Lightning bolt lights up on my dashboard and car stalls when it's cold, lemon? - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:48 PM

Lightning bolt lights up on my dashboard and car stalls when it's cold, lemon?

I partially blame myself for not bringing it to the dealer, but before I do, I'd like to know if anyone else has had this problem.

I bought my car last August. In December, I started up my car and noticed the lightning bolt on my dashboard light up. I looked it up, and it appears to be something electronic related.

From then on out, when the car is cold and/or if I try to step on the gas quickly right after I start the car it will stall. 90% of the time if I step on the gas it does not accelerate. I need to stop the car, turn it off, then turn it back on. Most of the time just by doing that the car acts fine. Sometimes I have to turn it off 2-3 times.

Since it's been warm, it hasn't done it, so I let it go. Well it was 70 today, and I start the car...same thing. The car stalls. I try to hit the gas, nothing. It was almost as if I was in neutral.

Is the car a lemon? Is this a common problem? Help please.

I called up...and the person said they have never heard of this problem (which I find very hard to believe). The big problem is that since it's warm out (and will be 80+ for the rest of the week), they might not be able to figure out the problem.

Is this familiar to anyone? God I hope so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2008, 06:42 PM

My Charger: 2011 Charger R/T Plus AWD
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoolps View Post
I partially blame myself for not bringing it to the dealer, but before I do, I'd like to know if anyone else has had this problem.

I bought my car last August. In December, I started up my car and noticed the lightning bolt on my dashboard light up. I looked it up, and it appears to be something electronic related.

From then on out, when the car is cold and/or if I try to step on the gas quickly right after I start the car it will stall. 90% of the time if I step on the gas it does not accelerate. I need to stop the car, turn it off, then turn it back on. Most of the time just by doing that the car acts fine. Sometimes I have to turn it off 2-3 times.

Since it's been warm, it hasn't done it, so I let it go. Well it was 70 today, and I start the car...same thing. The car stalls. I try to hit the gas, nothing. It was almost as if I was in neutral.

Is the car a lemon? Is this a common problem? Help please.

I called up...and the person said they have never heard of this problem (which I find very hard to believe). The big problem is that since it's warm out (and will be 80+ for the rest of the week), they might not be able to figure out the problem.

Is this familiar to anyone? God I hope so...
Let me try typing this again, since my f---ing internet decided to randomly drop out again when posting my reply.
The lightning bolt light indicates a problem with the electronic throttle, which would explain the poor running. IT IS NOT A LEMON!!! If this is your only problem and you said you haven't brought it to the dealer yet why would you automatically assume its a lemon??? Turn the ignition key on-off-on-off-on and a P code(s) will be displayed in the odometer. Post them here. I haven't run into an ETC problem yet on an LX myself. What year Charger and which engine???
2011 Dodge Charger R/T Plus AWD- Redline-5.7L Hemi Registry #1650 Tbird100636

2006 Dodge Charger R/T- Inferno Red- Gone-5.7L Hemi Registry # 00696 Tbird100636
Old 07-07-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBird100636 View Post
Let me try typing this again, since my f---ing internet decided to randomly drop out again when posting my reply.
The lightning bolt light indicates a problem with the electronic throttle, which would explain the poor running. IT IS NOT A LEMON!!! If this is your only problem and you said you haven't brought it to the dealer yet why would you automatically assume its a lemon??? Turn the ignition key on-off-on-off-on and a P code(s) will be displayed in the odometer. Post them here. I haven't run into an ETC problem yet on an LX myself. What year Charger and which engine???
Why would I assume it's a Lemon? Because I've never heard of a car that is 4 months old having electronic problems.

Out of curiosity, what would the P codes be able to tell you? I will post those tomorrow morning.

2007, 3.5L
Old 07-07-2008, 11:49 PM

The codes will let the techs know where to look for the problems.

I know its been a problem on the V8 cars not sure on the V6

Guess you never owned a newer Mercury Cougar. They were in the shop with electrical problems more than they were on the streets. Can you say - DISCONTINUED
Old 07-08-2008, 05:51 PM

Well well, this is great. I have the same issue that just started to happen 2 days ago, although I have had no idiot lights come on, nor any codes.

Background: 2006 R/T with road and tract. 24K miles and has always run like a top.

Symptom: On a cold start in the morning, I get a rough idle (seems to be getting worse everyday), and upon light accelleration the engine either dies or wants to, as if it's starving for fuel. It stalled once, but would restart fine.

Strange thing is, after it's warmed up it idles fine, but I can feel the engine surging during hard accelleration. Wierd.

I took it in today and left it with the dealer overnight so they can duplicate the rough idle/stalling on a cold start. I'll post conclusions after the dealer fixes it. Hooray for warranty is all I have to say.

Last edited by Crow; 07-08-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:46 AM

Update: Bad gas.....had some diesel mixed in it at the pump. Dealer wanted to pull tank, flush, clean injectors, change plugs, blah blah... 900.00 bucks. Told them to forget it, I'll deal with it myself.

Since I only put in about 10 gallons, and the tank is already at 1/4, I'm just gonna put in some 93 with a bottle of cleaner and let it flush itself out. Like I said, it only ran like crap when cold ( misfires for a minute or so). Diesel doesn't burn very well in a cold combustion chamber and once hot, with the small amount diesel in the fuel, the engine could care less.

Needless to say, I'm not visiting that station again or any station that sells diesel for that matter.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:57 PM

Its your electronic throttle having problems. Take it to the dealer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.