2008: Problem removing key from ignition - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

2008: Problem removing key from ignition

I've got a 2008 with the not-really-a-key key. Since I got the car, I've had three instances wherein I've parked the car, put it into park, and shut it off but then wasn't able to remove the key from the hole. It seems the key won't rotate all the way to its normal release point, which is about 45 degrees counter-clockwise of vertical. Instead, it goes about half way.

I've tried the obvious; jiggling repeatedly, stomping on the brake pedal, starting and stopping the car, putting it into gear and back into park, and moving the car a few feet forwards then re-parking, and rotating the steering wheel.

Twice, some minor effort and combination of the above got the key to release. This morning none of that worked. I eventually drove around the block and lo and behold, the key released normally. It's behaved normally ever since.

The question is: am I doing something wrong? I mean, I've seen cars where you can only release the key if your foot is on the brake, or that have a fit if the steering wheel is in the wrong position, but this doesn't seem consistent.

Any hints or suggestions before I bring this to the cringe dealer?
2008 Brilliant Black R/T R&T w/SRT body.114 LSA cam. Borla 125 catback. JBA shorty headers. Aluminum rear-window louvers, custom vented fenders. Front & rear LED halos, Tinted tails. Toyo Proxes 4 245 front 275 rear.
Billet Tech: BSG62 hood & tail emblems, wheel-centers, visor covers, fuse box cover. Custom CHARGER badge. Shifter plate. Frankintake. Satin door locks & pull-rings, engine kit, coil-pack & valve covers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2008, 10:36 PM

I too have the 2008 with the key that isn't really a key. I've not experienced any problems like what you describe, but I will describe my exact "exit procedure" for you, which you can try to see if it is in fact something you're doing wrong.

Here's what I do:

On inclines: Stop vehicle, hold brake, apply parking brake, shift to neutral, release brake, reapply brake, shift to park, rotate and remove key.

Flat surface: Stop vehicle, hold brake, park, release brake, rotate and remove key.

Those are the only two ways I've ever parked the vehicle and I've never had a problem releasing the key.

EDIT: Also, from what I've noticed with mine, the steering wheel lock seems to have no relation to the key. My guess is the steering wheel lock is completely computer controlled. Then again, I could be an idiot, and be wrong.

Last edited by The Nug; 07-18-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nug View Post
I too have the 2008 with the key that isn't really a key. I've not experienced any problems like what you describe, but I will describe my exact "exit procedure" for you, which you can try to see if it is in fact something you're doing wrong.

Here's what I do:

On inclines: Stop vehicle, hold brake, apply parking brake, shift to neutral, release brake, reapply brake, shift to park, rotate and remove key.

Flat surface: Stop vehicle, hold brake, park, release brake, rotate and remove key.

Those are the only two ways I've ever parked the vehicle and I've never had a problem releasing the key.

EDIT: Also, from what I've noticed with mine, the steering wheel lock seems to have no relation to the key. My guess is the steering wheel lock is completely computer controlled. Then again, I could be an idiot, and be wrong.
Thanks for the input. I live in a really flat place, so I've not used a parking brake in 20 years of driving. My exit procedure is identical to your flat egress. Shrug. I'll keep an eye on it and file it as a warranty claim if I need. So far it's about once every other week. That's a lot of start/stop cycles for me.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:37 PM

i just got my 08 today... i've never had a key like this... hope your situation doesn't get any worst
Old 07-19-2008, 08:45 PM

My Charger: 2011 Charger R/T Plus AWD
Cool

You may have an issue with the WIN. Unfortunately, something is blocking me from saving STAR Online cases. So here is a copy and paste.

Case Number K64849105
Vehicle Issue The ignition is stuck in Accessory and cannot be rotated to the off position.
Year 2008
Model LX - 300 | LX - Magnum | WK - Grand Cherokee | LX - Charger | XK - Commander | RT - Caravan / Town and Country
Category Customer Concern (No DTCs)
System or Component Ignition Switch | FOB Integrated Key (FOBIK)
Symptom Stuck | Will Not Turn Off
Condition Verification Yes - Continuously
Case Verification WIN module equipped vehicles.
Recommendation Using the StarSCAN or StarMOBILE read the status of the Gated Park Switch while the ignition is stuck in Accessory.
Make sure the shifter is fully in the PARK position.

If the input is FALSE the shifter or wiring should be examined as the root cause.

If the input is TRUE the WIN module should be replaced for a faulty internal solenoid.

Modification Date 05/07/08 12:23 PM
2011 Dodge Charger R/T Plus AWD- Redline-5.7L Hemi Registry #1650 Tbird100636

2006 Dodge Charger R/T- Inferno Red- Gone-5.7L Hemi Registry # 00696 Tbird100636
Old 07-19-2008, 08:52 PM

My Charger: 2011 Charger R/T Plus AWD
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nug View Post

Here's what I do:

These vehicles (2005-present LX Magnum, 300, and Chargers do not have a steering column lock. According to Chrysler, it was not needed for federal compliance, and with a brake/shift interlock a column lock was considered redundant.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger08srt View Post
i just got my 08 today... i've never had a key like this... hope your situation doesn't get any worst
Its essentially a fat Mercedes Benz Key.

I compared it to a friends C350 and ours is chrome-less and fatter but the shape, and the valet key is the same - just larger.

BTW its called a "FOBIK"

08 Charger SRT8
-Options I, II, III, Side Airbags, HIDs, SRT Design Wheels
-Airaid CAI w/hoodscoop attachment, Predator 91 Tune, Limo tint, Grant Steering Wheel
"Vorsprung durch glaube"
Old 07-20-2008, 10:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to sniferscot
When I was buying My 08 I test drove a different color and upon returning to the lot after my drive I could not get the key out.Neither could the salesman. so the car was taken back to a service bay.No luck there either. Guess this was a good reason I did not buy a Torred charger.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBird100636 View Post
You may have an issue with the WIN. Unfortunately, something is blocking me from saving STAR Online cases. So here is a copy and paste.

Case Number K64849105
Vehicle Issue The ignition is stuck in Accessory and cannot be rotated to the off position.
Year 2008
Model LX - 300 | LX - Magnum | WK - Grand Cherokee | LX - Charger | XK - Commander | RT - Caravan / Town and Country
Category Customer Concern (No DTCs)
System or Component Ignition Switch | FOB Integrated Key (FOBIK)
Symptom Stuck | Will Not Turn Off
Condition Verification Yes - Continuously
Case Verification WIN module equipped vehicles.
Recommendation Using the StarSCAN or StarMOBILE read the status of the Gated Park Switch while the ignition is stuck in Accessory.
Make sure the shifter is fully in the PARK position.

If the input is FALSE the shifter or wiring should be examined as the root cause.

If the input is TRUE the WIN module should be replaced for a faulty internal solenoid.

Modification Date 05/07/08 12:23 PM
Thanks for the input. Obviously any and all information is ammunition. Sadly my condition is highly sporadic, not continuous. So far it's been possible to clear the condition. I'm going to let it happen once or twice more to see if I can gather more specific means of clearing it before filing a warranty claim.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:54 PM

Never had this problem with my Bee...My 'not key' almost feels loose in the slot. Hope I don't get this problem as I'm a volunteer fire fighter and I need to get in and out of my car quickly!
2008 SRT8 SuperBee #976, Options I, II, III, sunroof, rear DVD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.