Charger Long term reliability, Good or Bad? - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

General Charger Discussion General Discussion about the Dodge Charger.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:21 PM

Charger Long term reliability, Good or Bad?

I'm considering getting a Charger. Most likely it will be an R/T or Daytona R/T with the 5.7. It will be either a slightly used 08 or a new 09 later in the year. I'm the kind of person who buys a car then drives the wheels off it for 6-10 years. Are the Chargers reliable cars over the long haul given good care and maintainance? What are the problem areas if any? People tell me to get an Accord or Camry due to the good performance (V6) and steller reliability. I really like the American style and V8 HEMI power of the Charger, but I don't want to become good friends with the Dodge service department either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2008, 08:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to goMANgo259
i'm looking forward to hearing the answer as well. i've only got like 20k so far and zero problems here. but i plan on havin this car for a long time. hope it doesnt crap out lol
GoManGo #259

Old 08-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goMANgo259 View Post
i'm looking forward to hearing the answer as well. i've only got like 20k so far and zero problems here. but i plan on havin this car for a long time. hope it doesnt crap out lol
x2, for the amount that i have put into it and plan to put into it, i hope the majority of us see that the Charger is reliable for a long time.
Frank Racing Sidewinder cam, Diablo Sport, AFE CAI, , NOESP, 180* t-stat, SLP line lock, Full JBA exhaust system with cermaic headers, Hotchkis swaybars, SRT springs and shocks, BT oil catch can, DMH E-cutouts

R/T spoiler, Demolded, Charger script badges, Painted and Tinted Tail Lights, Viper style hood, hood struts, silverstars, chrome door handles, Billet hood emblem, billet pistol grip, chin spoiler, Daytona grill, gunmetal grey Viper wheels, painted calipers, Kicker subwoofer, SRT seats, Pioneer radio deck, painted calipers and a high bill on the credit card mod.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:28 PM

Long term can't really be judged at this point due to lack of data because the LX Chargers are just finishing their 3rd model year with the '08s. "So far so good" is what a large majority of the current owners would tell you.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:30 PM

Been in the shop twice in 2 years. One was for the notorious tranny oring leak. Looks like that was fixed after 07's, and once for a window rattle that turned out to be a faulty windo regulator. Other than that, easy cheesy.
Top Banana #40 of 4,000. Supporting Vendors who have helped with my Daytona. I support them. They are good, trustworthy vendors: BilletTechnology! RiderGraphix! DMH Cutouts, MPSC, DankoReproductions, RockBlockers, ReflectiveConcepts My pics are here: http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z4/TBYDaytona40/

Old 08-26-2008, 08:38 PM

I take my Charger to the dealer every 3000 miles...
Old 08-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

50K here on my SRt-8, no issues. One thing to remember is that most of the tech in this car came from the previous generation E-Class Mercedes, so it has a lot of development time behind it even before Dodge got it.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:49 PM

I drove an '06 3.5 Charger for 12 months and 56,000 miles without a single visit to the dealer for any type of repair.
I now drive an '07 Charger R/T which I have had for 16 months and 84,000 miles with the only repair being the tranny leak.
I change the oil and filters myself every 4k to 5k miles, I put a new set of tires on at 53,828 miles and I have gone to the dealer for the 30k and 60k miles service.
My next car will be a Charger....I wouldn't begin to make the roadtrips I do in a Camry or a Honda.

Move Out or Move Over!!! I Gotta Go!!
'07 RT
Old 08-26-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
I'm considering getting a Charger. Most likely it will be an R/T or Daytona R/T with the 5.7. It will be either a slightly used 08 or a new 09 later in the year. I'm the kind of person who buys a car then drives the wheels off it for 6-10 years. Are the Chargers reliable cars over the long haul given good care and maintainance? What are the problem areas if any? People tell me to get an Accord or Camry due to the good performance (V6) and steller reliability. I really like the American style and V8 HEMI power of the Charger, but I don't want to become good friends with the Dodge service department either.
I bought my '06 new in November 2005. I have 55k miles on it. I had the common tranny leak and a rattling sunroof early on. At 48k miles, I had a tie rod end go bad. The word is that, over time, the front ends on these cars are the weak point. My car still feels rock-solid and has no rattles or squeaks, and I am very pleased with its durability so far.
2006 Dodge Charger R/T with R&T 14.333@97.39
Old 08-26-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLMan View Post
Long term can't really be judged at this point due to lack of data because the LX Chargers are just finishing their 3rd model year with the '08s. "So far so good" is what a large majority of the current owners would tell you.
x2

BTW, I have a 06 3.5 HO and 07 , excellent cars!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.