How to turn off check engine light in 3.5L? - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

#1 Old 01-30-2008, 03:23 PM
raystash

(Thread Starter)
How to turn off check engine light in 3.5L?

Hey everyone,

I was stuck in snow & I had to rev up quite a bit trying 2 get out. Then my check engine light comes on??? I'm sure it's nothing but I want that off. Anyone know how to turn it off?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Black '06 Charger. Keeping it clean. Debadged. 50% tint all around & 22" AR Torq Thrust M's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-30-2008, 03:45 PM
alocharlie_golf

Try disconnecting the battery ground (negative post) for 60 seconds. that should clear the default codes.

#3 Old 01-30-2008, 04:09 PM
raystash

(Thread Starter)
thanks...i'll give this a try now.
#4 Old 01-30-2008, 04:11 PM
jarpod

Send a message via Yahoo to jarpod
geez that is the worst advice ever!
disconnecting and reconnecting the bat is just plain dumb since there are active circuits and computers active that might get damaged if you do that.
Take it to the dealer and see what the code is! you might have a serious issue and your charger is just telling you that it needs to be checked!
the battery thing might work, but you are better off going to a dealer

Waiting for:
2009 Jeep Liberty limited custom built with every single factory option there is.

All Gone
2006 Silver R/T with factory Uconnect and sunroof
#5 Old 01-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Ksleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarpod View Post
geez that is the worst advice ever!
disconnecting and reconnecting the bat is just plain dumb since there are active circuits and computers active that might get damaged if you do that.
Take it to the dealer and see what the code is! you might have a serious issue and your charger is just telling you that it needs to be checked!
the battery thing might work, but you are better off going to a dealer

You won't cause any damage to your car by disconnecting the battery. I would do the key jiggle and get the CEL code your self. If its a serious code than take to the dealer, if not than try reseting w/ the battery disconnected
#6 Old 01-30-2008, 05:24 PM
raystash

(Thread Starter)
thanks 4 the advice guys. i'm due for a check up so i'll be going in 2 the dealer soon anyhow. that light is annoying though & it only went off after i had 2 rev up quite a bit 2 get outta the snow so i turned it off.
#7 Old 01-30-2008, 05:30 PM
REDNECK Charger

Cool

My engine light lately has been going on and off.. I get to about 1/2 tank of fuel.. Light comes on.. fill the tank.. light goes off.. Been doing that for about a week now..

I would do the key jiggle and get the CEL code your self. If its a serious code than take to the dealer, This works?

Cheers..
REDNECK Charger....
drive4als@yahoo.ca
If ya can't stand behind our Troops.. then try to stand in front of them....
#8 Old 01-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Ksleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNECK Charger View Post
My engine light lately has been going on and off.. I get to about 1/2 tank of fuel.. Light comes on.. fill the tank.. light goes off.. Been doing that for about a week now..

I would do the key jiggle and get the CEL code your self. If its a serious code than take to the dealer, This works?
??????????
#9 Old 01-31-2008, 08:03 AM
jarpod

Send a message via Yahoo to jarpod
and I quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedchargerrt View Post
I've done hundreds of these and its always been fixed with just the update. Thats weird. Its possible you have a bad switch but like i said i've done lots through the bcm update and all were fine. Besides if the switch were bad it would be done for good.
BCM is body control module which runs all interior accesories and wipers.

To everyone, not just jarpod:
ONce again, not being mean to you jarpod, but i've told hundreds of times on this forum that the battery cable pulling is dumb and has zapped many modules i've seen. Especially dont want to pull that cable within an hour of driving the vehicle as almost 20 modules are still running and anyone that knows electronics knows if you pull the ground the ground circuit has to be supressed somehow. Electricity doesnt just stop flowing when the cable is pulled it has to rest somewhere. Please quit pulling cables everyone thinking its the magic fix for everything. The car is not a program of windows where unplugging things makes it go away. Ok i'm done

The dtc pulling above wont acess bcm codes, only pcm codes and communications codes. I dont believe i 've ever gotten a body code from the evic.

Back to the switch thing. IF you want to get into pulling the door panel and diaging this issue i can walk you through it but you'll need a dvom, and you'll have to pull the door panel. The door panel on caravans have *****y clips that like to break and if you have a town and country you dont want to pull the panel if you dont have to that gets into a whole other bag of worms.

Here is my next idea in lieu of the bcm replacement. The bcm is located above where your left foot would sit while driving down the road. Get to this where you can see it. Get the door locks to screw up, then smack the pudding out of the bcm , if this gets them working again you have a bad contactor switch internal to the bcm and you will need to replace.
you actually learn stuff in here, so that is why I didn't suggested to disconnect the battery
hope it helps
#10 Old 01-31-2008, 09:06 AM
tbest

I have also had the light come on a few times and it was fuel related. All I had to do was take the gas cap off, then put it back on and give it a good 5 turns. Sometimes you have to go a few miles down the road, but the light will go off. In Oregon it is illegal to pump your own gas, so after the attendent fills my tank, I always give it a few extra turns.

06 Dodge Charger 3.5L HO, D'Molded, Honeycomb Grill Insert, 20% Tint, Daytona Wheels & TOYO Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List