Of Headlights, Tail Lights, Tinting and Crazing - Dodge Charger Forums
Exterior Discussion/Modifications Discussion of exterior modifications belongs in this section, even if the visual modification slightly affects performance (ie. spoilers, etc)

#1 Old 06-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Aremel

(Thread Starter)
Of Headlights, Tail Lights, Tinting and Crazing

I've had and used RockBlockers for almost two years and have been happy with them. However, one of the tails had a slice taken out recently and although it wasn't bad, it was enough that I decided to order another set and replace them.

1st problem - I couldn't find RBAftermarket.com and discovered no supporting vendor (RockBlockers or RBAftermarket) in our list of vendors. So, I googled RockBlockers and wasn't able to come up with anything significant so I went straight to www.RockBlocker.com. I found the kit I needed and ordered. They came and are here.

I opened the instructions to find that they are a little different than I remember. I decided I'd wait and have a pro install them. I decided to go ahead and pull the old ones off anyway. It wasn't tough although they were stuck on well and cleaning the residue took a few rags and alcohol before it was clean. WOW! Maybe it's just because I'e had the tints on for so long, but that shiny bright red jup popped against the new silver decals and the black crystal pearl. I'm not sure I want to put the new ones on now. If not, I will sell them to anyone who wants them. They're still in the original packaging and only the instructions were taken out (and put back in).

Anyway, on a wild hair, I decided to remove the head lamp covers too. It was dark enough that I wasn't sure if it was better or not, but when I turned the lights on those Silver Stars really brightened things up much more than I am used to. I am going to consider some options before I decide what to do for sure. I may just go back to the GTS covers for special occasions.

However, I was very disappointed to notice the passenger side head lamp had quite a bit of "crazing" in it, while the driver's side is perfectly clear. Crazing is that spider-webbing effect you get in polycarbonate plastic. It makes the car look like it has a cataract on one side.

So, here are the questions:
  1. What happened to RBAftermarket? I see RockBlocker is still posting but his introduction home page doesn't go anywhere.
  2. Why would one head light craze over and not the other one?
  3. How difficult is it to change the head lamp out?
  4. Anyone know what the cost of a new headlamp is?

09 Challenger SRT8, Hemi-Orange - 6 Speed Manual, Window Tint, Predator Tuning

06 Charger SRT8, Brilliant Black -K&N CAI, MagnaFlow Exhaust, B&G Stage II, Slotted Rotors, 180 T-Stat, Window Tint, SilverStars, Blinker Mod, RiderGraphix, Visor Decals, Billet Tech Shifter, Front Emblem & Under the Hood Goodies, Debadged & Demolded, Splash Guards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-02-2008, 08:28 AM
pbuli

I have "crazing" on both of my headlights after removing my Rockblockers. Dealer said they will replace the headlights under warranty. Not sure if you still have a warranty but it may be the best way to go. The front fascia has to be removed to replace the headlights.
#3 Old 06-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Aremel

(Thread Starter)
Okay. Thanks and I was going to check with the dealership. Just to be clear though, crazing is inherit within the polycarbonate lens and doesn't have anything to with RockBlockers.
#4 Old 06-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Here'sJohnny

I am very interested in them, you say they are tinted covers?... PM me if you decide to sell.

2008 Black (the fastest!) R/T R&T fully loaded except OEM HID's and Rear Seat Entertainment.
Mods: AFE stage 2 CAI, Seat belt persistent warning deleted, Painted Calipers, Grille Lighting CCFL and strobes, Shaved Rear Ram Head, "Black Betty" 3rd brake light mask, Door lock rings, Apexcone/DDM Tuning HID Conversion (all 3), Tinted Tails, OEM SRT Hood, Recarro Seat (for my son), Ceramic Window Tint by Huper Optic
www.trianglemopars.org
#5 Old 06-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Aremel

(Thread Starter)
They are heavy duty tinted vinyl and they look great, in my opinion.

#6 Old 06-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Manicmechanic

I recently removed my Rockbockers on the tails as well, I only hade them on there to line up with my Daytona stripe across the trunk lid. What you might consider doing is leaving the rears off and painting the top and sides body color, looks a lot better IMHO.

2006 Torred Daytona # 1988 Tunable 2-3/4 Exhaust,Remote 996XT GPS Scanner, SRT Wheels/Legmaker modded, BC Racing Coilovers, Demon Eyes Front/Rear, Silverstars, V-1 Hardwired, SRT Brakes, RK Sport Hood. PaddleShifters, '09 MYGIG. I still open the car door for my Wife, so she doesn't scratch the paint with her nails! You can learn a lot watching Counting Cars and American Restoration, but not about Chargers. For that we have this forum.
#7 Old 06-03-2008, 06:34 AM
clemsonchemist

do those pictures show the smoked or the dark smoked tint?
#8 Old 06-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Aremel

(Thread Starter)
Those are the 20% smoked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List