power adapters will run devices, and they run them fine. The SRT comes with an air compressor for criminy's sake - no low draw there. And a cigarette lighter itself draws a heck of a lot more amperage than most portable electronics.

Hope that helps.

- Click above for my Hemi Registry page -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List