Hard Transmission shifting? - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

#1 Old 03-13-2008, 09:00 PM
08ChargerSE+

(Thread Starter)
Post Hard Transmission shifting?

Just got my Charger last month. An 08 Charger SE Plus, 3.5L 4 Speed tranny. 1000 Miles. When the car shifts into 3rd or maybe 4th gear, sometimes you can feel a mild to a little harder bump from the transmission as it shifts. I know the car isn't even broken in yet, but with all the other owners out there, just checking the collective knowledge, and wondering if this was normal?

'08 Steel Blue Dodge Charger SE Plus w/18's
Mods: HighPo Drop in Air Filter, 35% all around, MOPAR Fog Lights
Wish List: Rear Spolier, CAI
I do not support street racing. Keep that to the drag strip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Doctor No

You wont find anyone with similar condtions unless they have a 08. All 05-07's with the 3.5 come with 5 speed tranny. You have been downgraded to the 4 speed which use to mated only to the 2.7 v-6. Look for 2.7 v-6 powered cars with 4 speed tranny on old posts for similar problems
#3 Old 03-16-2008, 10:59 PM
hawk25

You might want to check over at the the lxforums or 300cforums. All 2005 and some 2006 chrysler 300 touring and limited editions that were not AWD had the 4 speed trans. Just take it into your dealership and let the update the trans. There is a TSB that has be revised at least 6 or more times for issues with shifting quality with the 42RLE trans. The update consist of software update and in some cases replacement of the torque converter with one with better friction properties to control shudder and the rumble strip effect.
#4 Old 03-18-2008, 11:55 PM
relic21

Send a message via AIM to relic21
Mine is in the shop right now for that problem...and the rumble strip effect, as hawk mentioned. After talking with other owners I found it is not normal but as for what the fix will be I don't know yet. I will update you when mine comes home.
#5 Old 03-18-2008, 11:58 PM
08Black3.5SE+

mine had that issue...but i think im gonna try to put the 5 speed in now anyways as i rebuild, never even got it broke in....
________
VOLVO REDBLOCK ENGINE

Last edited by 08Black3.5SE+; 02-13-2011 at 04:52 AM.
#6 Old 03-19-2008, 12:28 AM
ChargeRonDavinS

Send a message via AIM to ChargeRonDavinS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Black3.5SE+ View Post
mine had that issue...but i think im gonna try to put the 5 speed in now anyways as i rebuild, never even got it broke in....
5 speed kicks @$$!!

Mortgage Professional - Indiana Florida Georgia
2012 F150 FX4 - 24s, 2 10's, Halos/LED Strips, Tinted LED Tails, Pioneer Navi, HIDs (Deathray variety), LED Kit
2013 Fusion Titanium - Tinted tails & Corners, LED strip, HIDs, LED kit, 15% Tint
2008 Explorer XLT 4x4 - 22" wheels, Pioneer AppRadio, Halos, HIDs, Etc[/COLOR]
#7 Old 03-19-2008, 06:06 AM
GB49

My moms 07 Caravan is shifting hard and doing the rumble strip thing too.

I'm going to take it in soon. Thought maybe there was a flash update for it.

In my opinion Chrysler transmissions are crude junk.

Had the same problem with my 95 Intrepid. It was rebuilt under factory warranty.

-GB

http://greatlakesmarinetteclub.com/Charger/signature/sig.jpg
2007 (build date July, 07) Silver SXT
Mods: Magnaflow dual exhaust, AFE II, silver wiper fluid nozzles, silver front license plate frame, sequential turn signals, de-molded doors,de-badged rear rams head, glove box light, upgraded to Sound Group II
#8 Old 03-19-2008, 06:28 AM
Phanta5m
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargeRonDavinS View Post
5 speed kicks @$$!!
5 speed does kick ass
#9 Old 03-21-2008, 08:35 AM
08ChargerSE+

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by relic21 View Post
Mine is in the shop right now for that problem...and the rumble strip effect, as hawk mentioned. After talking with other owners I found it is not normal but as for what the fix will be I don't know yet. I will update you when mine comes home.

Mine is also doing the "Rumble Strip" thing, mostly when i first take off while slightly turning, like out of a parking space. I would like to know what happens at the shop, if they were able to correct your problems with a flash. Yours an 08 with a 4 speed?

Build date on mine was Jan 08, I bought it Feb 08, so one would assume that I had all the current programs since the car is only 3 months old , But you never know.

Keep us posted

[Edit] I just checked Alldata.com and Didn't see any recalls or TSB's for my 08 for Hard Shifting or anything transmission related

Last edited by 08ChargerSE+; 03-21-2008 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Adding Info
#10 Old 03-22-2008, 02:17 AM
hawk25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB49 View Post
My moms 07 Caravan is shifting hard and doing the rumble strip thing too.

I'm going to take it in soon. Thought maybe there was a flash update for it.

In my opinion Chrysler transmissions are crude junk.

Had the same problem with my 95 Intrepid. It was rebuilt under factory warranty.

-GB
I havent heard any updates or flashes for the 41TE.. Chrysler transmissions arent junk its just that management can be penny pinchers. The 41TE is a great transmission you just have to take care of it correctly and on time. Also this trans if very smooth in all operations which is not bad at all for such an old design. I do remember the 95-97 trans issues which most of the problems were due to faulty input out put senors (prob cheapo company chrysler choose????) and wrong fluid type. Now if you want to say a Cruddy transmission than you should point the finger at FORD for their Ax4S Piece o Crap. http://www.ford-forums.com/ford-wind...nsmission.html You should try out the new 6 speed transmissions from chrysler.... race car inspired and also can be clunky as your driving fast stoping and taking back off. Nice transmission any how very nice R to D transitions smooth.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List