Electronic Throttle Control problem, car stalls when accelerating just after starting - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
egoolps

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Electronic Throttle Control problem, car stalls when accelerating just after starting

Bought the car in August of 07. In December of 2007, the ETC light comes on after I start the car and try to accelerate. I turn the car off and turn it back on and it's fine.

I brought it to the dealer, and they say nothing is wrong.

The problem started up again 2 months ago. I bring it in and they install a PCM update. That does nothing.

Now, it's happening once again. I can't keep bringing the car in. I honestly don't have the time, nor should I have to have the time, to bring a brand new car in because they can't fix the problem.

The worst part is, the service rep at the desk had the audacity to tell me that I shouldn't be accelerating a car immediately after cold-starting it. I said oh really? Well this is my 5th car, and this is the only time it's happened. His claim was that the computer is confused. I'm like listen buddy, you're confused. I spent 25k on this thing. If I want to accelerate, I'm going to accelerate and should not have to worry about my car stalling.

Sure enough, today I start the car. I accelerate, get to one stop sign and i'm fine. Next straighaway, as my RPM's go up a little, the ETC light and traction control light goes on, I am unable to accelerate. As I get to the stop sign, once I'm at a complete stop the car starts shaking. I turn the car off and on, and it's fine.

I can't be the only person this has happened to. Somehow the mechanics say that it didn't happen to them. I don't buy it.

Anyone out here have the same problem and a solution to go with it? Thanks.
egoolps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2008, 04:00 AM   #2
GLHS837
Super Moderator

Dont suppose you pulled codes didya? A buddy o mine who has a 300C SRT has recently been popping codes for the #1 APP Absolute Pedal Position Sensor. Given that this is accompanied by a code for Pedal Position Sensor Correlation, its lookig like his number one pedal sensor is bad.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:34 AM   #3
atrachsel

Hey man i am having very similar occurences. I have had the car into the dealer 5 times now. Tuesday was the last time and they said they couldnt pull codes as there weren't any. It happened 4 times yesterday. And again this morning.

I am hopefully taking it to a buddy today to hook it up to his computer and maybe he can find a reason.

The dealer so far has:

Flashed PCM twice

Cleaned the injectors

Replaced EGR Valve.

And still the problem persists.

He says the problems we are haiving are not common????

I have pulled codes (ACC,ON,ACC,ON) everytime it has happened which would be 22 times total and everytime it pops out the 0300 code.

Let me know what you find out and i will let you know as well.
atrachsel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008, 06:38 AM   #4
GLHS837
Super Moderator

0300, as I recall, is general misfire. With 0301 being cylinder 1, 0302 being cylinder 2, and so on. Ignition system issue, sounds like.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
kwsa

shaking &/or no acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoolps View Post
Bought the car in August of 07. In December of 2007, the ETC light comes on after I start the car and try to accelerate. I turn the car off and turn it back on and it's fine.

The problem started up again 2 months ago. I bring it in and they install a PCM update. That does nothing.

Now, it's happening once again. I can't keep bringing the car in. I honestly don't have the time, nor should I have to have the time, to bring a brand new car in because they can't fix the problem.

The worst part is, the service rep at the desk had the audacity to tell me that I shouldn't be accelerating a car immediately after cold-starting it. I said oh really? Well this is my 5th car, and this is the only time it's happened. His claim was that the computer is confused. I'm like listen buddy, you're confused. I spent 25k on this thing. If I want to accelerate, I'm going to accelerate and should not have to worry about my car stalling.

Sure enough, today I start the car. I accelerate, get to one stop sign and i'm fine. Next straighaway, as my RPM's go up a little, the ETC light and traction control light goes on, I am unable to accelerate. As I get to the stop sign, once I'm at a complete stop the car starts shaking. I turn the car off and on, and it's fine.

I can't be the only person this has happened to. Somehow the mechanics say that it didn't happen to them. I don't buy it.

06 sxt with 34000 miles
Am having the same problem with the shaking at stop signs/lights and not being able to accelerate until turn car off & on. Mine has happened now 6 times(5 w/codes, 1 w/out), besides all the times my engine lights came on. My dealership has replaced several spark plugs(5 misfires), map sensors, oxygen sensors, cleaned fuel injector, installed combustion chamber cleaner, updated pcm(lost communication w/steering module), then REPLACED PCM(pcm lost communication w/other modules). NOthing has seemed to work cause mine seems to be getting worse, so yours might too. The other day I could not even get it to go over 18mph or rpm's over 1.5 until the engine light came on again then, it would drive. Good luck, keep us posted. Maybe your dealership can figure something out to help you & us.
kwsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
atrachsel

The dealership just tried replacing the spark plugs this morning to no avail. They have now told me they are 100 % sure it is a faulty valve spring. They are fixing it tomorrow.

I will let you know how this works out.
atrachsel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #7
kwsa

Any updates atrachsel?
As for me, currently my car is in the shop for the fourteenth time as the shuddering and loss of acceleration occured 3 times in a row. Last update from the dealership is that the car experienced another misfire in #2,4, & 6 cylinder. The car has already recieved 16 new sparkplugs since January '08. On the good side, the shuddering and no acceleeration finally occured to the service tech and per the dealership, they are contacting a "Chysler Technician" for further guidence. We will see where this gets us.
kwsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #8
Pie8man

Having same problem

This happened to me twice in the last week. 07 3.5 SE If you stop and restart the car it resets. Here is what happened. My ETC light comes on )|( Backwards parenthesis with a lightning bolt between them in red as well as my traction control light. The car idles high and rough and acceleration is poor. I checked my Manual (Instrument section with all the lights and their description) and it indicates that there is something wrong in the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) system and says BRING TO DEALER IMMEDIATELY if this light is on or flashing. I believe that either a position sensor on the pedal or some issue with the throttle servo or wiring is the issue, it could be as simple as a crappy ground. I think the traction control light comes on because the throttle position and the pedal position do not jive.

I will take it to the dealer and see what they think but I will not be spending much money on anything but throttle control parts. If I had time I would just test the sensors and make sure they work properly.
Pie8man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
c4rette

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoolps View Post

I had the same problem and thankfully I took it to the right guy. He cleaned the throttle linkage and all is good. Cost me $80. Do not get the ETC Sensor - it is expensive and won't fix the problem.
c4rette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #10
Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rette View Post
I had the same problem and thankfully I took it to the right guy. He cleaned the throttle linkage and all is good. Cost me $80. Do not get the ETC Sensor - it is expensive and won't fix the problem.
What linkage would that be? Cause our cars don't have any.
Crow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List