How many quarts of oil... - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-10-2008, 01:28 PM

How many quarts of oil...

Will I need to change my own oil? I already have jack stands and will be picking up an oil flter as well as a drain pan.

Oh yeah and whats the easiest way to dispose of the used oil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008, 02:18 PM

look in your manual but don't put it all in at once.... the hemi says 7, but that's bone dry at assembly, you never get it all out in an oil change, start with 6 or 6.5, check it then run it for a few seconds and turn it off, let it settle a minute then check it again, then add to get it to the top line.

Not sure what is spec'd for V6 so check manual to get you close.
Mods: AFE stage 2 CAI, Seat belt persistent warning deleted, Painted Calipers, Grille Lighting CCFL and strobes, Shaved Rear Ram Head, "Black Betty" 3rd brake light mask, Door lock rings, Apexcone/DDM Tuning HID Conversion (all 3), Tinted Tails, OEM SRT Hood, Recarro Seat (for my son), Ceramic Window Tint by Huper Optic
www.trianglemopars.org
Old 07-10-2008, 02:34 PM

And, be sure to have a drain pan big enough to hold 6.5 qts. (Ask ElCobra about this one!)
Poor Man's mods: Auto Headlights/Hood Struts/Visor Stickers/Bumper Scratch fix (O-rings)/Lock Pin O-rings/Blinker Mod/RD Hardwire/Cabin Air Filter/Storage Compartment/Blue Calipers/Honeycomb Grill Insert w/R/T Badge/Belly Pan Mod/GTS rain guards/aFe drop-in air filter/Gorilla Lug Nuts/Rear Blinker Mod/Backup Camera/Fumoto valve/PAC Audio media input/Challenger rims
Old 07-10-2008, 02:35 PM

6qts is needed for the 3.5l engine in your SXT, and your local trash place should have some large containers for used oil and antifreeze.

Also remember you need to remove the belly pan/skid plate plastic thingy.. 4 bolts and can't recall their size...

don't over tighten your filter and make sure the gasket of the old one is off.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:49 PM

x 2...6 quarts i changed my oil for the first time and switched to synthetic 2 weeks ago..good luck with your change
Old 07-10-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper View Post
6qts is needed for the 3.5l engine in your SXT, and your local trash place should have some large containers for used oil and antifreeze.

Also remember you need to remove the belly pan/skid plate plastic thingy.. 4 bolts and can't recall their size...

don't over tighten your filter and make sure the gasket of the old one is off.
Thanks everyone.... Anyone know what sive the skid plate bolts are? I am sure I have a full set of tools, unless its a crazy size. I am off to autozone for some Mobile1 right now.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:17 PM

Easiest place I find to drop off oil and the used oil filter is either at a Canadian Tire (don't know if you have one or not, but something along the lines of that) or if you look up in the telephone book for a waste recycling service they usually take them too.

Hopefully that helps
Old 07-10-2008, 05:24 PM

The 4 bolts on the skid plate are 10 mm. It takes 6 quarts of any 10w-30 oil. Personally I would reccomend Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil with a Mobil EP filter. The filter number is M1-204.

Oh yea, and you can dispose of the oil at any place that does oil changes.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyaluronic View Post
The 4 bolts on the skid plate are 10 mm. It takes 6 quarts of any 10w-30 oil. Personally I would reccomend Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil with a Mobil EP filter. The filter number is M1-204.

Oh yea, and you can dispose of the oil at any place that does oil changes.
Yeah thats exactly what I got. I had an oild place change it out to that 6,000 miles ago, and they charger me like $80. It cost me $60 for 6 quarts, mobile one filter and a 15 quart oil catch pan thingy. I am going to attempt to do it tonight, as yes, as much as I love cars, I have never changed my own oil. Its sad.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:50 PM

take your used oil to autozone, or any parts place. they will recycle it for you.
Top Banana #40 of 4,000. Supporting Vendors who have helped with my Daytona. I support them. They are good, trustworthy vendors: BilletTechnology! RiderGraphix! DMH Cutouts, MPSC, DankoReproductions, RockBlockers, ReflectiveConcepts My pics are here: http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z4/TBYDaytona40/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.