SRT-8 Charger: Reliability, weak spots, maintenance... - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger SRT-8 Discussion This area is for discussion involving the SRT-8 version of the Dodge Charger.

#1 Old 05-17-2008, 04:04 PM
RichEd223

Send a message via AIM to RichEd223
(Thread Starter)
SRT-8 Charger: Reliability, weak spots, maintenance...

I am seriously considering one of these bad boys, used... I am looking to find out what the weak spots of this car are, the reliability of it as well as maintenance costs.

For example, I have ruled out the CTS-V because it has an unpredictably weak rear end. The only fix for that costs about $5,000 bucks for a built one from one of the few sources...

I want to know what is known to break, why and how much is it to fix... the weak spots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-17-2008, 04:14 PM
nickinfleet
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Send a message via AIM to nickinfleet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichEd223 View Post
I am seriously considering one of these bad boys, used... I am looking to find out what the weak spots of this car are, the reliability of it as well as maintenance costs.

For example, I have ruled out the CTS-V because it has an unpredictably weak rear end. The only fix for that costs about $5,000 bucks for a built one from one of the few sources...

I want to know what is known to break, why and how much is it to fix... the weak spots.
ive had mine for 1300 miles and i havent found 1 problem with the car. i love it.

#3 Old 05-17-2008, 04:15 PM
PUREVIL

Gas mileage.... mine is terrible because I keep the foot planted to the floor while doing burnouts or drifting, screaming WOOOOOOWHOOOOOO and flipping off grannies. Im the blacksheep of this dysfunctional family!

Otherwise do a search for TSB and you should find alot of threads regarding recalls and such. Some of the more notable ones off the top of my head are coolant gunk, brake rotors, sunroof rattles, Im sure there are more important ones but those are the ones i remember for some reason.

2007 Charger SRT8: Project Ocho - Removed Molding/Emblems / AFE Stage II Intake / Zoomers Cat Back Exhaust / KW V2 Coilovers / McCulloch's 5000K HIDs / Centric Pads / 402 Tinted Tail Lights / Daytona Grill / Rider Graphix / 30% Tint All Around / Billet Technologies Custom "Big Slick" Emblem / Diablosport Predator / Custom Finished ID 311 22s w/ Nitto Invos / Much More Coming soon.
#4 Old 05-17-2008, 04:17 PM
budoboy

If you plan on drag racing with drag radials or slicks the stock half-shafts aren't very stout.
#5 Old 05-17-2008, 04:25 PM
OldCrow

Maintenance is high IMO.
Expensive Brakes that don't last long,
expensive tires that probably won't last long if you drive it like it's supposed to be,
7 quarts of expensive synthetic oil,
poor fuel mileage and premium fuel required.

2006 Charger SRT8, Silver- All Options. Diablo Predator, 180TStat, EBC Yellow Stuff, Nitto Invos-"Daily Driver"
#6 Old 05-17-2008, 04:29 PM
nickinfleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrow View Post
Maintenance is high IMO.
Expensive Brakes that don't last long,
expensive tires that probably won't last long if you drive it like it's supposed to be,
7 quarts of expensive synthetic oil,
poor fuel mileage and premium fuel required.
all this stuff comes with owning an srt vehicle imo. you think our tires and brakes are bad? my buddy has an e46 m3 and he put new tires on the m3 last january (08) and already needs a new set .
#7 Old 05-17-2008, 04:37 PM
RichEd223

Send a message via AIM to RichEd223
(Thread Starter)
These are all small beans kind of things I think... I mean deal breaker flaws...
#8 Old 05-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Darnice

Mercedes parts are the problamatic parts, Chrysler parts are fine.
Tranny''s connector leaks (merc)
Half shafts weak (merc) rarly break but can
Shifts are so so, (merc)
Odd controls on 2006's (merc) resolved on 07's
Brakes on 2006's required new rotors for groving issues.
other than that, the cars are pretty good, the odd one has issues, but most hold up well with maintenece.
#9 Old 05-17-2008, 04:57 PM
black08
Banned User

I`v got sum cheese to go with that wine! You guy`s are a trip....you buy a high performance car and then moan and groan becuase you have to take care of it. Come on guy`s/gal`s
#10 Old 05-17-2008, 04:59 PM
nickinfleet

the biggest flaw on the srt8 charger is that is came naturally aspirated. should have came supercharged from the factory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger SRT-8 > Charger SRT-8 Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List